Spurs v Dortmund

In stages yes. Much better second half from the boys put them under pressure and nabbed another couple late in the tie.

Let’s just say if Liverpool had just beaten Dortmund 3-0, you’d be gloating about it on here.
I thought they were poor. Look at Son’s goal, 6 or 7 Dortmund players in the box and yet none were near him. Carried very little threat in the second half. Spurs are ok but they aren’t that great. Dortmund were sleeping for the Spurs first two goals. I expected far more of them given their league position.

Spurs definitely benefit from playing at Wembley. It’s a bigger pitch and it undoubtedly helps them now that they are used to it but against a better side they will lose.

I doubt it can last though if they don’t invest in the summer. They could be facing Poch leaving for United, and be restricted with the cost of the new stadium.

I’m actually surprised given their spend they have hung in there for top four, and had a decent run in Europe.
They seem to be a lucky side. Until now, they haven’t really had many injuries to key players but they seem to play sides at the right time. You only have to look at Leicester at the weekend, they really got out of jail. Leicester should have won the game. They created great chances and fluffed them and that’s down to their poor finishing on the day, not anything positive from Spurs.

Son is a very good player who has really dug them out of jail.

They seem to be a lucky side. Until now, they haven’t really had many injuries to key players but they seem to play sides at the right time. You only have to look at Leicester at the weekend, they really got out of jail. Leicester should have won the game. They created great chances and fluffed them and that’s down to their poor finishing on the day, not anything positive from Spurs.

Son is a very good player who has really dug them out of jail.

They’ve coped better with the injuries than I expected they would to be fair. I like Son as a player. Lloris, Alli, Vertongen, Alderweileld, Kane and Eriksen are also good players.

Eriksen in particular though will be tough to keep hold of.

They’ve coped better with the injuries than I expected they would to be fair. I like Son as a player. Lloris, Alli, Vertongen, Alderweileld, Kane and Eriksen are also good players.

Eriksen in particular though will be tough to keep hold of.
They have good core. I really like Alderweireld as a defender, I think Vertongen can be got at. Kane is very consistent (albeit a diving cuunt) and Alli is a good player, although still being young, he does go through good and bad spells. Lloris has been a decent keeper although he has made a couple of errors this season, notably v Barcelona.

Pochettino is a good Manager, who will move onto better things.

The Bundesliga is not great quality. Bayern are by far the strongest club but had a weak start to the season and are a little in transition.

There are too many sides left that can beat Spurs home or away left in.

I think Liverpool will struggle v Bayern. Bayern are coming back into form whereas Liverpool have injuries at the back, which has affected recent form and are missing van Dijk for the first leg through suspension.

Overall the EPL is overrated. The Spanish side rule Europe.

I think Liverpool will be more than happy if they go out so they can concentrate on the league. One game a week gives them a massive advantage in the league.

I think Liverpool will be more than happy if they go out so they can concentrate on the league. One game a week gives them a massive advantage in the league.
I would rather see them progress. More is down to what happens to Man City I feel, unless Liverpool’s injuries continue or worsen?

Liverpool also need to get into pot 2 in the CL and so progress helps.

Not a big fan of The Yi, sorry Spurs but they have covered the loss of Kane and Alli well. Great result tonight and Poch should be a stick on for Man Utd. Son POTY for me so far. The lad Sancho looks a great player albeit faded when things went against them.

[Sigh. The same old stuff on a thread concerning an EPL team.]

A great result for Tottenham and performance. Always enjoyable to watch - and terrific to see them rise to the occasion.
I think Spurs did well on the night but Dortmund were poor considering where they are in the league. I believe they were missing a couple of players, although in fairness so were Spurs.

There seems to be an element of caginess at the start of these games, as evidenced by the first halfs last night and tonight.

I guess the stakes are so high but for the neutral cynicism is natural given the money in the game at this level now.

Not a big fan of The Yi, sorry Spurs but they have covered the loss of Kane and Alli well. Great result tonight and Poch should be a stick on for Man Utd. Son POTY for me so far. The lad Sancho looks a great player albeit faded when things went against them.
Son has really stepped up. Definitely one of the players of the year so far. If you had to nominate a top six now it would probably contain Son, van Dijk, Mané, Bernardo Silva and Aguero. Possibly Laporte?

3-0.

