St. Mirren "penalty claim"?

Get well soon Craig Gordon.

tenor.gif

VAR would have given a penalty but it was difficult for the officials to spot. We got a bit of luck there but we were well worth our 3-0 win, move on to the next game.

If sticking your leg across the tackling, advancing player and having him unavoidably touch your back is a foul, then I guess this would be a penalty.
It was highlighted on Sportscene with the Compliance Officer Circle. Eduard's hand in the face of Killie player barely got a mention.
Excellent again, Ed.
For those saying it's a penalty look at the stopped video around sixteen seconds, look at the St. Mirren player's left leg from the knee down, look at his foot. You cannot support yourself if your leg and foot are in those positions. He's tried to con the ref and buy one, he's on the way down before Glen makes the unavoidable contact. Kamara did not not him knock over.

Last edited:
If sticking your leg across the tackling, advancing player and having him unavoidably touch your back is a foul, then I guess this would be a penalty.
It was highlighted on Sportscene with the Compliance Officer Circle. Eduard's hand in the face of Killie player barely got a mention.
Free kick to Rangers. :))

Doesn’t matter where the ball was. If he was fouled with any part of his body in the box it was a penalty
Here's a quote from a referee concerning similar types of situations:

"Situations in which it may not be a penalty kick: Attacker is on the line, but the “pull” is on a part of his body which has NOT YET entered the penalty area (perhaps being pulled by his trailing arm). In that case, the foul is still technically OUTSIDE the penalty area, so still a direct free kick only (until the moment the foul itself ‘carries to’ the line, and thus into the the penalty area).

Another example: if a player is tripped and lands inside the penalty but the trip was OUTSIDE, then it is still a direct free kick rather than a penalty kick."

This tends to support the idea that it was not a penalty if the contacted area was outside the box at the instant of contact.

Here's a quote from a referee concerning similar types of situations:

"Situations in which it may not be a penalty kick: Attacker is on the line, but the “pull” is on a part of his body which has NOT YET entered the penalty area (perhaps being pulled by his trailing arm). In that case, the foul is still technically OUTSIDE the penalty area, so still a direct free kick only (until the moment the foul itself ‘carries to’ the line, and thus into the the penalty area).

Another example: if a player is tripped and lands inside the penalty but the trip was OUTSIDE, then it is still a direct free kick rather than a penalty kick."

This tends to support the idea that it was not a penalty if the contacted area was outside the box.
It really is simple and its alarming that so many fans dont seem to understand the most basic of rules.

Doesn't matter where the ball is or where a players feet are. All that matters is the point of contact (assuming that that contact constitutes a foul) - if the contact is made inside the box then it's a penalty, if it's on the line it's a penalty and if it starts outside the box (holding, pulling or grappling) but continues into the box then it's a penalty.

What's even more alarming is the number of people/pundits who are paid to comment on the game, or give an opinion, who likewise dont appear to be conversant with the rules.

For me, in this particular instance, no penalty.
The player going down played for it, was on his way down before any contact, stood on Kamaras boot, any other contact was outside the box and, more importantly, his shirt was the wrong colour for me to consider it to be a penalty. ;)

Holy feck, are people saying that's a penalty? the boy stuck his foot out on purpose so Kamara would stand on it.
Deary me it's not even a foul

It really is simple and its alarming that so many fans dont seem to understand the most basic of rules.

Doesn't matter where the ball is or where a players feet are. All that matters is the point of contact (assuming that that contact constitutes a foul) - if the contact is made inside the box then it's a penalty, if it's on the line it's a penalty and if it starts outside the box (holding, pulling or grappling) but continues into the box then it's a penalty.

What's even more alarming is the number of people/pundits who are paid to comment on the game, or give an opinion, who likewise dont appear to be conversant with the rules.
That was the point I was trying to make in posting the quote. Unfortunately it's hard to tell from the video clip as to whether the contact was in the box (including on the line) or outside, so giving the linesman/referee the benefit of the doubt seems to be the right way to go.

Holy feck, are people saying that's a penalty? the boy stuck his foot out on purpose so Kamara would stand on it.
Deary me it's not even a foul
It's not so much the foot at issue here, it's the contact between Kamara's torso and the St. Mirren player's hip/torso that is important, and that is looking to be very close to if not on the line, so it really can only be judged by someone in line with the play.

That was the point I was trying to make in posting the quote. Unfortunately it's hard to tell from the video clip as to whether the contact was in the box (including on the line) or outside, so giving the linesman/referee the benefit of the doubt seems to be the right way to go.
It raises another valid point which is that if the referee isn't certain then he can't give it. Irrespective of where he has managed to plant one of his feet if the referee has deemed the barge in the back as a foul then it's almost impossible to tell whether it's in or outside the box but in all probability it is, in fact, more likely to be outside and, as such, the referee was right. :))

I thought at the time Kamara ran into his back and that a foul outside was fair. On the replay I thought it was more their guy tripping Kamara by stretching out a leg. Difficult to call but I think players reactions normally help. In this case Kamara thinks it's a penalty but the Saints player is the one guy in their team not appealing so I still don't know what the truth is:)

It was a dive, he’s looking at the referee before he hits the ground. Many call it ”entitled to go down” “there was contact” “made the most of it”
It’s just plain cheating, a dive.

