SS Lazio fined for Anti-Semitism...

Mazzola10

Serie A side Lazio have been fined 50,000 euros (£43,520) after supporters displayed anti-Semitic Anne Frank stickers last October.

Fans posted images of the Holocaust victim in a Roma jersey alongside slogans such as "Roma fans are Jews".

Thirteen Lazio fans have received stadium bans of between five and eight years in connection with the incident.

The Italian football federation (FIGC) prosecutor had also asked for two games to be played behind closed doors.

But the FIGC said that their sporting tribunal had decided on a "partial acceptance" of prosecutor Giuseppe Pecoraro's requests.

The material was found before a league game against Cagliari in an area of Rome's Olympic Stadium occupied by hard-core Lazio fans known as "ultras" - known for their racist chants and often violent behaviour.

In the following round of fixtures, a passage of Frank's diary was read before matches, but some Juventus fans turned their backs and sang the Italian national anthem during a minute's silence to remember the Holocaust.

Lazio players warmed up for their 2-1 win at Bologna in jerseys with an image of Frank and the words "No to anti-Semitism".

Frank became one of the most famous Jewish victims of the Holocaustafter her diary of her life as a German Jew in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam in World War Two was published in 1947.

She died in 1945 at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp when she was 15 years old.

Lazio are currently third in Serie A, eight points behind leaders Napoli.

Another peasantry fine. If Uefa and FIFA were actually serious about stamping out racism, anti semitism etc they would increase these fines 100x times over.

Racism and anti-semitism seem to be a big problem in Italian football. Particularly nasty element to Lazio's support no doubt about it.

Didn’t de Canio play for Lazio at some point? Once a fascist always etc.
nintchdbpict000003368598.jpg

If I have it right they were banned from their Curva Nord for racist chanting and so Lazio opened the Curva Sud for them for this game. That's the Roma end so they put stickers of Anne Frank in a Roma top all over the shop. Childish but the main sticking point was that the president admitted that when he visited a synagogue to apologise he never meant it...

Italian politics are bipolar. There is a history of fascists versus communists there and still is. These extremes can be tolerated in Italian politics like nowhere else. I was in Bologna recently which is firmly communist. Things can get heated to put it mildly.

I think Lazio are my second most hated club on the planet. Vile supporters (and the Di Canio connection too)

Didn’t de Canio play for Lazio at some point? Once a fascist always etc.

I've been telling yeez for yonks.....Lazio are the popes XI.

He might have try to convince the world that the holocaust was real, but really would you believe a fascist really thinks that way.

Italian politics are bipolar. There is a history of fascists versus communists there and still is. These extremes can be tolerated in Italian politics like nowhere else. I was in Bologna recently which is firmly communist. Things can get heated to put it mildly.

Pretty sure Bologna is split between right & left these days.

Pretty sure Bologna is split between right & left these days.
You might be right. People have been disappointed with recent communist politicians and corruption. But it's still a major hub for the extreme left in Europe with a big university there.

Back