Match Thread St Johnstone v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - BT Sports

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
kI6jDoL.png

The "any win will do" merchants have short memories. We beat Livi 3-1 and "any win will do" was to the fore before the game and the team got pelters for making hard work of it.

Aye, the fermers will be parking the combine harvesters but I expect us to play with style, elan and brio and will be happy with 0-2 and no injuries.

Note to The Gaffer: Start with Alfie to wreck their defence, please.

Any win WILL do for me.

After Thursday I expect to see a few players changed round. At this stage, playing Thursday Sunday the only thing that matters is the 3 points, especially away from home.

Getting beat is unthinkable as it would leave us only 1 point above the sheep.

I would go with:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helmander Barasic
Kamara Jack Aribo
Ojo Defoe Barker

Cheers Doc.
It will be interesting to see what changes will be made. Does Tav finally get a break, does Goldson get a seat on the bench. Does Katic come back in? Jamie Murphy to start ans Defoe up front.

As long as we win

Any win for Rangers and we're all happy, St Johnstone will play with a 10 man defence and attempt nothing until the last 5-10 minutes.

Could be a slog this. Many tired legs after Thursday and St Johnstone sitting in. Need to make good use of set pieces.

0-1

Barker with a last minute deflected effort from the edge of the box that's initially ruled offside as the linesman thinks it came off Alfie but is overruled by the ref and the goal stands.

These are the games where it is absolutely essential that we make use of our big squad. Fresh legs will be needed tomorrow, Arfield and Goldson badly need a rest already

10 men behind the ball, those bloody plastic pitches, It'll be a struggle, but we'll get there.

2-0 to The Rangers.

I’m in Perth today. Where do the buses park? Think there might be a chance of a spare from someone?

I’m in Perth today. Where do the buses park? Think there might be a chance of a spare from someone?

Car park right beside the ground mate.

You've always got the chance of a spare at an early kick off away game.

They'll park the bus, nothing surer, after Thursday's excitement it's back to the grind unfortunately! :(
That's likely to be the be the case @Dbear 65
We need to find better ways to break these teams down. Also, the importance of an early goal for us cannot be overstated. It takes all the pressure off and can encourage the opposition to come out and at least try to make a scoring chance, allowing us more space to get in behind them.

I think the game today will show whether we really have a squad or not Expect many changes to Thursdays eleven who really gave their all and have had very little recovery time.

If we come out the next 4 games unscathed then we’ll be in a good place (no Warburton pun intended!) Getting to the next round of the cup and a solid draw if not win at Young Boys, then we’ll be flying. First time since Walter that I’m confident in Europe.

I’d love us to be playing expansive and brilliant football and win 6-0 but, closer to reality here, I’ll settle for a scrappy 1-0 og or dodgy penalty.

You hear the same every week in here.

Opening day of the season and St. Johnstone were labelled absolute dross.

Now they have warped into a side where a scrapped win will do.

I know Defoe is a good replacement to have and he will score a fair amount of goals but for me we need to stop constantly switching the two of them. If Morelos is fresh and ready to go then he should play every game possible with the occasional rest.

3 points, that's all that matters. The earlier Rangers score the better, to feck up their game plan. The team gave their all on Thurs and won't have a full tank. The last thing we want is still to be trying to break them down after about 70 minutes.

Think King will start.

I think his comments on not starting a game since February and him saying he’s ready to go whenever asked are an indicator he’s maybe been given the nod by the Gaffer.

Keep changes to a minimum, we haven't exactly strolled our away games so far and simply can't afford to drop further behind in the league.

Unless anyone unfit, I'd only make one change. Aribo for Kamara.

Personally, I didn’t label them as dross.
Even if I did, I’d usually qualify this by adding that it doesn’t mean they’ll be dross by the time they get to play us or that they’ll be dross when they do play us.
And, yes, a scrappy 1-0 win is so much more palatable to me than a thrilling 0-1 defeat, every time.

Mon the Gers, just do it.

Won't be easy for us today, lots of tired legs after the efforts on Thursday.

No away game is easy, but I expect we will win 2-1 after a tight struggle.

Mon the Gers, just do it.

They were absolute dross. Had a terrible pre-season and still haven’t won since July.

But, 3 points is all that matters and after a tough game midweek I don’t care how we get them.

I do think we’ll spank them though.

3 points, that's all that matters. The earlier Rangers score the better, to feck up their game plan. The team gave their all on Thurs and won't have a full tank. The last thing we want is still to be trying to break them down after about 70 minutes.
Problem is, they’re still happy at 0-1.
They consider themselves to be still in it and hope for wee break, a set play or a worldie strike.
Their best case defeat scenario is a single goal defeat meaning their goal difference doesn’t take a hit.

I'm not expecting anything spectacular or even entertaining today
Like posts above say - this fixture is 'back to the grindstone' stuff

I still expect a no-nonsense, well organised & 'savvy' performance though

They'll be geared up for a cup final - just like all the other similar teams in the SPHell
Their spoiling, time wasting & under-hand tactics will be in full swing

We need to be above all of that & not get dragged down to their level or caught up in petty squables, exchanging handbags or be intimitaded or knocked off our game plan by them or officials, in any way

A good professional performance playing to our strengths without lapses in concentration will be needed

I think it will be easier than most people predict. 5-0 to Les Nounours.

Back