Jack Butland Potential England Call Up

Butland has just put him a photo on his Instagram story of him from this season giving the thumbs up. Could be a dig, could be nothing B-)
Could be him on holiday with his family And then the next story be him congratulating the Rangers Women? Aye could be nothing :confused:
Weird post

Yeah but Burnley are an EPL side, so that automatically means he's better than Butland.

Let's just ignore that Butland played well for us in Europe whilst Burnley have shipped 63 goals in 29 matches this season.
An english ex player this week claimed that there is a "clique" in the England squad and southgate has his own men, can't remember who it was

An english ex player this week claimed that there is a "clique" in the England squad and southgate has his own men, can't remember who it was
Not surprising at all.

He's still picking Jordan Henderson ffs, who only missed the Brazil game through injury.

International managers get very stubborn and stick with players who are clearly over the hill.

Southgate is an arsehole

Linked to Man Utd job for some reason

If he gets that job he will be lucky to see out one season before getting sacked

His choices for keeper given it’s friendlies shows he’s a one trick pony who can’t experiment and try something different and given the keeper selection for the England friendlies he doesn’t try anything new

If Radcliffe at Man Utd take him as their new manager he will be a disaster as imo he’s bang average

Southgate is an arsehole

If he gets that job he will be lucky to see out one season before getting sacked

His choices for keeper given it’s friendlies shows he’s a one trick pony who can’t experiment and try something different and given the keeper selection for the England friendlies he doesn’t try anything new

If Radcliffe at Man Utd take him as their new manager he will be a disaster as imo he’s bang average
Isn’t he doing that with Trafford?

So it’ll be like every other era then with all their golden generations

True but even in isolation when you look at, say, 10 years ago this England squad is way better than it was then in terms of quality. Yet with Southgate in charge I still remain unconvinced they will win anything.

Midfield/forward I think they have a real chance. Kane at his absolute peak right now. We all know Bellingham. Complimented by the likes of Rice, Foden, Saka, Grealish.

I wouldnt bet against them

Kid who is already with the team at St George's Park gets called up to come along and sit on the bench for 90 minutes. Not sure what I'm supposed to be raging at here.

I was at the Brazil game on Saturday with my grandson, only England player who looked anywhere half decent was Bellingham - Southgate will win nothing in the summer, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even reach the quarters

Southgate is an arsehole

To be fair to him he handed a debt to Gordon, Mainoo and Konsa (I think) against Brazil along with a first call up for the lad Braithwaite from Everton.

I agree he's a terrible manager but thought the can't experiment stuff was harsh.

There are not many international team managers who would sit in the top tier these days. It's not surprising that Southgate has flaws and blind spots in regards to picking squads and tactics.

I don't think he'd win much at Man Utd if he got the job but I think they'd look at Southgate because of what he's done for the England team, he's brought them all together to meld into a team who are a match for most teams on their day but have flaws like most teams do

so many things said about Man Utd's dressing room having huge problems in it, too many egos and players not playing for the team. A man-management type like Southgate could be a good idea because it's obvious Ten Hag is not one of those

There are not many international team managers who would sit in the top tier these days. It's not surprising that Southgate has flaws and blind spots in regards to picking squads and tactics.
...if he picked Butland, nobody on this thread would be criticising him like this, though.

I was hoping JB was called up like many of us, but the reactions to him being left out has been pathetic.

Probably because half of us were already point scoring about it before it was confirmed either way - it's fuelled 100% from disappointment, not genuine outrage.

If Jack Butland played for Celtic, we'd be pissing ourselves laughing at the tear-stained abuse aimed at Southgate.

I was at the Brazil game on Saturday with my grandson, only England player who looked anywhere half decent was Bellingham - Southgate will win nothing in the summer, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even reach the quarters
To be honest, friendlies are no benchmark for the real thing.

Most players couldn't give a %^*& and simply want to avoid injury.

I still think England will go far, but I concur, Southgate has already shown us that his approach is not the best. He literally threw away the last Euro final.

To be honest, friendlies are no benchmark for the real thing.

Most players couldn't give a %^*& and simply want to avoid injury.

I still think England will go far, but I concur, Southgate has already shown us that his approach is not the best. He literally threw away the last Euro final.

Went up 1-0 early doors in the Euro’s final and tried to shut the door on the most defensive team they could have played.

I’m sure England support must look back at that result like our chance in Seville we will never get closer than that.

Went up 1-0 early doors in the Euro’s final and tried to shut the door on the most defensive team they could have played.

I’m sure England support must look back at that result like our chance in Seville we will never get closer than that.
Absolutely mate.

Such a wasted opportunity. It was in their hands.

Southgate shat the bed.

I know many England fans who just can't go him after that. And I totally get that.

The Trafford call up makes sense given he's in the U21 squad (where he's played well) and will be sitting on the bench anyway. No point calling up Butland at this stage to (also) sit on the bench.

The opportunity missed was not calling him up in the initial squad ahead of Ramsdale, who will be lucky to play a minute of first team football between now and the summer.

Absolutely mate.

Such a wasted opportunity. It was in their hands.

Southgate shat the bed.

I know many England fans who just can't go him after that. And I totally get that.
what does that have to do with calling up (or not) Butland?

If Butland was called up, there wouldn't be a single post about him chucking a major final or ability as a manager overall....all of this discourse has 100% only come about because people are disappointed he hasn't called up Butland.

So how valid can all of these "he is a rubbish coach anyway" quotes be?

If Butland was called up, there wouldn't be a single post about him chucking a major final or ability as a manager overall....all of this discourse has 100% only come about because people are disappointed he hasn't called up Butland.

Not quite true mate…

The opinions on here are regularly the same on any England/Tournament/Southgate thread.

I think you're out of touch on this.

I think you're out of touch on this.
I fully accept he has his critics.

I'm saying that should he have a call-up to Butland, almost none of it would be in this specific thread, that's all.

It's certainly not something anyone of a non Rangers persuasion will be adding to his wrap sheet.

Reading that Sam Johnstone needs surgery won’t make the Euros.

Step up Jack Butland to take his place surely?

Personally think he should have been going anyway but hope this clears the path for the big man to get a call up.
Butland wasn’t called up to replace him for the game last night, can’t see why that would change for the euros.

He'd probably need Pickford and Ramsdale to get crocked.

And even then, that twat Southgate would still find a way to avoid him.

Back