Squad rotation is killing us

Angrybluebear

Official Ticketer
Gerrard said a couple of weeks ago he couldn’t expect his players, particularly Centre halves to play every week.

Well 2007/08 Cuellar played 65 games, a 38 year old Davie Weir 61. It is generally accepted centre halves play longer into their career than any other position.

Every match it is like a new team we are putting out.

I accept not much we can do with injuries and suspension but change for the sake is not what we are needing. The best teams have a settled defence, particularly in the centre. We are making too many changes that players aren’t building up any understanding. Today first half Grezda kept asking for the ball early and was having to check his runs as Tav thought it was balls to Candeias who generally cuts back or holds up for Tav to overlap.

It is almost like a team of strangers going out there every week. No understanding no chemistry what so ever.

Squad rotation was the reason despite Rainieri spending more than anyone at whilst at Chelsea by a considerable amount he won nothing. He then won the league with Leicester with one of the smallest squads in the Premiership.

Hasn't stopped him playing Goldson and Tevernier in nearly every match

I think the point I am making is missed on you and merely highlights what I am saying.

2 out of 4 every week isn’t a settled defence.

For me their goal today is an example of your centre half pairing not knowing what the other is going to do, Goldson switches off because he expects Worral to deal with a bread and butter punt up the park when he makes a mess of it Goldson then isn’t positioned where he should be or switched on and he compounds Worral’s mistake by making an even bigger one.

Get your best players on the park in their natural position. If they are fit enough to train they are fit enough to play, works for everybody else.

I think the point I am making is missed on you and merely highlights what I am saying.

For me their goal today is an example of your centre half pairing not knowing what the other is going to do, Goldson switches off because he expects Worral to deal with a bread and butter punt up the park when he makes a mess of it Goldson then isn’t positioned where he should be or switched on and he compounds Worral’s mistake by making an even bigger one.

Get your best players on the park in their natural position. If they are fit enough to train they are fit enough to play, works for everybody else.
Yep. It’s an irritation. Plus he’s switched Worrall’s side today...

Not lost I am agreeing should have expanded

He says it is needed due to volume of games yet plays 2 without fail every week. Not that I am saying they don't merit place just that it doesn't lend to that argument he puts across

Centre halves shouldn't be fucked with on a weekly basis

We don't have a settled team. That is definitely causing us problems. I just don't think the boss is getting the tactics right at all and his subs are abysmal for the most part.

Something needs to change and quickly.

Gerrard said a couple of weeks ago he couldn’t expect his players, particularly Centre halves to play every week.

Well 2007/08 Cuellar played 65 games, a 38 year old Davie Weir 61. It is generally accepted centre halves play longer into their career than any other position.

I accept not much we can do with injuries and suspension but change for the sake is not what we are needing. The best teams have a settled defence, particularly in the centre. We are making too many changes that players aren’t building up any understanding. Today first half Grezda kept asking for the ball early and was having to check his runs as Tav thought it was balls to Candeias who generally cuts back or holds up for Tav to overlap.

It is almost like a team of strangers going out there every week. No understanding no chemistry what so ever.

Squad rotation was the reason despite Rainieri spending more than anyone at whilst at Chelsea by a considerable amount he won nothing. He then won the league with Leicester with one of the smallest squads in the Premiership.

I have said it before, are players today unfit compared to teams of the past? Your best 11 as often as possible wins things to kid yourself otherwise is madness. I think S.G is beginning to understand this. He comes from a background where teams can afford two first teams of internationals and has no experience otherwise. It won't work here because we can not afford it, after all it is one of the poorest leagues in Europe. The rookie will learn.

I think it’s more down to a complete lack of energy and skill from the middle of the park. Backwards and sideways passing game after game. at one point in the second half today our possession percentage was 85% but we still hadn’t had a shot at goal in the half , there’s bigger issues than the rotation of defenders IMO

I have said it before, are players today unfit compared to teams of the past? Your best 11 as often as possible wins things to kid yourself otherwise is madness. I think S.G is beginning to understand this. He comes from a background where teams can afford two first teams of internationals and has no experience otherwise. It won't work here because we can not afford it, after all it is one of the poorest leagues in Europe. The rookie will learn.

