Jack Butland Potential England Call Up

Much more interesting given Southgate saying he would select him but White won't make himself available. I guess he White doesn't want to feel like the ex who got dumped for a better looking, sexier version when James and Alexander Arnold are both fit again!
On current form, you’d have White starting over both. Southgate clearly doesn’t pick players on form though, considering the goalkeeper situation.

Absolute khuntish like behaviour from Southgate but no surprise. This is the guy who continually picks Harry fkn Maguire . Oh and Henderson even when he was playing in the Arab League
Enough said.

Moronic decision from Southgate.

Ridiculous amount of pants wetting on here about whether Butland will leave because of this. I’m sure Butland would love a recall but at 31 and enjoying his football more that ever, England won’t be at the top of his priority list.

I heard a rumours that some England players campaigned to Southgate not to call up Butland. These unnamed players were concerned that he was too handsome to have anywhere near their respective wives. He probably has a big baoby anaw and tbh if he turned up at my Wednesday nights 7''s looking for a spell in goals I'd probably race him anaw.

If you don't play in the Premier League and aren't an already established important member of the England squad, they'll look for reasons not to call you up. Jack Butland is a better goalkeeper than Sam Johnstone but one plays in the Premier League and the other doesn't.

Fikayo Tomori was a massive player for a league winning Milan side, made the leagues team of the season for the 2021-2022 season, and the likes of Eric Dier and Conor Coady were called up ahead of him for the world cup.

Only JB will know how he feels about this.
If being in the England squad is a priority of his then it looks like he might not get it here at Rangers. However, he may well put playing week in, week out at a place where he's loved ahead of that. Playing in Europe too. It's also very unlikely he'll play ahead of Pickford so injury is the only way he'll play a competitive match.
I can understand G. Southgate's position on the matter. I don't agree with it though.

This thread is utter panty-wetting nonsense.

Butland getting into the squad was only ever a possibility, never a certainty, and some got carried away based on that "maybe"

The immature reactions and calling Southgate names is really down to individuals making themselves look foolish because they chose to assume Butland was definitely getting in, not because it's some sort of war crime on Southgate's part

Southgate is an absolute fraud and as a proud Englishman it winds me up that this clueless idiot is going to ruin England's best chance of winning something.

Ramsdale is a joke figure and there's no justification for this decision.
Agreed. He sticks with his usual favourites in the squad, and on numerous occasions has refused to make attacking/creative substitutions in a major final and semi-final that ultimately cost us.

The worry is that Butland might go south because of this.

Do we really think Butland will give up challenging for trophies and playing in Europe every year and in front of 50,000 fans every second week so that he be 3rd choice keeper and sit on England's bench a few times a season? Maybe if he'd never been capped or was still young but not at this stage.

Do we really think Butland will give up challenging for trophies and playing in Europe every year and in front of 50,000 fans every second week so that he be 3rd choice keeper and sit on England's bench a few times a season? Maybe if he'd never been capped or was still young but not at this stage.

Why does Butland being over 30 rule him out of a move to England?

I don't understand why Butland is constantly positioned as untouchable in terms of rich English sides coming in yet at the same time we believe him worthy of an England call? Total contradiction

I am not suggesting Butland is itching to leave or unhappy for that matter, but what if a move to England becomes appealing based upon his personal life? Not suggesting that will happen either, but very easily could.

European football and big crowds literally never stop top performers leaving for rich leagues, someone will have to explain to me why it doesn't apply to Butland because the fact he's been there before & is over 30 doesn't cut it.

This is all sentimental and emotional nonsense with people assuming he thinks of the club like we do. Barely any of our squad do.

Why does Butland being over 30 rule him out of a move to England?

I don't understand why Butland is constantly positioned as untouchable in terms of rich English sides coming in yet at the same time we believe him worthy of an England call? Total contradiction

I am not suggesting Butland is itching to leave or unhappy for that matter, but what if a move to England becomes appealing based upon his personal life? Not suggesting that will happen either, but very easily could.

European football and big crowds literally never stop top performers leaving for rich leagues, someone will have to explain to me why it doesn't apply to Butland because the fact he's been there before & is over 30 doesn't cut it.

This is all sentimental and emotional nonsense with people assuming he thinks of the club like we do. Barely any of our squad do.
I never said it rules him out of anything. In fact I never mentioned him being over 30.

My point is if he was young and upcoming and uncapped he might make doing whatever move is necessary to get an international call up, even if it’s just to be 3rd choice. Butland has been there, done it and has the t shirt already so might prefer what he has here to moving south just to get a call up to sit on England’s bench

I never said it rules him out of anything. In fact I never mentioned him being over 30.

My point is if he was young and upcoming and uncapped he might make doing whatever move is necessary to get an international call up, even if it’s just to be 3rd choice. Butland has been there, done it and has the t shirt already so might prefer what he has here to moving south just to get a call up to sit on England’s bench

You didn't say it as a what if, you were almost belligerent at the possibility of him sacrificing European football and larger crowds.

He took a pay cut to come here, probably subsidised by a big signing on fee.

If a top half EPL club offers him a big wage in a year's time, possibly with a decent length contract, none of us know how he will feel about that

Point I'm making is that every asset/top performer is or Celtic have ever had has sacrificed what you mention to be a part of the EPL or other rich leagues.

I still don't understand the conflating opinion of "He should be in the England squad" and "Why would he go back to England?" - they are total contradictions.

