St Johnstone Red Card

Actually thought it was great refereeing as he took his time rather than rush in like he normally does. Thought he had a decent game yesterday, was also an incident where the St Johnstone player went for a tackle and played one of our players in but the linesman flagged for offside. Collum noticed it came off the St Johnstone player so played on. Not many refs overrule the linesman.

Very, very harsh way to look at it. There was no intention from Clark to hurt the player or even commit a foul.
Intent is absolutely irrelevant. Roofe didn’t intend to decapitate the Slavia keeper but it was as clear a red as you will ever see.

Clark caught him straight legged just under the knee.

I think much of the furore about the pen is that we probably got away with something a bit similar at tannadice. Both harsh, seen both given. The standard of referees in our country is deplorable

Watched the analysis on Sportscene by McFadden and Celtic employee Michael Stewart. No pundit seems to have taken the trouble to read the rules and instead are allowed to spout their views unchallenged fuelling timmy conspiracy theorists….. Defender’s arm extended well outside the body line which made himself bigger, ( whether time to get it out the way is neither here nor there).Under the rules…..penalty. Harsh or not, that’s the rules and that’s why Collum couldn’t NOT give it.
Sending off, Clark went right through him with his left foot at knee height following through with right leg - no attempt to do anything other than take him out. Dangerous play…. Under rules - a red card.
Jack’s yellow.- Clearly went for the ball, foot barely off the ground caught the guy’s foot and the ball at same time- mainly because the guy’s foot moved slightly into Jack’s way as Jack went for the ball. Just because the guy rolled about like a shot Indian and the St J players swarmed the ref didn’t change the fact of what actually happened. Yellow at worse.
If refs Collum and Walsh on VAR could under the rules in any way have given any of these decisions against us, don’t you think they would?
It’s not a question of harshness or whatever… it’s a clear unequivocal correct interpretation of the rules as they are at present.
Once again lazy punditry by no friends of Rangers who haven’t taken the time to understand the rules. Then again the same applies to some of our own who are unaware of how the rules are applied.
The ‘harsh’ comments are, right or wrong, an irrelevancy.
Well said.

That's incorrect, we know that as he never went to the VAR Monitor.
He has an ear piece connecting him to VAR. Somebody told him to award a red yesterday. He never made that decision himself at the time. There is a delay and an eventual decision.

Ryan Jack’s shin is a disgrace, has a big gash in it.

Laughing at McFadden saying it was his knee that caught him. Clark’s knee must be sharp as %^*&.

I think much of the furore about the pen is that we probably got away with something a bit similar at tannadice. Both harsh, seen both given. The standard of referees in our country is deplorable
From the main stand I certainly couldn’t see the incident properly but, was there any great sense of injustice, massive appeals or dissent from the St.Johnstone players.
I didn’t see it.
It’s usually a good gauge as to how correct the decision was.

That's incorrect, we know that as he never went to the VAR Monitor.
I’d have expected Collum to have checked the screen himself at that point.
That he didn’t offers two explanations.
One, he was simply happy to send the St.Johnstone player off and make life easier for us but incredibly difficult for himself, for the next few weeks anyway.
Two, Walsh told him it was an absolute definite red card and there’s no way he’d say yellow only.

Truly bewildering that anyone, let alone Rangers fan can say this isn't a red card.

Granted a still image doesn't always show the full picture but the video isn't much better. He does try to pull his leg back at the last moment but that doesn't stop the tackle from being dangerous.

2 feet off the ground, flying in just below knee height. It's the definition of a sending off.

1.png

It was a wild tackle though. He was out of control and the injury to jack could have been a lot worse. Getting the ball first is irrelevant.
It was his follow through from striking the ball that got Jack. I don’t agree it was a wild tackle and that’s not based on simply getting the ball first. Anyway, went in our favour so hardly an issue for me.

Collum didn’t award a card until the VAR officials told him it was a red card

On Jack challenge he issued a yellow straight away and VAR official who I think was Clancy asked him to review the foul and he said it was only a yellow

At the game in real time I thought Clark was a bad foul and Jacks was a red card but not seen any replays yet

Collum again was a joke

Morelos was getting rugby tackled at times and Collum gives them a free kick ffs

The way he dealt with the Hagi yellow was a joke too

The guy is an utter arsehole
Mate agree with you until the hagi iincident straight in front of me,bad cynical foul ,but im screaming "fkn dont react hagi", and he raises his arms and pushes the guy ever so slightly,sorry bud played right into gollums hands sadly!