I don’t know, we seem to hear too much of players being in training but not playing. Berra for Hearts is the perfect example supposed to be out for 6 months gets brought straight back months early and flung into the team to play us. Barisic has been training for weeks he started during the week for the unders and couldn’t start today !

Too much of assessing the energy levels and relying on sports science for my liking, we need players who will take an injection and run through brick walls for you.

Gerrard done it for years, played through injuries, patched up and playing the next week.

I posted on a thread during the week McCoist played in Europe a week after key hole surgery.

I don’t know, we seem to hear too much of players being in training but not playing. Berra for Hearts is the perfect example supposed to be out for 6 months gets brought straight back months early and flung into the team to play us. Barisic has been training for weeks he started during the week for the unders and couldn’t start today !

Too much of assessing the energy levels and relying on sports science for my liking, we need players who will take an injection and run through brick walls for you.

Gerrard done it for years, played through injuries, patched up and playing the next week.

I posted on a thread during the week McCoist played in Europe a week after key hole surgery.

I agree totally. Running around for 90 mins once or twice a week should be done by professional athletes without breaking a sweat. Most any other sport, exercising for 90 mins twice a week would be known as slacking. Hence why pro's of old and most of us on FF that have played could play twice a week and never felt tired or exhausted. The sports science is just another fad like the professor coaches, total bollocks and won't last. Yea! the science guff might give you the correct nutrition balance inside but it does give you desire; will power to overcome pain and a wining mentality. Pros of today are pampered children with massive egos and a constitution of a wet paper bag. They need to try doing a real mans job to see how piss easy their lives are.

We need a settled defence, midfield, and main man up front.

We can rotate the wingers, or 1 midfielder depending on the opposition, and maybe the full backs.

The one area we simply cannot change is the centre backs, and that's what we change every fucking game.

Said on another thread - Goldsons went from an absolute world beater to looking like he's never played fitbaw ffs and it's down to the chopping and changing.

No - lack of quality is.

Our midfield is absurdity poor and couldn't even boss a 10 man Dundee.

I know we don’t play with a midfield four but as a comparison. The midfield four of;

Coulibaly, Arfield, Kent and Ejaria have a total of a handful appearances more than,

Jack, Halliday, Candeias and Middleton this season.

Is it any wonder we are what 1 point better off domestically than last season ! Quite staggering for an outlay of £10million bringing in 15 players. Particularly when our management duo of Gerrard and McAllister were top class possibly world class midfielders, well Gerrard certainly.

We’ve played every game but one available so far this season, nearly 20 non SPFL games if you include cup and Europe.

Squad rotation is a necessity.

We’ve played every game but one available so far this season, nearly 20 non SPFL games if you include cup and Europe.

Squad rotation is a necessity.

We played 67 games in 2007/08

Cuellar played 65 of these, Weir 61

Successful teams don’t switch centre halves every other game. What is the longest run we have played the same settled back four ?

Killing us?
Did you have that opinion this time last week?

Yes I’ve had it for weeks now. Probably most noticeably after the two Spartak games that were abysmal. People are going OTT because we beat Hearts last week. Truth is we got them at the right time, their results before we played them

St Mirren 2 Hearts 0
Hearts 0 Kilmarnock 1
Celtic 5 Hearts 0
Hearts 0 Hibs 0
Hearts 0 Celtic 3

Hardly burning it up were they. They hadn’t even scored in 5 games ffs.

Tynecastle was hardly a fortress.

We won’t have the same volume of games after the break. I think it’s a case of hanging on to Celtic through December, invest during January and hope to make a surge then.

Yes I’ve had it for weeks now. Probably most noticeably after the two Spartak games that were abysmal. People are going OTT because we beat Hearts last week. Truth is we got them at the right time, their results before we played them

St Mirren 2 Hearts 0
Hearts 0 Kilmarnock 1
Celtic 5 Hearts 0
Hearts 0 Hibs 0
Hearts 0 Celtic 3

Hardly burning it up were they. They hadn’t even scored in 5 games ffs.

Tynecastle was hardly a fortress.

Glad you pointed this out, thgough t I was the only one that had notice it amid the euphoria of single goal win at Tynecastle.

Glad you pointed this out, thought I was the only one that had noticed it amid the euphoria of single goal win at Tynecastle.

They were missing a number of key players. Had the likes of Souter, Dunne, Naismith been available and Berra more than the half fit he was I am sure it would have been an interesting game.

Back