Match Thread St Johnstone v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - BT Sports

Lot of love for Katic but Helander was top quality midweek and he will develop as a first choice centre back for us. Goldson is getting a lot of stick but is consistently excellent for us and is also a leader on the pitch which I’m sure Gerrard values. Goldson is the one who seems to marshal the back 4, he’s very vocal. Katic and Edmundson will both get plenty of opportunities but the reality in my view is that the leadership and experience of Goldson and Helander will more often than not be the pairing we see especially given the right/left sided balance they offer. And I’d be perfectly fine with that.
Borna is a big factor too I think. With Helander playing alongside its a natural balance and I think it gives him more of a licence to go forward.

The criticism of Goldson on this thread alone let alone anywhere else is beyond belief-he made a c.unt of the mutants goal, fair enough.

We’ve conceded 8 goals in 15 games ffs :D
You’d think the guy was playing like Anton Rogan.

Well that’s a new record for me, enough match thread already and the games not even started.

Borna is a big factor too I think. With Helander playing alongside its a natural balance and I think it gives him more of a licence to go forward.

Agreed. Could very well be why Borna was more positive midweek. I hadn’t made that connection but think you are correct.

Right debate over about starting 11 for me, now to concentrate on winning this game. No excuses need a comfortable win today.

Sounds like the Katic bust up story was true.
There is no way he would not have been in the squad Thursday or today if he had not said something to either the coaching team or the gaffer.
Or even to Goldson as had been claimed by Bill Young.

Katic didn’t have a good game against Livi last week

I am surprised he’s not been in squad past 2 games but it’s the management teams call

Defo raises questions but we need to get 3 points today which is the biggest objective today

We have a big squad and can’t keep everyone happy so maybe Katic has not taken the omissions from squad well and he’s been dropped

Let’s get the job done today Rangers

Most of that team today should be full of belief and be ready for this game.
I’m hoping we see some good stuff from Brandon Barker as well as Barisic.

I had a dream that we won 3-1, king scored the last goal and invited me down onto the pitch to do a weird celebration with him. So on that basis we'll probably win 6-0.

That is at odds with the transfer strategy. We went with volume of similar standard of player so changes could be made.

I am concerned we may burn out jack and davis. Glad Arfield is getting a break he was knackered.
Burn out? The season has just started. We'll have Scottish cup and League cup games to deal with. The majority of our strongest team will play in the League and Europe.

Can only think the rumoured bust up was true. He’d at least have been on the bench on Thur or today. Hope it’s nothing too serious because he’s a fantastic prospect.

Outside of heading the ball, what is it Katic does so much better than Goldson?

Maybe Gerrard is giving Katic a wee break given the amount of games he's played through the first couple of months of the season.

Herlander and Goldson played very well midweek so im good with the same back 4

We love to make a mountain...

Agreed. Could very well be why Borna was more positive midweek. I hadn’t made that connection but think you are correct.
Katic has loads of potential but he is very young. If you play with two attack minded full backs then you need two experienced CH. Katic more used to playing with Flanno who gets a nosebleed if to far forward

I shouldnt worry about today,as it should be a walkover.why am i a tad nervous then.. team looks good on paper but i think the midfield looks weak... just a observation..
We never play well up there.. just 3 points needed

Today will be a big test for Barasic, more so than Feyenoord were; even though they are far better opposition.. Feeling confident so much so i put a few quid on him at 8-1 to score anytime.

Exactly Katic is a young player, Gerrard is just managing his development and will bring him back in
He isn't a child. If a player is good enough he should be in the team on merit. I could understand it if he was just coming in from the youth team but he isnt

I think we might surprise a few of our own fans today.

I have a feeling that Barker and Aribo’s trickery may well be the very thing that enables us to open what is absolutely sure to be another totally dung, negative, everyone behind the ball, St Shite display.

So, I’ll go for an optimistic 3-0 win for the Teddy Bers today. :))

There is no way he would not have been in the squad Thursday or today if he had not said something to either the coaching team or the gaffer.
Gerrard putting that to bed though so are you honestly accusing Gerrard of telling lies?

As much as I like Goldson, i still think Katic and Helander have the potential to be our best pairing. Hopefully it's just a knock Katic is carrying and nothing more in it.
.. not going to happen. they are too similar so it would be an issue

Away games in the SPFL after big European ties can often be tricky. Just get it done and dusted early today, Rangers.

I shouldnt worry about today,as it should be a walkover.why am i a tad nervous then.. team looks good on paper but i think the midfield looks weak... just a observation..
We never play well up there.. just 3 points needed
Looks weak? That is our strongest midfield 3, and arguably strongest in the league by some distance.

Honestly
I don’t recall this amount of bed wetting when any other player has been dropped in my entire time on FF.
we kept a clean sheet against feyenoord
I’m more than happy to keep these 2 together.
Get over the Katic love in its becoming tiresome

I thought it was weird too he hasn’t put any rangers related stuff on his social media when normally he’s posting loads and loads about games and training photos

What is this you speak of? Can you elaborate?

Honestly
I don’t recall this amount of bed wetting when any other player has been dropped in my entire time on FF.
we kept a clean sheet against feyenoord
I’m more than happy to keep these 2 together.
Get over the Katic love in its becoming tiresome

He’s been the best defender this year and not on the bench, what do you expect?

This is a really big week for us.

A tricky away game off a draining high emotion European tie.
An away cup quarter final.
Aberdeen at home, who beat us twice at Ibrox last season.

3 wins would really get us off and running, we shouldn't underestimate how difficult it will be. Last season wouldn't have been 3 wins.

Back