Spurs make history - Seats with barriers in new stadium

mdingwall

Administrator
Safe Standing Update
April 2019
Spurs make history
Seats with barriers in new stadium
SGSA confirms compliance. Who will be next?
d16be4bcd862423d8123994c6b7328e5.jpg

'Seats incorporating barriers' (aka rail seats) made their debut in the Premier League on 3rd April as Spurs opened their brand new stadium. As reported here, some 7,500 seats with barriers have been installed in the stadium as an added safety measure should fans in the areas concerned persistently stand.
In a statement given to the Press Association, the Sports Ground Safety Authority said: “Our focus is on the safety and enjoyment of fans. Spurs have recognised the risk of persistent standing in seated areas and taken pre-emptive steps to address this with the introduction of seats incorporating safety bars in some areas of the ground. The seating and safety bar at the ground meet the requirements of the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds (Green Guide)."
Indeed, as I wrote in my November update, the Guide now advises that if ground operators have areas in their stadium where fans persistently stand, they should consider installing such seating in order to mitigate the safety risk.
Reflecting on the new circumstances, a number of legal minds have observed that failure to do so could leave clubs in hot water.
Also in the news since the turn of the year has been Wolves' appraisal of a number of seat/barrier options in a small area of Molineux and the launch of a new model of rail seat specifically addressing the requirements of grounds in England and Wales that are subject to the current all-seater policy.
I hope, as ever, that you find this update and the items linked to of interest. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to try to answer them, be that wearing my hat as a campaigner or as an agent for Ferco.
Cheers,
Jon
PS: And finally... in addition to my season tickets at Bristol City and 1. FC Union Berlin, I was delighted this week to get my first season ticket for FC Brickstand - in the rail seat area, of course!

It's been a fantastic move by Spurs - and as mentioned on the CL thread I'm there tonight and lucky enough to be in the rail seating section. Atmosphere will be sensational. Cannot wait.

Very jealous! My colleague is a Spurs fan and says the new stadium is amazing. Hoping to get tickets to go before the end of the season.

It's been a fantastic move by Spurs - and as mentioned on the CL thread I'm there tonight and lucky enough to be in the rail seating section. Atmosphere will be sensational. Cannot wait.

You mean like the time the atmosphere was against Barcelona when they scored?

These sort of things cost a fair bit of money. Something spurs aren’t short of.

To do BF1 would cost the same as Stuart Munro (60k) . It’s cheap . Whole broomie front done to perfection ? Less than £400k .

Reactions: JMA
These sort of things cost a fair bit of money. Something spurs aren’t short of.

That is true, but I'm certain that we could afford to do it also at least in a few sections. The club are simply making excuses so they don't have to do anything about safe standing.

I hate having a go at the board after what they done, but there is absolutely no doubt they are failing fans. Not just when it comes to Safe Standing but the disabled supporters etc. I'm sure more people would want that sorted than banners covering up parts of the stadium.

I travelled to watch us beat Leverkusen 2-1 in the late 90s and the section we sat in had seating like this. It was great and it is definitely something the club should be looking into. Safe standing, all ticketed and everyone gets their own patch.

To do BF1 would cost the same as Stuart Munro (60k) . It’s cheap . Whole broomie front done to perfection ? Less than £400k .
Take a look in the ST thread, people looking for no increase on the season ticket prices, and some looking for reductions. Where does the money come from, when we are also looking to sign better players.
Not knocking your estimates, or your desire for a standing section, but money is tight at this club. We are still relying on directors putting in their own money every season, just to keep us in the running, to try and catch up with that mob across the city.

I'm off to dusseldorf next week to see them against Munich then hopefully klon v Hamburg where standing areas is along with having a beer watching game is the norm I've love to see it at Ibrox in my lifetime

Take a look in the ST thread, people looking for no increase on the season ticket prices, and some looking for reductions. Where does the money come from, when we are also looking to sign better players.
Not knocking your estimates, or your desire for a standing section, but money is tight at this club. We are still relying on directors putting in their own money every season, just to keep us in the running, to try and catch up with that mob across the city.

My point remains it’s not “ expensive “ to install safe standing . Even the club agree on that part of it - shockingly cheap in reality .

I despair how many people use cost as a reason not to install it

It actually depresses me how unwilling we are to drag ourselves in to modern times at Rangers.
Money is the answer and prioritys aren't rail seating,roofs fixed,ends of stands replaced and new desso pitch laid are the clubs prioritys at present stadium wise.

For the greater good. To enhance the matchday atmosphere and attract more people to attend.[/

Our ground is full every match. For the greater good of who? A minority who like the idea of standing throughout the ninety minutes? Surely this decision would have to go to a ballot. We can't just make a decision like this through listening to those who shout loudest.

As mentioned yesterday, I went to the Spurs game last night. Just reporting back that the stadium is utterly incredible in every way (as you'd expect for £1bn).

The most impressive stadium i had been to before last night was the Allianz Arena in Munich. But Spurs' eclipses that IMO.

I was in the South Stand (Wall/Kop) and was in the section where they have rail seating - so everyone was standing. It was fantastic. One thing I would say is that the acoustics are sensational. The noise was superb and it seems to be kept well contained within the stadium more than any stadium I have been to. The sound level seemed to linger for longer and didn't escape instantly.

I also walked around a few different sections before ko and the view from each is brilliant - they have kept the feeling of being tight and close to the pitch.

