St Johnstone v Rangers - TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been using my VPN and buying these games on a match to match basis.

Bought Willem II and Galatasaray. Also bought Falkirk, St Johnstone and St Mirren twice all on RTV.

For yesterday’s game there was no option to buy though. It let me watch it for free once the “watch” button came up. I was scrambling about trying to buy it but there was obviously no option as it thinks I bought it.

I now seem to have access to all parts of the RTV website now.

I know it'll have been asked a million times but is there any way of going "overseas" without paying some sort of annual subscription fee? Really can't be arsed with that just to see a couple of games a season.
I use the Opera browser, just the same as Chrome, safari or Firefox. Except it has a free built in VPN. Just look it up you have to install the browser and go to settings to enable the VPN. Always works well for me and it's free and safe.

I know it'll have been asked a million times but is there any way of going "overseas" without paying some sort of annual subscription fee? Really can't be arsed with that just to see a couple of games a season.
I've used Opera browser for the last two seasons now as it has a built in VPN. Never had an issue with it.

Bear in mind any VPN will slow your broadband down but Express is generally one of the best.

Try switching location to another server - France, Belgium, The Netherlands. Also, once the stream starts go to the Settings icon on RangersTV menu bar and change from Auto to 1080p (or lower).

Obviously the quality of your broadband and the strength of your wifi signal (if on wifi) are important as well.
Cheers VB - use Sky broadband but will try changing from the Netherlands next time.

They have stopped the monthly overseas subscription unfortunately - i'd happily pay £20/£25 a month to get all the games but £240 up front is a bit much.
Stick £30 away each month between now and start of season and you'll have half the money already...

TBH The Netherlands should be fine - its my regular destination. Maybe a wee trip to Paris might suit you better.:)

What is the best sequence for ordering?
Is it logout of Rangers TV account but not on VPN, buy game then apply VPN on day of game (say 30-60 mins before game), then log in to RTV and await game (Ed view button appears)? I know you have mentioned before when to logout and Jen to log in etc. Any help will be appreciated, techofobe loyal!

What is the best sequence for ordering?
Is it logout of Rangers TV account but not on VPN, buy game then apply VPN on day of game (say 30-60 mins before game), then log in to RTV and await game (Ed view button appears)? I know you have mentioned before when to logout and Jen to log in etc. Any help will be appreciated, techofobe loyal!
To purchase the game (once it's available - watch on here):

Turn on VPN and select France, Belgium or The Netherlands as location.

Go to RangersTV Home page. Do NOT login.

Scroll to the game you wish to purchase and click on the Buy Match Pass or Subscribe button.

On the options that come up you should see a 2/3 Day Unlimited Pass or the match itself offered.

Make you purchase. The purchase process will take you through Login and payment.

Logout and switch off VPN if there's a lengthy period before the match.

To view the game:

Turn on VPN and select France, Belgium or The Netherlands as location.

Go to RangersTV Home page and Login.

Wait for the Watch Live button to appear in red (usually circa 1 hour before kick-off).

Click on Watch Live and then on the Play icon in the middle of the screen.

Expand to Full Screen.

Go to Settings icon in bottom right of video menu bar and change from Auto to 1080p (lower if you get buffering).

Watch the match and when you are done Logout and switch off VPN.

Last edited:
Further to my last post, the St Johnstone game on Wednesday still isn't available to buy for RangersTV overseas (or 'overseas') viewers. Hopefully it will appear later today.

Was thinking the same if not I’ll just buy ST Johnstone tv for it

this is where a link to these VPN offers would greatly help.

I'm only quoting VPN Unlimited as this is the one I use & have done for several years, there are cheaper available on Stack Social (which I can't vouch for).

Prices in US$ & usually get 10% off if it's your first order on Stack Social

Was thinking the same if not I’ll just buy ST Johnstone tv for it
As posted earlier in the thread, you can gamble on using the free built-in VPN with opera browser. Several reports of it working well. A few saying it doesn't. You pays your money - or not:) - and take your chances. £17.50 to St Johnstone is ridiculous. You could get a months subscription to the likes of NordVPN plus buy the game from RangersTV and it would probably cost less than that.

EDIT: A 1 month subscription to NordVPN is £8.84, so that plus the purchase from RangersTV would be £18.83 - but you would have a full months worth of VPN, which would let you view multiple matches of course, including the Cup-tie on Sunday. They also do a Free Trial where you have 30 days to claim your money back.

