Match Thread ** St Johnstone v Rangers - Fri 13th October 19:45 - BT Sports**

Never mind Sutton blowing goats, butcher was busy blowing Sutton! I had Arabic commentary first half and it made infinitely more sense!

As far as the game goes, we went to a notoriously difficult ground and pumped them, what is there to complain about?

A good win tonight. It's wins at difficult fixtures that's great team spirit and as one of Pedros critics I'm happy to take a bite of humble pie and hope it's a full slice after next Sunday.

Was at the game and missed the start.

Did at any point a fan come on to attack a player? I certainly didn't see this but some fud on Fb claiming it??

Delighted with the result tonight.

Hopefully the team take some confidence from this into next weeks game.

Jack comes back in and Holt to replace Windass.

Really good preformance tonight.thought to start with the game had draw written allover it.but the team proved me wrong.

That was the Rangers we all know and love :D.

Pena is shite on the ball but off it he does some damage, he's got some positional awareness on him to grab goals. Wasn't expecting that, I thought he'd be more of a dribbler.

Still think we're starving Morelos of opportunities by playing 1 up front but if the current situation is working I'd stick with it I suppose. Big pat on the back to Pedro also who has faced some fierce criticism of late, he puffed his chest out, deflected all the shit and prepared the players for a tough game and he made the right calls tonight.

Roll on Motherwell at Ibrox next, I can't wait after seeing that!

When your big players play well then you know you will have a real chance of winning the game, Alves, Tavernier, Morelos, Pena and Dorrans all played very well tonight.

A genuinely good result tonight. What is also pleasing is the clean sheet. We have scored as many goals as that mob this season. I know that we have played one game more but to have put in 9 more than this time last season is encouraging. For all of the criticism Caixhina has had, there is no doubt with me that we are a better side than we were last season.

Pena is shite on the ball but off it he does some damage, he's got some positional awareness on him to grab goals. Wasn't expecting that, I thought he'd be more of a dribbler.

Still think we're starving Morelos of opportunities by playing 1 up front but if the current situation is working I'd stick with it I suppose. Big pat on the back to Pedro also who has faced some fierce criticism of late, he puffed his chest out, deflected all the shit and prepared the players for a tough game and he made the right calls tonight.

Morelos plays very well for the team despite being a selfish bastard who will shoot at goal at every opportunity. I though Pena played very intelligently tonight for his goals albeit his all round play still needs to improve - hopefully that will come with confidence.

Bruno and Dorrans both played very well and led the team by example. Candeias tracking back is a huge asset and his partnership with Tav is clearly one of mutual trust.

On the other side of the park we were much queter. Josh wasnt totally pish but he wasnt good either and i thought Declan John was a wee bit disappointing after his last appearance. Holt and Cardoso quiet but effective.

Overall though very happy and delighted for the manager. Hopefully he can take us to a final next weekend and we can start to look forward to better days again.

Well done Rangers!

Only managed to see the first goal before I went out, will watch the rest later.

Can’t get away from 3-0 being a cracking result though.

Watched on tv. Delighted with the win. Pena is clearly a talented player who finds space in dangerous areas and can finish. He needs to play. However, we need to get more organized. At times st j got through us very easily, we continue to look wide open in the middle of the park. Jason Holt is half as good as Ryan Jack. Tav continues to leave huge holes behind him. And Cardoso can't jump. He won't do. Would like to see Herrera more and Windass less.

Good solid result. Thought Dorrans had his best game so far.
Windass a bit disappointing tbh I’m not sure he’s going to be in the team much longer.
Well organised defensively.
All in all got to be happy with the three points and the signs of improvement.

For what it's worth I thought we were woeful tonight. Pena and buffalo dug us out a hole. Alves had a great game as well. The rest were crud. Jury is still out on Pedro

Just watched as live on RTV
To borrow one of Pedro's phrases it was a performance by a team of men
StJ came to bully and Nick someth from set pieces
It might work against a Warburton side but not against this one
Definitely still a work in progress, much still to be done
But if anyone thinks the performance was crud or any player was poor then I have to question their judgment or perhaps their bias
We are much better than last season as the league table shows
When you look at the points we dropped, or were cheated out of by a bent referee in the Hibs game, it is very frustrating as we could be top or at least a very close second tonight.

Just watched the goals again and in the light of day it still appears we're on the right road. Long, long way to go yet, but it's such a simple pleasure to see us back to winning away trom home in such a dominant manner. And while I always look forward to the next game they can't come quickly enough now.