He has an ear piece connecting him to VAR. Somebody told him to award a red yesterday. He never made that decision himself at the time. There is a delay and an eventual decision.
Mate, that's not how VAR works. Refs make the desicion and VAR is there to correct mistakes.

There was a delay because it's the job of the referee to make sure that any player in obvious distress is dealt with first.

Clarke was off the ground, 2 footed, studs up and caught Jack a few inches below the knee. It was a red all day long. Jack was a very, very lucky boy not to walk too and I was shocked the ref went to see it again and didn’t send him off.

Really weird that it looked like whoever was controlling the big screens sent off Clarke.
Jacks only looked worse because of the speed the StJ player came in at. Could easily have been the other way round

Was going to watch on Sportscene but 25 mins in and they were still talking about the Hibs Aberdeen game and I sacked it

Mate, that's not how VAR works. Refs make the desicion and VAR is there to correct mistakes.

There was a delay because it's the job of the referee to make sure that any player in obvious distress is dealt with first.
Every bad tackle I've seen has the referees card out almost immediately. Just "seemed" like he took an absolute age yesterday to get his red out. I've not watched it again so maybe it felt longer than it actually was.
I initially thought he's not gonna do anything here.

I honestly do not understand how people can't see that's a red card tackle..I don't think the intent is there but you're absolutely right. He's off the ground, studs showing, knee high.
Because for years referees have turned a blind eye to these tackles instead of punishing them like they should.

Refs are far more lenient in this country than others.

Every bad tackle I've seen has the referees card out almost immediately. Just "seemed" like he took an absolute age yesterday to get his red out. I've not watched it again so maybe it felt longer than it actually was.
I initially thought he's not gonna do anything here.
Maybe he was consulting with the linesman and/or fourth official? VAR definitely didn't get involved and there was nothing on the screens to indicate a check was underway. VAR only got involved to conduct a check after Collum showed Clark the red.

I watched it on, erm, holiday, on TV.

From memory, the live coverage showed the big screen saying red card before anyone realised Collum had sent Clark off so I don't think any editing was involved in the Sky clip.
I also watched it on holiday, but i remember the fans cheering and tom and lewis speculating that he had been sent off before it showed a replay of colum sending him off. Not sure if the var decision was on the screen before we seen it though

Very, very harsh way to look at it. There was no intention from Clark to hurt the player or even commit a foul.
He didn’t roll over the ball so if there’s no intention then why is he catching Jack just under the knee with studs

Ridiculous and stupid tackle

Clark went in to Jack straight legged. He may have been off balance but that's irrelevant. It's a red all day.

Jack can count himself fortunate if we're being honest. Especially it being so soon after the tackle on him.

Clarke as maybe unlucky I'm that it wasn't malicious but he was reckless and high.

When Jack's tackle happened is irrelevant. It's only a yellow as he's not out of control and his studs aren't showing. It's never a red in any sense.

VAR is helping for this sort of thing. For years I've thought the Diddy teams got away with stuff because "Rangers are better and it's not fair" as the refs saw it.

I think it's making the refs consider their decisions now. The Livi player sent off the in the first week of VAR against us at Ibrox possibly wouldn't even have been booked for that tackle before VAR.

I'm sure Ross County had a player off too at Ibrox after that that is totally ignored by the ref otherwise.

Both thosd calls yesterday were spot on.

Ryan Jack’s shin is a disgrace, has a big gash in it.

Laughing at McFadden saying it was his knee that caught him. Clark’s knee must be sharp as %^*&.

Any photos of this floating about? Would help settle any arguments (well, probably not)

From the main stand I certainly couldn’t see the incident properly but, was there any great sense of injustice, massive appeals or dissent from the St.Johnstone players.
I didn’t see it.
It’s usually a good gauge as to how correct the decision was.
It was right in front of me but I didn’t see it properly until I watched it on the tv later

Colum gave him the red card mate then VAR made the decision about a minute later shambles
Not a shambles, that’s how the system works

Collum made the decision, VAR reviewed it and confirmed it. VAR can’t review it until Collum has made a decision (and yes, giving no card, or a yellow would have been a decision)

It’s one of these ones that for me, doesn’t get upgraded to red if he gives a yellow and doesn’t get downgraded to yellow if he gives red

I, and everyone around me, thought Jack was certain to be sent off when Collum went to the monitor and were pleasantly suprised when he chose to ignore the VAR advice and stick to his original decision.
It was a race to the ball. Jack was a fraction late. Slo mo makes it worse than it was. He was going for the ball, the St. J player was coming from the side. There was nothing in it to suggest recklessness or out of control. Yellow card imo.

