Match Thread St Johnstone v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - BT Sports

Helander had a great game against Feyenoord he also has been short of game time I think that Stevie will keep him on until he mucks up perhaps Katic will come on for the first one who doesn't play well, Stevie knows what he's doing we can only guess at it.

A bit bemused King not even on the bench. Surely this kind of game is perfect for him to get a run, Stewart too for that matter. Perhaps squad rotation is not as high on the list as we thought

Why cant people see past this idea of people being "dropped", we have a squad that we are using in what will be a very long season.
Exactly Katic is a young player, Gerrard is just managing his development and will bring him back in

Shouldn't the concern be WHY Gerrard feels the need to leave Katic out of the 18 ?

Why is it automatically assumed Gerrard is the one in the wrong here ?
It could be as simple as wanting Edmundson getting used to being part of the 18.

Glad there aren’t too many changes. This game gives me the fear for some reason. It would be a big 3 points after Thursday night. By contrast, I am quite happy for SG to make as many changes as he wants for the cup game v Livi on Wednesday night and take our chances - if we come unstuck on Wednesday with a heavily changed team then so be it, that is the chance you take.

But today, let’s get the attitude right from the get go and let’s get the 3 points.

A bit bemused King not even on the bench. Surely this kind of game is perfect for him to get a run, Stewart too for that matter. Perhaps squad rotation is not as high on the list as we thoughy
It's an important league game. If Gerrard started with King and Stewart and dropped points this place would be poisonous.

They can play against Livi midweek.

I thought today would have been the game to give King a start maybe leave that until Wednesday but besides that it’s a strong lineup which should get the job done.

A bit bemused King not even on the bench. Surely this kind of game is perfect for him to get a run, Stewart too for that matter. Perhaps squad rotation is not as high on the list as we thought
Away from home is always a bit of grind, would rather we went tried and trusted and introduce them if we have a good lead.

It's an important league game. If Gerrard started with King and Stewart and dropped points this place would be poisonous.

They can play against Livi midweek.
I think Wednesday is massive too though, Livi away is a nightmare and League Cup is huge for us this year

That is because Katic gets dropped for minimal reasons and Goldson is never dropped no matter how many mistakes he makes and goals he causes.

Why does there have to be a reason? If Defoe started today nobody would bat an eye, despite Morelos being the better player. But Katic has dropped out and it’s the end of the world.

Regardless, Goldson is the more experienced player, our most experienced right footed CB. Helander is left footed. Seems like a simple decision to me.

Glad there aren’t too many changes. This game gives me the fear for some reason. It would be a big 3 points after Thursday night. By contrast, I am quite happy for SG to make as many changes as he wants for the cup game v Livi on Wednesday night and take our chances - if we come unstuck on Wednesday with a heavily changed team then so be it, that is the chance you take.

But today, let’s get the attitude right from the get go and let’s get the 3 points.

I think he's learning from previous mistakes.
Best 11 and if it's not working, bring on the subs.

Strong team and bench. We might need to be patient before the floodgates open. These match threads are a tough read usually, everyones shite and we are poor is the usual.

0-5!

Nobody knows why Katic isn't in the squad so just shutup with the speculation about it until we do, we have a game to win here.

Why does there have to be a reason? If Defoe started today nobody would bat an eye, despite Morelos being the better player. But Katic has dropped out and it’s the end of the world.

Regardless, Goldson is the more experienced player, our most experienced right footed CB. Helander is left footed. Seems like a simple decision to me.

If Defoe started today ahead of Morelos there would be plenty eye lids batted. Defoe isn't a patch on Morelos.

That is at odds with the transfer strategy. We went with volume of similar standard of player so changes could be made.

I am concerned we may burn out jack and davis. Glad Arfield is getting a break he was knackered.
These kind of games don't need both Jack & Davis playing. You could say that for most league games.

The last game before Gerrard was a 5-5 draw. Since Gerrard came in we have only lost 2 games by more than a single goal and one of them was the other week against them when chasing the game. I trust his defensive selections.

Not seen anything to say he is pissed off, not sure how anyone can say bad management when don't know why he isn't included and Helander is hardly superfluous if he is starting 2nd game on the bounce. 4 CH is not one to many
as warbs used to say "players have to see the first team".

Katic is a young player with a lot of potential, but he has a lot to improve on, especially on the ball. We don't need someone who would heeder your gran against St Johnstone, we need players that can pick a pass and remain calm under pressure.

Lot of love for Katic but Helander was top quality midweek and he will develop as a first choice centre back for us. Goldson is getting a lot of stick but is consistently excellent for us and is also a leader on the pitch which I’m sure Gerrard values. Goldson is the one who seems to marshal the back 4, he’s very vocal. Katic and Edmundson will both get plenty of opportunities but the reality in my view is that the leadership and experience of Goldson and Helander will more often than not be the pairing we see especially given the right/left sided balance they offer. And I’d be perfectly fine with that.

Well I’d say it’s better for him to at least have an opportunity to get some game time as opposed to sitting in the stand.

Probably, but I mean the only real way he’d get time off the bench is if one of the starters picks up an injury, which let’s hope does not happen anyway!

Here’s hoping this is the management team simply realising it’s going to be a long season and Niko will get his chances. Fantastic knowing we have such depth at the back.

Katic is right footed. I also think he is a better defender than Goldson. I am concerned that our manager can’t see that.

Back