For what it's worth I thought we were woeful tonight. Pena and buffalo dug us out a hole. Alves had a great game as well. The rest were crud. Jury is still out on Pedro

1st half was a bit poor in spells, said so at half time.

2nd half was better. The spell where they had corner after corner, we defended well. We played some good football at times, remained disciplined at the back, scored three, rattled the bar, had a terrible offside call whilst through on goal, Morelos pokes a ball just wide, deflected shot over the bar... on another night it's 5/6-0.

To go to McDiarmid Park, against a dogged, stuffy, disciplined outfit who went to the piggery and were leading until the 80th minute, rattle three without reply is a result!

May not have been Barca-esque but our manager and players got it bang on. I enjoyed my Friday night.

Feet up Saturday and watch our rivals drop points.

1st half was a bit poor in spells, said so at half time.

2nd half was better. The spell where they had corner after corner, we defended well. We played some good football at times, remained disciplined at the back, scored three, rattled the bar, had a terrible offside call whilst through on goal, Morelos pokes a ball just wide, deflected shot over the bar... on another night it's 5/6-0.

To go to McDiarmid Park, against a dogged, stuffy, disciplined outfit who went to the piggery and were leading until the 80th minute, rattle three without reply is a result!

May not have been Barca-esque but our manager and players got it bang on. I enjoyed my Friday night.

Feet up Saturday and watch our rivals drop points.

It was the sort of performance we'd see from a Walter Smith team.

Watching the game again on BT2 just now another two goals still to come you cant beat that on a Saturday morning.

Its sometimes like watching a different game when you can sit and enjoy the re-run knowing the points are in the bag. Apart from their period of pressure with the corners in the second half we bossed that game and missed a couple of very good chances.

There is no doubt we can improve all over the park but its pleasing not to concede from corners when last season that was almost a given every other week.

There wont be many teams that win 3-0 at McDiarmid so even the most pessimistic amongst us must surely be happy with that.

Thought Dorrans and Alves had their best games thus far for us last night. Dorrans was MOTM by a mile.

Pedro hasnt won three games in a row I dont think so lets hope that is laid to rest next week in the semi.

Onwards and upwards Bears. Enjoy the weekend I know I will.

I said before the game 3 points first and foremost. OK we weren't fantastic but scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet is more than acceptable.
Last season we would have folded when under the type of pressure we were put under at the start of the 2nd half. I thought we defended well throughout the game.
Hopefully Peña will take a lot of confidence from his brace. He still looks a little clumsy on the ball at times, however his movement off the ball and his positioning is really good.
Dorrans was MOTM for me, his best performance for us so far. His shot of the bar was a peach and deserved a goal.
Morelos is a handful for defenders even if he doesn't score. I think we've won a watch with him.
Tav deserves a mention for his 2 assists and Alves for his leading by example and solid display.
All in all I'm a happy bear.

I agree about Pena. I think we could play him as a second striker as we are 2 men down sometimes with him and windasss in midfield.

You can see glimpses of sublime link up play but not enough. Should def partner Morales as they do seem to have an understanding. No use though when playing deeper.

Just finished watching the game again and it was a game we needed I felt especially the defence.

My only gripe is when are we going to lose the flute song? It’s cringeworthy and I’m sure it makes Pena, Alves etc feel right at home. Why has it suddenly became one of our main songs it was never that popular.

Ì posted before the game we shouldn't play Pena, which is why i don't sit in a dugout and spend my life posting rubbish in here. He does look a luxury player who does little for long periods, but the point of luxury players is they do things to win matches. Still not totally sure he won't get swamped in midfield at the piggery or Pitoddrie, but he's earned the right to play and the right to shut me up.

Despite St Johnstone having a huge number of corners, we looked quite comfortable defending them.

Wes had 1 save from open play.

We are getting better, that is a fact. Holt quietly effective but Jack comes back in next week for me. Alves led like the top player he is.

Pena - He gets beyond the striker and finds space. He can finish as well. He's also looking more mobile. I think it's confidence, the ovation he got when he was subbed will help push him on.

Hopefully by next week we will have a final to look forward to.

I would have bitten your hand off for a 0-3 at 7.45pm. It is a very good result and the team and manager deserve the credit that goes with it.

I think we are only performing at about 75% right now.

Really looking forward to seeing us when the squad is fully settled. If we can bring in a quality creative/left sided midfielder in January then even better.

Back