Last edited:
VB has provided best advice again in this thread, but thought I'd add a wee bit I haven't seen in this thread (maybe for those posters saying "only need to be overseas for the odd game" or if maybe your chosen solution fails on the day).

I've used the free version of Windscribe (10gb per month) for a wee while and have found it very good (for a free solution).

Some matches use up 4gb of your allowance, but last Sunday it was nearer 6gb for me..... probably the extra effort of keeping up with our scintillating
play :p:shh::))

VB has provided best advice again in this thread, but thought I'd add a wee bit I haven't seen in this thread (maybe for those posters saying "only need to be overseas for the odd game" or if maybe your chosen solution fails on the day).

I've used the free version of Windscribe (10gb per month) for a wee while and have found it very good (for a free solution).

Some matches use up 4gb of your allowance, but last Sunday it was nearer 6gb for me..... probably the extra effort of keeping up with our scintillating
play :p:shh::))
Another decent option mate, if you are only looking for 1 game or 2 at a push - Wednesday and Sunday you might just make it, for example, if you start the stream just before kick-off and stop it right on full-time.

For the people suggesting the Opera browser, are you using the desktop or mobile version? Was looking at the mobile version there and it doesnt mention a built in VPN.

For the people suggesting the Opera browser, are you using the desktop or mobile version? Was looking at the mobile version there and it doesnt mention a built in VPN.
Never used it myself but their website mentions two - different - methods to activate the VPN:

To activate the free VPN for the first time, enable it in Menu -> Settings -> Privacy -> VPN. From now on you will see an icon on the address bar showing VPN status. Simply click on it to trigger VPN service on and off. You can then select your desired virtual location and also see stats on the data used.

and

To enable VPN in Opera:

1. Go to your Settings (Alt+P).
  2. Select Advanced in the left sidebar, and click Features.
  3. Under VPN, toggle on Enable VPN.
When you enable VPN, you'll see a VPN badge to the left of your address and search bar. Click on the badge and you will be shown an on/off switch, information about the amount of data transferred, your virtual location, and your virtual IP address. There, you can also switch VPN server locations to switch virtual IP addresses. Enjoy the best free VPN built into your Opera browser.

Never used it myself but their website mentions two - different - methods to activate the VPN:

To activate the free VPN for the first time, enable it in Menu -> Settings -> Privacy -> VPN. From now on you will see an icon on the address bar showing VPN status. Simply click on it to trigger VPN service on and off. You can then select your desired virtual location and also see stats on the data used.

and

To enable VPN in Opera:

When you enable VPN, you'll see a VPN badge to the left of your address and search bar. Click on the badge and you will be shown an on/off switch, information about the amount of data transferred, your virtual location, and your virtual IP address. There, you can also switch VPN server locations to switch virtual IP addresses. Enjoy the best free VPN built into your Opera browser.
Right, I’ll download it to my phone and check this out. Cheers VB.

and

To enable VPN in Opera:

Its seems its doesnt work on the app version, at least on IOS any way. I found a mention of an Android Beta but nothing for IOS. Downloaded and looked through the settings in app and my phone settings but nothing. :confused:

Might try Windscribe as i cant afford the one off Nord payment atm. But Windscribe is slow as %^*& for me.

Nord is generally one of the fastest VPNs. (As in it slows your internet speed the least.)

I paid around £65 for 27 months at Christmas, also got 72% back from Topcashback.

Nord also do a week's trial, handy if you just want the game tomorrow. I used it a couple of times in the past on different email addresses.

Haven't tried expressvpn, but it gets good feedback

From previous posts on FF months ago it was stated that Opera browser VPN is only available on desktops or laptops not on mobile phones.

If you are only using it on an occasional basis it might well be worth the gamble using Opera's VPN. However, please don't come on moaning about how shit RangersTV is when it starts to buffer etc.;):)

Any VPN will have an impact upon your download speed. As a general rule, the cheaper the VPN then the bigger the impact it will have. As I said, for a one-off it might be worth a gamble but I wouldn't be relying on it for a game of importance, just in case.
I've used Opera browser whenever needed this season and it has been perfect every time, Definitely worth a go,

I'm only quoting VPN Unlimited as this is the one I use & have done for several years, there are cheaper available on Stack Social (which I can't vouch for).

Prices in US$ & usually get 10% off if it's your first order on Stack Social

I've used VPN Unlimited for several years now and am locked into an annual recurring sub of US$23.74 which came to £18.11 on my most recent payment. Good service and quick and helpful customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back