St Johnstone - what do we know about their new signings?

3 at the back, could be tricky to break down. Goalkeepers out injured though.
New signings from Millwall, two loanees don't know much about them.
Conway is old and shot.
Ali McCann in midfield the player to watch.

Craig Conway is still pretty decent, Shaun Rooney is a solid defensive option at a lower level so it'll probably translate to 90% of the games that St.Johnstone will play this season but I don't know anything about the two lads they brought in from Milwall.

Biggest change is the manager, New to the job, but a former player and he's got Alec Cleland and Steven MacLean as right-hand men so they're going to know what they are doing.

However, we've seen sides like this a thousand times. Sit in deep, be very organised defensively and lump the ball forward to O'Halloran on the wing, May as a target man they'll take it on or wait for a late runner at the edge of the box.

We should aim to get a couple on the board early doors, to nullify the random breakaway goals we love to concede, and then build from there.

Completely different ball game, but the team was struggling trying to play through O’Halloran on opening day against United, and improved greatly when he got sent off. Ten men better organised, played a lot better through the middle.

Star player is Ali McCann by a mile, holds the ball well through the middle - the team was miles better once he settled in last year, gave Celtic a torrid time in the cup tie just before lockdown. Callum Hendry is a handful too.

Not much to say about the new signings Suck but those two players turned the season around last year and they’re not well known.

I always think they are quite a fit side and one of the tougher teams to play good at spoiling the game work hard, new manager right enough doubt hes changed that much, was nice goal liam craig scored against d utd always thought hes a good player dont know about new signings.

draw ht- rangers ft 3/1 looks a good bet to me can see a few going nuts on match thread 1st half and the goals coming after an hour or so.

A couple of times over the last 2 seasons - they've actually looked quite decent to me
They seemed to be a notch or two above Hamilton, Livingston etc. on their day - wherever their league position ended up - but of course they weren't consistent -

They'd be fairly solid, composed & well organised one week- only to collapse the next week- just like their other opponents in the lower half of the table who'd regularly swap points with each other

Consequently I'd always be pleased to take all 3 points off them because they were a banana skin - if we weren't careful

I see no reason to treat them lightly irrespective of management or personnel changes - & once again I'll be glad of a win in a potentially difficult fixture -

That's being sensible imo - I've no wish to be over cautious - just realistic

If we're talking being realistic we should skelp them. That's not arrogance or over confidence. That's a realistic reflection of the quality of the 2 teams.

Thats not to say they can't get something from the game. But realistically speaking a team of our quality should skelp them 9 times out of 10. If we don't its because we didn't perform on the day

Be aware of them and what they have. I am sure the management team have them well scouted. But don't go in hoping and praying we can nick a win off this mob. Dont show them too much respect.

Last edited:
Don’t know much about new lads but the st Johnstone of old will sit with about 8 across the back

They were supposed to play Aberdeen at the weekend but it was postponed. Hoping that leaves them a little rusty and still catching up with match fitness

Then let's hope we move the ball around quickly rather than the more pedestrian short and square passes we sometimes lapse into.

If we're talking being realistic we should skelp them. That's not arrogance or over confidence. That's a realistic reflection of the quality of the 2 teams.

Thats not to say they can't get something from the game. But realistically speaking a team of our quality should spell there's 9 times out of 10. If we don't its because we didn't perform on the day

Be aware of them and what they have. I am sure the management team have them well scouted. But don't go in hoping and praying we can nick a win off this mob. Dont show them too much respect.
Yeah- I agree we have to beat teams like this
All I was trying to say is they've been half decent in the past - so be careful- before we hammer them

It is an interesting one, Conway, O'Halloran (if not suspended) and May can cause any team in this league issues.
New manager so will they be as pragmatic as under Wright?
I firmly believe we will see the "Low Block" again, its up to us to break this, get one or two goals and then they will have to come out
That's actually a decent front 3 for them. If they can be solid at the back they should have a decent season.

Reading that Davidson wants to go 343 and likes to play out from the back.

Not really an approach you can take and go defensive, so would expect us to get a fair bit of space/time on the ball against them.

Also expect us to break quickly.

Reading that Davidson wants to go 343 and likes to play out from the back.

Not really an approach you can take and go defensive, so would expect us to get a fair bit of space/time on the ball against them.

Also expect us to break quickly.
He could be bluffing. Im sure well be prepared for whatever they try.

Craig Conway is still pretty decent, Shaun Rooney is a solid defensive option at a lower level so it'll probably translate to 90% of the games that St.Johnstone will play this season but I don't know anything about the two lads they brought in from Milwall.

Biggest change is the manager, New to the job, but a former player and he's got Alec Cleland and Steven MacLean as right-hand men so they're going to know what they are doing.

However, we've seen sides like this a thousand times. Sit in deep, be very organised defensively and lump the ball forward to O'Halloran on the wing, May as a target man they'll take it on or wait for a late runner at the edge of the box.

We should aim to get a couple on the board early doors, to nullify the random breakaway goals we love to concede, and then build from there.
O’Halloran is suspended! Best players are the blonde haired guy McCann in midfield and Colin Hendrys son Calum who plays up front front

Back