Squad management for St Mirren Game

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
What are we expecting? I think 2-3 possible changes will happen.

One change I’d contemplate is Arfield dropping into the Aribo midfield position like he did last season. Aribo has just completed 2 x 90 minute games there and looked more and more tired as the game went on. On Sunday I’d bring him in after 60/70 for Arfield . Arfield like Aribo is our most attacking/supporting midfield player , so like for like.

Fir Arfield to be the attack central midfielder then I’ve changed my mind of having Kamara / Jack in same team when attempting to break down a sit in St Mirren but with Arfield as the supporter to the front 3 , these 2 holding midfielders are perfect along with the fact Jack also becomes a goal threat when Kamara plays as he is allowed to get forward more. Davis will be kept to play 2 games in 4 days vs Legia and Celtic

The front 3... I’d play Defoe to keep Morelos fresh for legia and Celtic, also I don’t trust Clancy with him either.

Jones should come in on the left with Ojo or Stewart on right. Ojo put some shift in last night and should have been subbed after 70/75 mins. Stewart in his brief games for us linked well with Defoe and Tav. Personally I’d put Ojo on for 60/70.

Back 5 stay the same , no need to rest any fir this and none deserve to be dropped/rested . Katic should be un droppable the now as he has been better than Goldson but hopefully SG sees a very settled back 4 for next few games

With that , I’d put this attacking team out vs St Mirren , we need to break them down as they will sit in , try break up play at every point and will try to be direct when attacking or with any set plays.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Flanagan
Kamara jack
Arfield
Ojo Defoe Jones

Should be our strongest 11

Should we go ahead by 2 goals or more take key players of (if he can bring himself to make a sub that is)

This talk of resting about 5 players for Thursday is farcical.

While we looked leggy in the 2nd half last night the majority of players were rested against East Fife last weekend. I’d probably start Aribo on the bench and go full strength otherwise. Happy for either Defoe or Morelos to start.

Get the job done early doors and freshen it up 2nd half.

Last edited:
While we looked leggy in the 2nd half last night the majority of players were rested against East Fife last weekend. I’d probably start Aribo on the bench and go full strength otherwise. Happy for either Defoe to start.

Get the job done early doors and freshen it up 2nd half.
There are two Defoe’s?
Seriously, I think Aribo needs to be a first pick in games like this.

expecting minimum 5 changes

some players, like Arfield need a rest

Arfield has just had a week so 60/70 should be fine

We could rest him and play Ojo and jones as the supporters to Defoe

It’s great having these strong options

I reckon he’ll replace Morelos with Defoe, only for the fact we have a game against them next week. Clancy will be out to send Morelos off if he starts the match.

Possibly rest Davis and Aribo too?

Whilst 3 points are absolutely vital this Sunday, we also have two massive games next week. One of which (hopefully not!) could go to ET, so need to make sure key players are fit and ready for next Sunday also.

There are two Defoe’s?
Seriously, I think Aribo needs to be a first pick in games like this.

Edited now :) We should be so lucky have two Defoe’s.

I actually agree re Aribo, and I’d have had him off on the hour or before against East Fife. I just think he might sit out on Sunday and we’ll see Kamara start.

Sunday's game is as important, maybe more important than Thursday's. The League is the priority. St. Mirren beat Aberdeen at home and were unlucky to lose away to Hibs. I can't recall an easy win away to them for many years. We should field our strongest team until the game is secure then make three subs. Only change I would make to starting eleven is Jones for Ojo.

Changes should be made this Sunday vs St Mirren - who thinks the same 11 that start vs Legia at home should also start against Septic ? I’d prefer to go into each of the next 3 games as strong as possible and I think that means using 14, 15, 16 players or whatever Mr G reckons is best

Sunday's game is as important, maybe more important than Thursday's. The League is the priority. St. Mirren beat Aberdeen at home and were unlucky to lose away to Hibs. I can't recall an easy win away to them for many years. We should field our strongest team until the game is secure then make three subs. Only change I would make to starting eleven is Jones for Ojo.

Can't see arfield, Davis, ojo or morelos starting at all

We need the 4 of them for legia and Celtic at home

Jones, Defoe, King in.
Ojo, Morelos, Aribo out.

Possibly Helander if Katic or Goldson are feeling any fatigue/have a knock.

I reckon he’ll replace Morelos with Defoe, only for the fact we have a game against them next week. Clancy will be out to send Morelos off if he starts the match.

Whilst 3 points are absolutely vital this Sunday, we also have two massive games next week. One of which (hopefully not!) could go to ET, so need to make sure key players are fit and ready for next Sunday also.

It's good having that option with Defoe now. It means you can sell it to Morelos as wanting him for the European game and the Old Firm, and he won't be annoyed about being "dropped".

Meanwhile we've still a high level striker stepping in to fill the gap. It's a great spot to be in.

Personally I think we'll see some changes in the form of Barasic playing left back, Jones for Ojo, Kamara for Davis and possibly King for Aribo.

Still an incredibly strong team capable of a result but letting some important players rest.

I think Edmunson, Helander, Barisic, Kamara, Jones and Defoe will start.

Dropping Goldson and Katic is asking for trouble. We’ve got a good squad but this doesn’t mean we are making 4+ changes every game after the Europa league. Too many changes disrupts momentum. Ojo, Davis and Morelos will drop out and that will be it.

Edited now :) We should be so lucky have two Defoe’s.

I actually agree re Aribo, and I’d have had him off on the hour or before against East Fife. I just think he might sit out on Sunday and we’ll see Kamara start.
The other would need to be a left back!
(Yes, Flanagan had a real good game last night.)

The only way it's extra time is 0-0. That's not happening

Back