Not sure why you think he would have a "been there, done that" attitude when he was demonstrably itching to get back in and has plenty more to achieve

Disappointing but not surprising ie Southgate and his safe options, for what it’s worth I now hope England get pumped in every game they play from now on :cool:

Disappointing but not surprising ie Southgate and his safe options, for what it’s worth I now hope England get pumped in every game they play from now on :cool:
Southgate is a diddy I've never really bothered about him more laughed at him, he threw away the euros at the pens v Italy, can't believe he's still the manager.

I would be incredibly surprised if he didn’t move to England if the opportunity arose to be a number 1 in the Premier League, he’ll have one final chance of playing in a World Cup now.

I would be incredibly surprised if he didn’t move to England if the opportunity arose to be a number 1 in the Premier League, he’ll have one final chance of playing in a World Cup now.
I've always assumed that he has come here with building his reputation backup then moving back.

People don't seem to grasp how we got him: he took a wagecut, possibly as much as half, to come here.

The likelihood is there is a minimum fee release involved based upon scenarios around moving to England, which is why both the arguments about "Why would he move back?" and "£25m & not a penny less!" are mental.

People are both claiming he should be in the England squad AND that he practically came up here to retire.

None of my posts are coming from a place of wanting him to leave, speculating he is unhappy or anything like that FWIW.

I'd be surprised if we got less than two full seasons at least from Butland FWIW, but if any of our squad in their late 20s or older were offered 30% pay increases and a long contract from a club in their home country, then the size of our support and stadium, as well as European football, aren't going to be a consideration.

We are generally quite good at recruiting keepers, having to recruit another one of Butland's ability or better is difficult but not impossible.

If he was to leave to get into theEngland squad he wouldnt be going to be a 3rd choice keeper, he would have to be no1.

Not saying he is going to go btw, just that he woulnt be 3rd choice

I was stunned, pleasantly surprised when I seen he was due to get called up as no way would I have expected it, I thought the English had turned a corner but nope, usual arrogance and looking down on our league. I mean no way can a man playing in Scotland be called up to the mighty England squad.

The Ben White situation is interesting.
International football is no longer the pinnacle of the game. Plenty of players who are doing well with their clubs probably can't be fcked with it. Away from home for a week, away from family, risking injury, having to prove yourself to a shite manager in a set-up that isn't as good as your club. It doesn't make you any better as a player or increase your value on the transfer market and they don't need the money. Plus in White's case he knows that the minute Southgate's favourite lads are fit again, he'll be dropped. Fck that.

Fair play to Butland for his performance last night, he might have been less than 100% focussed given his omission from the squad, and when asked the question after the game he was honest but looked a bit gutted.
Southgate imo made a blunder here picking a reserve goalie over our man but hey we know the way they think, EPL players = gods the rest =shit i hope they get gubbed every game.

International football is no longer the pinnacle of the game. Plenty of players who are doing well with their clubs probably can't be fcked with it. Away from home for a week, away from family, risking injury, having to prove yourself to a shite manager in a set-up that isn't as good as your club. It doesn't make you any better as a player or increase your value on the transfer market and they don't need the money. Plus in White's case he knows that the minute Southgate's favourite lads are fit again, he'll be dropped. Fck that.
I think in White's situation he sees England as more football he just doesn't need or want. It's pretty well known he doesn't like his job.

Fair play to Butland for his performance last night, he might have been less than 100% focussed given his omission from the squad, and when asked the question after the game he was honest but looked a bit gutted.
Southgate imo made a blunder here picking a reserve goalie over our man but hey we know the way they think, EPL players = gods the rest =shit i hope they get gubbed every game.
They don’t just play Gus from the EPL though do they?
Otherwise Kane And Bellingham wouldn’t be getting a sniff.

Disappointing for Jack Butland, think he probably merited a call up. Here’s a question though…a query more than a trivia question because I don’t actually know the answer…With Souttar in Scotland squad, Matondo selected for Wales & McAusland for Northern Ireland, if Butland had made the England squad would it have been the first time we’d ever had representation in all four home nations at the same time?

I think in White's situation he sees England as more football he just doesn't need or want. It's pretty well known he doesn't like his job.
That’s a common misconception about him, he’s stated on many occasions how much he loves playing football , he just doesn’t watch games outwith what he has to do for analysis as he switches off from it totally when not playing.

The England thing seems more to do with him not enjoying being away with squads and never playing.

I think some expected him to start v Brazil. The crap about the lad at Palace rarely playing is some read as well.
It's bordering on entitlement.

Southgate isn't going to do a feedback session to the media on who didn't get in and why.

Have a word with yourself.

Homophobic language like that is completely out of order.

Some of you have absolutely lost the plot over Butland's omission and are lashing out like teenagers who've just been grounded.

Utterly embarrassing
I'll retract my statement that seems to have annoyed you, I guess waistcoats can be masculine for some.
And Southgate has given a full breakdown on why White, Phillips, Sterling etc aren't in and why the likes of Gomez, Branthwaite and Gordon are.
Still nothing on JB, which is strange considering ALL the noise around it, which let's be fair wasn't fan noise or media noise this was from the England GK coach and Manager himself. So there's no lashing out just Rangers fans questioning why a top Rangers player isn't receiving International honours.
Folk are mental on here that they think there can't be a debate on Scotland or England squads and International managers cannot be questioned. That's the embarrassment

Back