St Johnstone no.34 - Daniel Phillips

I dont quite follow your logic? Playing against better players would make you look good? B-D

I get what you mean in a way that players raise their levels usually - but they are also usually found out against better players.

I’m not advocating signing him, just impressed with his possession retention, recycling the ball and overall composure on the ball.
I don’t know if you’ve been a player or not but you’re very wrong.
Well, not wrong because you’ve explained the whole situation in the first line of the next paragraph.
There is also that we thing where the better players know the poorer ones are going to make the error somewhere along and work on just forcing it to happen.
Something to remember.
Every player we play against has a level of ability way beyond what the man in the stand thinks they have.
The reason they’re not good enough for us is that they can’t produce that quality week after week after week or even pass after pass, finish after finish or save after save.
They’re desire to do well against us and that they want to match the obviously better player in front of him, is what makes their levels peak against us.

Certainly one of the better players we’ve came up against in the league this season. I don’t usually take too much notice of the opposition but he stood out.

He caught my eye last week in the cup game. Like his aggression and break up play, however in saying that. Thought he was wasteful and sloppy when regaining possession then playing a pass in that game.

But then again, yesterday he was aggressive and broke up play well, good energy , he also did create the only chance they had yesterday with a good through ball.

A very tidy player who never lost the ball once from what I saw. Not sure he’s our standard but he’s too good for st Johnstone

Thought he looked a really tidy player today, had a few folk around me talking about him. Quick look on Wikipedia says he's 22, Trinidad & Tobago international and been through the youth system at Chelsea then Watford. Last time anybody from the diddy teams stood out out enough for me to notice them was a fella called Glen Kamara for Dundee.
He had a cracking game yesterday, not seen enough of him to even think about him moving to us but i was impressed with him yesterday.

Looks like he hasn’t been a regular at St Johnstone this season, so I doubt he’s at the required level to play for us.

Thought he looked a really tidy player today, had a few folk around me talking about him. Quick look on Wikipedia says he's 22, Trinidad & Tobago international and been through the youth system at Chelsea then Watford. Last time anybody from the diddy teams stood out out enough for me to notice them was a fella called Glen Kamara for Dundee.
I must say he was a standout for them along with there keeper.

Beni Baningime sp. Is the only player I think has stood out like a sore thumb of the other 10 teams in our league. and not just a flash in the pan talent like Duk or others who we only see have a good game against us

Some perspective required.

If you were to judge SPL players on their performances against Rangers you'd be signing half the Premier League and most of the Aberdeen team.

I don’t know if you’ve been a player or not but you’re very wrong.
Well, not wrong because you’ve explained the whole situation in the first line of the next paragraph.
There is also that we thing where the better players know the poorer ones are going to make the error somewhere along and work on just forcing it to happen.
Something to remember.
Every player we play against has a level of ability way beyond what the man in the stand thinks they have.
The reason they’re not good enough for us is that they can’t produce that quality week after week after week or even pass after pass, finish after finish or save after save.
They’re desire to do well against us and that they want to match the obviously better player in front of him, is what makes their levels peak against us.
That's a lot of words to say he raises his game against us but might not do it consistently

**Not a signing recommendation**

But I thought Cammy McPherson had a great game on Saturday. Much more impressive than Phillips.

He broke up play, was up and down the pitch and made passes all afternoon.

Did you believe that last summer?
I did because he could score goals in the league , had pace, skill and if I remember correctly we would have got him for nothing. If I am wrong about that I still think we could have got him for a small fee and not a big outlay on wages.
I’m not saying he would have unearthed a hidden jem but he would have been a solid player domestically for us imo.
In comparison to Jordon Jones, Scott Wright. Matondo , and the boy from Motherwell we signed , I don’t see why Cook would have been such a risky signing.

I did because he could score goals in the league , had pace, skill and if I remember correctly we would have got him for nothing. If I am wrong about that I still think we could have got him for a small fee and not a big outlay on wages.
I’m not saying he would have unearthed a hidden jem but he would have been a solid player domestically for us imo.
In comparison to Jordon Jones, Scott Wright. Matondo , and the boy from Motherwell we signed , I don’t see why Cook would have been such a risky signing.
Yes, good post actually.
Maybe other than the hidden gem idea though.
Any idea how he’s doing now?
I initially asked about Matondo because plenty were genuinely excited with the signing and his pre season contribution.

It was interesting because he did okay at the weekend, but last week in the cup game he stood out because he looked like he'd won the Perth Raffle to appear for St Johnstone, he was grim. So either one of two things, either the cup game was just a blip, or the weekend was a blip.

Said it a few times to my brother and old man at the game, he stood out like a sore thumb and had our midfield chasing his shadow most of the game.

Impressive performance by the lad and definitely should keep an eye on him to see how he progresses.

Yes, good post actually.
Maybe other than the hidden gem idea though.
Any idea how he’s doing now?
I initially asked about Matondo because plenty were genuinely excited with the signing and his pre season contribution.
I checked after I posted this morning . He is playing in Belgium . Scored and assisted a few goals. However I don’t watch Belgium football so can’t say how he has progressed .

When I saw Matondo against West Ham at Ibrox for second half I felt we had got the player we needed for that position . However the more we have saw him through the season he has looked completely different to his debut.

Appreciate that when scouting a player that he can tick all the attribute boxes we are looking at but probably the most important factor - mentality - is difficult to gauge. This isn’t new to Matondo and the pressure for playing for us. Has happened before and will happen after he has left.

Back