The concourses are something else - great place to spend time before and after the game, where there is entertainment and bars/food areas remained open until 11pm. You can walk round the whole ground - apart from away section obviously so it's great if you want to meet up with mates etc. and try different bars/stalls. The after match bit was a great idea and gave us time to let the crowds disperse before getting train.

The only thing that lets it down is the fact that, for such an incredible stadium, there is no real impressive 'walkway' up to the stadium. Having been to WHL a number of times over the years it was just surreal to see the new stadium just on the same site but huge and modern - whereas the surrounding areas is still as much of a shitehole as it has always been. But I guess that is the compromise for remaining at the spiritual home etc.

Overall it actually exceeded my expectations which were already high. I'd highly recommend a visit if you can get hold of a ticket - and their rail seating/safe standing section - which I think holds 7,000 is a huge attraction to me. That whole 'wall' stand - 17,000 - is utterly fantastic and the songs just kicked off and spread like wildfire. Spurs have thought of every type of fan and it works incredibly well.

We - along with most other clubs - can only dream of having such a set up and facilities. Speaking to many of the lads last night - for now they have switched from going to the pub before the game and are happy to get into the ground a bit earlier and get the beers in there - and the money goes to the club. Wish we could do the same.

Hope my ramblings give a flavour of what it is like !

As mentioned yesterday, I went to the Spurs game last night. Just reporting back that the stadium is utterly incredible in every way (as you'd expect for £1bn).

The most impressive stadium i had been to before last night was the Allianz Arena in Munich. But Spurs' eclipses that IMO.

I was in the South Stand (Wall/Kop) and was in the section where they have rail seating - so everyone was standing. It was fantastic. One thing I would say is that the acoustics are sensational. The noise was superb and it seems to be kept well contained within the stadium more than any stadium I have been to. The sound level seemed to linger for longer and didn't escape instantly.

I also walked around a few different sections before ko and the view from each is brilliant - they have kept the feeling of being tight and close to the pitch.

The concourses are something else - great place to spend time before and after the game, where there is entertainment and bars/food areas remained open until 11pm. You can walk round the whole ground - apart from away section obviously so it's great if you want to meet up with mates etc. and try different bars/stalls. The after match bit was a great idea and gave us time to let the crowds disperse before getting train.

The only thing that lets it down is the fact that, for such an incredible stadium, there is no real impressive 'walkway' up to the stadium. Having been to WHL a number of times over the years it was just surreal to see the new stadium just on the same site but huge and modern - whereas the surrounding areas is still as much of a shitehole as it has always been. But I guess that is the compromise for remaining at the spiritual home etc.

Overall it actually exceeded my expectations which were already high. I'd highly recommend a visit if you can get hold of a ticket - and their rail seating/safe standing section - which I think holds 7,000 is a huge attraction to me. That whole 'wall' stand - 17,000 - is utterly fantastic and the songs just kicked off and spread like wildfire. Spurs have thought of every type of fan and it works incredibly well.

We - along with most other clubs - can only dream of having such a set up and facilities. Speaking to many of the lads last night - for now they have switched from going to the pub before the game and are happy to get into the ground a bit earlier and get the beers in there - and the money goes to the club. Wish we could do the same.

Hope my ramblings give a flavour of what it is like !

Be interesting to see how long the standing lasts & whether the club via the stewards will soon crack down on it, (see my link above) especially in European games.

Be interesting to see how long the standing lasts & whether the club via the stewards will soon crack down on it, (see my link above) especially in European games.

Yes it interesting how they been able to have it and in use despite the fact that in England there is an act preventing it, there needs to be a change in law before technically they can use it

Not against it been put in

Well from last night i saw no attempt from stewards to get people to sit down. Was never happening with thousands standing. There was no way stewards could implement that in a million years.

I think it's just a case of Spurs being seen to be mentioning to their fans so that they can say to Uefa that they did try to make a stance.

In reality it is a standing section for 7,000 and nothing is going to change that from what I can see. The fans bought ST's in there so they could stand. And quite right too. It is a fantastic facility. I long for that day that Ibrox has a standing section. Far more enjoyable.

It actually depresses me how unwilling we are to drag ourselves in to modern times at Rangers.

Depresses me fans can't see the bigger picture and that other more important things need done that cost a lot of money and take precedence.

I have no doubt within 10 years it will be at Ibrox, however id rather it was in a clean, upgraded Ibrox worthy of Rangers with a team on the pitch to match rather than a run down, tired and filthy looking Ibrox with a shite team.

Patience.

Not at all. I am glad Ibrox and Anfield are proper old school grounds.

Was chatting the other day to a Spurs fan I am mates with. He was at the opening game. Apparently they have beer taps that fill glasses from the bottom up. He was saying fans have sussed it already and poke the bottom of their mates’ glasses and give them a beer bath.

Depresses me fans can't see the bigger picture and that other more important things need done that cost a lot of money and take precedence.

I have no doubt within 10 years it will be at Ibrox, however id rather it was in a clean, upgraded Ibrox worthy of Rangers with a team on the pitch to match rather than a run down, tired and filthy looking Ibrox with a shite team.

Patience.

Fans have had patience for quite some time now. Asking for more engagement and progress to improve the fan experience isn’t too much to ask for. It’s been priced and is not expensive at all.

I realize there's probably a lot of answers here but what is it that makes them safe?

Overcrowding and crushing was the danger.

How do these prevent that?

I realize there's probably a lot of answers here but what is it that makes them safe?

Overcrowding and crushing was the danger.

How do these prevent that?

There’s a rail/barrier between every row of seats.

Back