Both penalty and red were correct. Harsh on both but the ref and VaR applied the rules. Rules are wrong imo but they can't just ignore them to make it right.

It was his follow through from striking the ball that got Jack. I don’t agree it was a wild tackle and that’s not based on simply getting the ball first. Anyway, went in our favour so hardly an issue for me.
Agree with this assessment. I don't think any malice in it at all. Rules say it's a red though, so it's a red. People forget that sometimes stuff happens in footy that is accidental. To me, this was one of those times.

Clark was unlucky don’t think he meant it and not a dirty player but it’s as clear a red as you could see. Just like Jack’s being as clear a yellow as you could see.

Reverse the players and imagine what the media’s reaction would be and it’ll show you what nonsense is being spouted from the usual suspects

Truly bewildering that anyone, let alone Rangers fan can say this isn't a red card.

Granted a still image doesn't always show the full picture but the video isn't much better. He does try to pull his leg back at the last moment but that doesn't stop the tackle from being dangerous.

2 feet off the ground, flying in just below knee height. It's the definition of a sending off.

1.png

It wasn't a "tackle" though.

He kicked the ball.

It was harsh. He went for the ball and it was Clark’s right knee that hit Ryan Jacks left knee. Clarks left leg went through Jacks legs live I thought he’d caught him with the follow through. Gollum should have went to the tv screen. Harsh.
Ryan Jack was very lucky to recieve a yellow. I’d have said it was a red. But will take it.
I’m sure in one of the after match interviews it was stated Jack had a gash to his leg above his shin guard.

It’s was a strange one.

He took forever to make the decision - would have to see it again on TV.
Beale says Ryan's upper shin is gashed. Wondered if the height & force of Clark's challenge dawned on Collum when Ryan's sock & guard were removed to expose injury.

It was definitely Collum’s decision, all VAR done was back it up by agreeing he was right to give it.

They wouldn’t tell him it’s red, they’d say they think he should check it for being a red.

He didnt check the screen though, it came up on the screen that it was a VAR Decision, that is where confusion is.

Yeah so we was out of control as his follow through was poor. It’s a red card every single time.

Yeah so we was out of control as his follow through was poor. It’s a red card every single time.
Jack has previously been red carded for making contact on his follow through. I didn’t agree with it then and I wouldn’t agree with it if it happened to a Rangers player now. You have a good day though.

Actually thought it was great refereeing as he took his time rather than rush in like he normally does. Thought he had a decent game yesterday, was also an incident where the St Johnstone player went for a tackle and played one of our players in but the linesman flagged for offside. Collum noticed it came off the St Johnstone player so played on. Not many refs overrule the linesman.

They tried to hold that against him, saying look at how quick he got his card out for the booking on Jack. The reason he does this is because it was a possible flashpoint, StJ players screaming or action, so Colum tried to stop that by carding him quickly. In the Clark red no one was going mental so he didnt need to calm anything down.

2 players going for a 50/50 ball, Clark slides in to get there before Jack.

How do you define a tackle if that isn't one?

Not what Clark did anyway. He didn't "slide" in. He swings his leg round at it and kicks the ball.

It's irrelevant anyway, obviously was happy to take the red card in our favour. Just thought it harsh and found the entire incident bizarre.

Could have been "I think that's a red can you check it"

What VAR has achieved thus far (in most cases) is an application of the laws of the game. When this application favours Rangers the default position of our opponents and most pundits is an accusation of bias towards Rangers (along the tired old Masonic conspiracy line) and sometimes a ludicrous opinion that, 'Although that's the rule, I still don't think it is/isn't a penalty/sending off.'

Hagi could have been spoken to. He wasnt violent it was a push in the chest, no need for a yellow.

Same with Tillmans yellow, not really sure what the foul was.
Tillman was lucky he missed the guy after lunging in from the back or it would have been red
Hagi’s yellow was a joke

Do we just say the standard is rubbish so we can avoid speaking about the times when they are clearly cheating us ?

I dont see bad refs i think the standard is actually pretty good.

1.png
That’s as clear a red card as you’ll ever see.

Compare with the Jack incident where Jack‘s is a one footed tackle that is actually on the grass when contact is made.

And the penalty, its a cocksucking rule but Collum applied it completely correctly.

Back