All the EPL is over rated posters are going to be in hiding tonight :))

Champions league wins in the past decade

Spain - 7
England - 1
Germany - 1
Italy - 1

Champions league runners up

Germany - 3
England - 3
Italy - 2
Spain - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TOTALS
Spain - 9 finalists, 7 titles
England - 4 finalists, 1 title
Germany - 4 finalists, 1 title
Italy - 3 finalists, 1 title

Europa League winners in the past decade

Spain - 6
England - 2
Ukraine - 1
Portugal - 1

Europa League runners up

Portugal - 3
England - 2
France - 1
Netherlands - 1
Ukraine - 1
Spain - 1
Germany - 1

EUROPA LEAGUE TOTALS

Spain - 7 finalists, 6 titles
England - 4 finalists, 2 titles
Portugal - 4 finalists, 1 title
Ukraine - 2 finalists, 1 title
France - 1 finalist, 0 titles
Netherlands - 1 finalist, 0 titles
Germany - 1 finalist, 0 titles

COMBINED TOTALS FOR THE LAST 20 EUROPEAN TROPHIES

Spain - 16 finalists, 13 titles
England - 8 finalists, 3 titles
Germany - 5 finalists, 1 title

I think it is fairly evident that the so called best league in the world is hugely overrated

Spain - 7
England - 1
Germany - 1
Italy - 1

Germany - 3
England - 3
Italy - 2
Spain - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TOTALS

Spain - 6
England - 2
Ukraine - 1
Portugal - 1

Europa League runners up

Portugal - 3
England - 2
France - 1
Netherlands - 1
Ukraine - 1
Spain - 1
Germany - 1

EUROPA LEAGUE TOTALS

I think it is fairly evident that the so called best league in the world is hugely overrated
Yep, Spain is the best league by a country mile. Technically far superior to the EPL and the best players in the world more often than not play for Madrid or Barcelona at some stage.

Despite the money in England, which players have stayed in England given the chance to move to the top Spanish sides?

Ronaldo left Man Utd, Pique too, Henry left Arsenal, Suarez, Coutinho and Alonso Liverpool. If the top Spanish sides want a player they launch an offensive through the press and tap the player up through sources and the player moves.

Spain - 7
England - 1
Germany - 1
Italy - 1

Germany - 3
England - 3
Italy - 2
Spain - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TOTALS

Spain - 6
England - 2
Ukraine - 1
Portugal - 1

Europa League runners up

Portugal - 3
England - 2
France - 1
Netherlands - 1
Ukraine - 1
Spain - 1
Germany - 1

EUROPA LEAGUE TOTALS

Ooft! He’s not getting up from that, throw in the towel.

COYS

Great win.

Plenty won’t fancy taking them on should they progress.

I’m a Spurs fan so a little biased but I honestly believe they could give anyone a game over two legs. They’re a team that’s now learning to win ugly and grind results - they couldn’t do that even a year or so ago

Spain - 7
England - 1
Germany - 1
Italy - 1

Germany - 3
England - 3
Italy - 2
Spain - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TOTALS

Spain - 6
England - 2
Ukraine - 1
Portugal - 1

Europa League runners up

Portugal - 3
England - 2
France - 1
Netherlands - 1
Ukraine - 1
Spain - 1
Germany - 1

EUROPA LEAGUE TOTALS

I can't believe you went to that effort to be honest. :p

I thought they were poor. Look at Son’s goal, 6 or 7 Dortmund players in the box and yet none were near him. Carried very little threat in the second half. Spurs are ok but they aren’t that great. Dortmund were sleeping for the Spurs first two goals. I expected far more of them given their league position.

Spurs definitely benefit from playing at Wembley. It’s a bigger pitch and it undoubtedly helps them now that they are used to it but against a better side they will lose.

Usual pish.

Spurs were top class last night. Phuck all to do with the pitch.

Usual pish.

Spurs were top class last night. Phuck all to do with the pitch.
The defending from Dortmund’s side was woeful. Son made a good run but with 6 players in a space where there was one attacker, you can’t be giving him that much space. Ditto for Vertongen.

Even the defending at the corner was lax.

At that level, you simply cannot give players that much space or you will be punished.

I like Son. He has saved Spurs on many occasions.

I hate Spurs but they have a fantastic manager and some really top class players, they have also proved they are far from a one man team by winning important games whilst Kane is still out.

They can and still do "Spurs" it when the going gets tough but Pochettino is definitely changing the mentality at the club.

Dortmund's pitch is exactly the same size as the one at Wembley.

I know you're a Liverpool fan but I don't know why you find it so hard to give other English teams credit. Spurs played well and fully deserve the praise they're getting.

Dortmund's pitch is exactly the same size as the one at Wembley.

I know you're a Liverpool fan but I don't know why you find it so hard to give other English teams credit. Spurs played well and fully deserved the praise they're getting.
I would surprised if Dortmund’s pitch was as big as Wembley, having been to both (Wembley many times) it certainly doesn’t look it.

It was a good result and Spurs deserved it but Dortmund’s defending was terrible. I am maybe more critical than other people? Vertongen and Son’s goals were good finishes and the deliveries into the box were good but where was the defence? To be done so easily not once but effectively three times by balls that could have been defended is suicide at that level.

Back