Sportscene

ball goes backwards

(edit. Doesn't matter. If the player is coming from an offside position the direction of the pass doesn't matter. In this instance to ball was played by Matondo and not by the St Johnstone player. )

giphy.gif
you should be put on VAR :)

It was offside. No point in us trying to pretend otherwise. Leave that sort of stuff to the dark side. It made no difference to the outcome as we’d have strolled it regardless.

Colak must be wondering what’s he’s come to. Gets a good goal disallowed for offside at Livi then a fortnight later an offside goal gets given. Some place Scotland.
As I said...it might just have been the right call but what do they say?...these things even themselves out over the season!

I’m not sure the ball actually comes off Rab. The last touch looks like it could have come off both at the same time.

edit: He’s off and I see the enablers are going mental. :)

Last edited:
Tried to Google it but can’t find it. I’m remembering a game not long ago when a player was in an offside position in the opponents box and scored. It wasn’t giving as offside as the ball was hit off his teammate hence the pass wasn’t intended for him. The same scenario in Colak’s goal …… maybe.

ball goes backwards

(edit. Doesn't matter. If the player is coming from an offside position the direction of the pass doesn't matter. In this instance to ball was played by Matondo and not by the St Johnstone player. )

giphy.gif
Tidy finish from a guy that will embarrass himself in Europe and is altogether useless.

I was more perturbed that wee diving bastard Martin Boyle never got discussed for being the cheat that he is! He’s at it all the time, I absolutely despise him!

Looked onside to me and a great instinctive finish from the big guy, he knows where the goal is that’s for sure, all round a fantastic performance from the Bears today and our team really looks like it’s starting to gel with a few more gears to go

Looked onside to me and a great instinctive finish from the big guy, he knows where the goal is that’s for sure, all round a fantastic performance from the Bears today and our team really looks like it’s starting to gel with a few more gears to go
Certainly a good finish, and he appears to be a real goalscorer. Give him service and we're laughing I reckon.

As for the onside comment, I'll just ignore it and let you live in bliss. The team is looking good.

Bit of a weird outlook, are we not supposed to discuss the goals or do we only talk about decisions when it suits us? Therefore making us as bad as them, the BBC etc etc.
Not a weird outlook to me, I don't care what the bbc say and I certainly have no problems with us getting a goal, offside or not.

Thanks for posting this, first I've seen it back. I actually think he's onside looking closely at that. Follow the cut of the grass and don't just look at how far in front of the others that angle makes him out to be, and you see the defender marking Matondo has his foot pulled right back in an attempt to clear the ball just as Matondo gets his foot on it. It's extremely close, but I genuinely think he's playing him on.
I agree. And when V.A.R. comes in we'll know for sure. But for now, the Famous Glasgow Rangers have won 4-0 and if it sends all those 19th Century Terrorist Cunts over the edge then that will do for me !

ive watched that 'offside' gif quite a few times and im convince the StJ player inbetween Rabi & Colak goes to play the ball (make a save) :

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

the attempt by the StJ player in-between Rabi & Colak makes him onside imo

First rule learned is you play to the whistle…..he did he scored…..end of!!!

Ps we should have had a penalty in first half for handball imho, we didn’t as the whistle didn’t blow….end of!!!

ive watched that 'offside' gif quite a few times and im convince the StJ player inbetween Rabi & Colak goes to play the ball (make a save) :

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Are you saying that the attempt to stop the ball by the St J player was a ‘deliberate save’?

If so, then the bit in brackets in your second para (the ‘except from’….) would apply and he’d be deemed to have gained an advantage and be offside.

That says he is offside then, he is onside if he gets the ball from the defending team except if it was a deliberate save or attempted save.

I was reading on here earlier that apparently he scrored a goal against Livi that was incorrectly chopped off. But posters don't like to talk about it much.

Are you saying that the attempt to stop the ball by the St J player was a ‘deliberate save’?

If so, then the bit in brackets in your second para (the ‘except from’….) would apply and he’d be deemed to have gained an advantage and be offside.
i was more referring to the attempt to play the ball as it was going slightly away from the goal, if it going towards the goal then it would be deemed a save, that is simply my interpretation (im not a ref)

Must confess it didnt occur to me this goal might have been offside until I read it on here. I've watched it several times now, and although Colak is in an offside position when Matondo plays the ball, the interception goes slightly backwards, from a slight deflection off the defender, and Colak moves backwards to collect it, then pivots and strikes.

I must confess theyve dicked about with the offside rule so much in recent years i'm not 100% sure, but I always thought you couldnt be offside from a backwards pass. There's also the posibility it was ruled that the defender was the last person to play the ball before Colak

Must confess it didnt occur to me this goal might have been offside until I read it on here. I've watched it several times now, and although Colak is in an offside position when Matondo plays the ball, the interception goes slightly backwards, from a slight deflection off the defender, and Colak moves backwards to collect it, then pivots and strikes.

I must confess theyve dicked about with the offside rule so much in recent years i'm not 100% sure, but I always thought you couldnt be offside from a backwards pass.

Only if you are behind the ball when it is played

So when did the forward/backwards pass rule change?

When I played the game you couldn't be offside from a ball played back to you.
This article is from 2020…

So, can you be offside from a backwards pass? Yes, you can be offside from a backwards pass. If the recieving player is in an offside position when the pass is played, the direction of the pass is irrelevant.

This article is from 2020…

So, can you be offside from a backwards pass? Yes, you can be offside from a backwards pass. If the recieving player is in an offside position when the pass is played, the direction of the pass is irrelevant.

Aye, I was a bit puzzled with the whole conversation in here.

I had assumed that Colak was receiving the ball from a position behind the ball which definitely is onside but having just watched a replay of the goal there, I see that he was ahead of the ball when the pass was made.
I never noticed that in real time.

This is the correct response, you can't be offside if a ball is played backwards.

It's embarrassing professional analysts don't know this is the rule!

Great finish as well
You should probably get your facts right before calling anyone embarrassing, Colak was offside ffs he was ahead of the ball when it was played, it doesn’t matter that it was backwards. It’s already been cleared up multiple times.

Back