Spurs non playing staff 20% pay cut

Could that happen with contracts ?
Only way employer can furlough staff unless there is contractual provision is for the staff to agree. Players simply aren’t going to agree to accept solely the £2500 the club can claim from the government so the club would still need to significantly top up to something closer to normal salaries. And any reduction in salary again needs to agreed.

Complication for players is that furloughed staff are not allowed to do any work so furloughed players wouldn’t be able to train. They could keep fit themselves at home but not train at the club. Now at the moment most might at home anyway but it’s an added complication.

In reality this means the best approach would be ala Barcelona and agreeing a % wage cut.

That is shocking with the amount of money these clubs through about down there that they won't pay the normal staff their full wages.

Must be a bit galling if you're on £600 a week and the fella that's just walked past you is on £200k per week. Not the players' fault but a sleekit move from Levy.

Bloody disgraceful that an EPL team furloughs their non-playing staff to rip off the tax payer. The multi-millionaires in the team and on their board should get a kick in the baws.

Just seen yesterday that Levy got a £3m bonus on completion of the new stadium, and it was months late.

Disgusting the money that gets thrown about down there. :mad:

What sort of saving is cutting the lesser earners on average wages by 20% going to make in comparison to players earning in excess of 100 grand a week?

Pretty poor imo.
I think its cleverly worded to avoid saying the goverment is now paying the staff wages.

Why cant the players get furloughed and live on £2.5k per month

As much as the players should absolutely be taking a hit on their wages before the staff it is simply unrealistic for them to go to 2.5k per month. It is all relative and you can guarantee that figure wouldn't even cover their mortgage payment.

Plus I am not sure if players would even be deemed as a standard employee. Perhaps treated as more of a contractor?

So they could have cut a couple of their top earners by 20% to make the same savings but instead they cut those earning hee haw.

Kane and his pals should be putting a stop to that given he’s “one of our own”

The players should be agreeing a wage cut before the club uses the JRS. The government did not intend for this scheme to prop up very wealthy football clubs. Especially since Spurs just spent hundreds of millions on a new stadium and have players earning 6 figures a week. Very poor indeed.

So they could have cut a couple of their top earners by 20% to make the same savings but instead they cut those earning hee haw.

Kane and his pals should be putting a stop to that given he’s “one of our own”

I suspect they've not cut 20%, they've cut 100%. We, tax payers, will probably be paying that 80%

Last edited:
They were banging on recently about having the most match day revenue in Europe because of the new stadium/shop/bars and food.
Surely the players will do something, it’s not as if they can go clubbing or to hookers!

Average player salary is £76k per week. The players should be taking a relatively small wage cut to make sure the rest of the staff all get their whole pay.

Good point raised in the Athletic today about the Spurs players taking a pay cut, the players could well ask why anyone needs to take a pay cut when Spurs latest accounts show they have £123m in cash in the bank and the EPL is aiming to back in 2 months.

I’m sure the Spurs employees affected by this will be consoled by the fact that Daniel Levy had deferred payment of his £3M bonus payment for completing the stadium.

I’ve felt quite distanced by football players for a while cause of the obscene wages and this only enforcing it. Hate the well they have an expensive lifestyle shit.

I get that it’s a big business but see instead of players getting hundreds of thousands. Why not make it cheaper for the people that ultimately pay it.

cheaper sky bills.
cheaper tickets
Cheaper shirts
Cheaper boots.

it is never going to happen but the justification thaT they should get the money because it is there is shit as it’s only there cause of the fans

I was quite astonished to see that it was 550 non-playing staff that Spurs had.

It makes you wonder how many WE have.

Without knowing that number (550) I'd have initially thought about 50-60.

But then again does this include all the "backroom" staff ?
All the admin people, and stadium manual workers and the rest ?

It does rather mount up when you think about it.
Will depend what they operate in house and what they contract out.

Many of those staff could be part time like those that work in the catering/hospitality side.

Just checked the 2019 Annual report, which had us down as having an average monthly number of full-time employees as :

72 football players, and

151 others (including the non-executive directors).

(In addition an average of 552 part-time employees were employed during the year to assist on matchdays and other events.)

So ... taking just the full-timers, it's not as high as I feared.

Back