Squad as is or sell Morelos to fund CM?

I’d honestly say a goal getting midfielder is much more important than four strikers when you play with the one central frontman.

Morelos is also yet to prove he can do it over a full season.
Most of our team have to prove they can do it over a full season...

I have flip flopped over Alfredo all through his Rangers career. There appears to be no immediate transfer looming. Can we beef up the midfield without selling him? Can we balance the books?
If Alfredo stays, with the other strikers available we should be able to rest him and keep him fresh for a whole season.

Most of our team have to prove they can do it over a full season...

This. He has less to prove than nearly every one of his team mates. He was carrying them for ages, not vice versa.

That being said, if we get an acceptable offer I’d sell. It’s time, and with two good replacements plus Defoe we don’t need to panic so much now. Sell him and strengthen the midfield, because as it stands I don’t think the midfield is strong enough to win the league.

I think selling Morelos was already in the equation. Hopefully there was a contingency made in case we don't sell him, since we brought in new strikers before we knew he was gone.
If he stays, then as per above, happy to see Morelos stay if he can maintain focus long term.

If the choice is Alfie or another CM. Then its Alfie all day long. The biggest issue we had last season was breaking down teams who sit in. The more strikers and attacking options we have, the better chance we do that. We control the midfield in just about every game we play domestically, so while id like a midfield upgrade, its not as important an issue as getting goals

we definitely figured out how to break down the midden..took longer than I’d hoped but we did it and alfie played his part.. I say keep him as long as we can, as he’s found his shooting boots and will only push up his value if he keeps scoring..

Losing Morelos would impact this squad; keeping him and he fighting for his place would be ideal. Whether he stays is definitely not for me to say, but Morelos has had a better start to the season than was suggested by many, and he will be missed if he goes.

As said previously in the thread. We need a midfielder as priority, if we sell Alfie and get a top drawer no. 8 in , then im delighted.

If we keep the wee man, Ross Wilson needs to work something special as without a midfielder, we are struggling

I’m not sure the midfield is as problematic as some believe. One thing is for sure, we have too many midfielders. I think we need to sell Docherty, Murphy, and probably Jones. This might give us a chance of bringing in someone else (promising young player) without selling Morelos.

If that’s the choice facing us would you prefer we kept Morelos even if it meant that no more signings came in or would you sell AM (assuming acceptable bid) to fund a midfield addition?

While I’m sure we all agree that we could do with another midfielder, and especially a more dynamic one, I personally think the squad as it is would keep interesting. The issue for me last year was goals outwith AM, it’s early days but I think we can expect more from Kent, Hagi and Aribo plus Roofe and Itten.

Ideally we’d have signed Roofe and a midfielder if Morelos was to stay (IMO) but now we’re probably a bit top heavy if Morelos stays.

Anyway would you rather AM stays or CM comes in if that’s the option?
Seems an awful choice,if we can persuade Alfie to stay ,but still need cash for a CM surely we could pick up a few million for Kamara,who would be much easier to replace however, I think it’s very much out of our hands and Alfie will depart.

Sell Morelos for two new CMs - a proper number six and a proper number eight (happy with Jack and Kamara in the box to box roles) then I am in.

Roofe and Itten cover Morelos, I see no reason why we’d have brought them in without Morelos being for the off, unless he’s planning to use Roofe off the right.

I think we will play Roofe on the right as he’s played there before so it’ll be really interesting to see how we fare with an actual goal scorer in that role with Alfie still up top on his own.

However, did we really spend £3m on a backup striker in Itten?

It’s his signing more than Roofe’s that makes me think we’ll still see Morelos leave during this window.

Back