What the f*ck man. That's not even a foul.

Never gave it a second thought when watching the game, seeing that replay makes me think I was right not to give it a thought either. He tries to buy it, the way he has hyper extended himself, he was never playing for the ball there anyway.

Clumsy effort at clearance from us but never a pen.

It’s not even a foul, nevermind worrying about if it’s a pen.

If Kamara hadn't touched the Booboy then there would have been nothing to talk about; but he did and the reason was the boy came to a full stop with his standing leg; the one taking his body weight well outside the box. Instead of keeping his forward momentum going, the guy sticks his leg out sideways to get it in the box but throwing him off balance. The penalty box leg couldn't take his weight, he was basically doing the sideways splits and the merest of touches would knock him over, without a touch he would have fallen over, furthermore he made no attempt to play the ball.

What he did do though was display a classic case of simulation and he's the one who should have been carded...no penalty.

Did he give the foul for contact with Kamara’s left leg (outside) or his right leg (inside)? Both make contact. I vote left leg.;)

I thought at the time Kamara ran into his back and that a foul outside was fair. On the replay I thought it was more their guy tripping Kamara by stretching out a leg. Difficult to call but I think players reactions normally help. In this case Kamara thinks it's a penalty but the Saints player is the one guy in their team not appealing so I still don't know what the truth is:)
One of the problems is that watching in slow motion sometimes adds clarity and sometimes not. To my eyes the motion of the St. Mirren player directly after the foul seems more consistent with him being barged in the back than tripped/stepped on, as is Kamara's movements. In any case it's really a very quick judgement call and as such it's hard for the referee to not be criticized whatever the call was.
As far as VAR is concerned, this would also be a tough one unless there was a clear, in the line of play, view available.

95% of the players body is outside the box, he throws his leg into the box to protect the ball and it goes under kamaras foot, never a penalty in my opinion and if we got that instead , id still think it was an extremey soft one

Strange one in that the guy was already on his way down when he threw his leg into the box. It wasn’t a natural place for his leg to be at all.

Sneaky, but refs given the free kick so it should be a penalty

Funny my big mate is a St. Mirren fan and hasn't mentioned this yet we have Rangers fans saying it was a pen ffs.

The paranoia is sadly ripping right out of a small section of posters. I keep hearing or reading they are fans of other clubs but i dont really think so maybe the odd one is but most are just desperate to be "so much better than timothy". Dain the dignity showing that respect.

If we got lucky id say so we certainly deserve it with all this cheating and bias but that wasnt even a foul to st mirren it should have gone the other way it was our player that was fouled.

Strange one in that the guy was already on his way down when he threw his leg into the box. It wasn’t a natural place for his leg to be at all.

Sneaky, but refs given the free kick so it should be a penalty
I have to ask- why should it have been a penalty if it was a free kick?

It should have been a penalty and is exactly why this struggle to put teams away can bite us in the arse .. we got lucky

The st Mirren player over extends his leg hoping to draw some contact or maybe impede Kamara. Kamara is already committed, minor contact is made. Then he goes down easily. Clever play from him but you can tell by the way he gets up that he knows he’s nicked that one, he wasn’t exactly screaming for the penalty.

Maybe another way to look at it is compare to a keeper catching the ball outside the box but his feet were inside the box.

The feet are in the box but his body/hands and point of foul is outside the box

Mr Boo doesn't play the ball and obstructs Kamara then falls over.
Sticks his foot inside the penalty area too. He should have been sent off and a penalty awarded to Rangers at the other end. I wish I was a referee - I'd show the bassas what's what.

So why have you waited untl 1 decision in a game against st m has gone our way to post this ? If they are honest refs dain their best then the same should go for performances like Clancy at the piggery, Madden with his amazing run of Rangers reds, Beaton v Hibs, McLean at easter road, Thomson over about 20 years or something.....why not comment on Gerrards views it took him one game to tells us he knew what to expect, or even Ally McCoist suggesting bias on national radio.

Ive still not seen this incident and probably should watch but theres other posters saying it wasnt a penalty or that it was a very tough call for the ref. Saying this evens it up is a bit like suggesting the press cannae be biased cos some of them said Rangers played quite well on Sunday.

And while i hate all the timmy stuff and usually ignore it as it makes no sense....i dont hear them moaning about refs at all. Lennon aint charging on the pitch these days the tim board and media are not looking to destroy refs lives or their careers and a few top officials are doing media work something i doubt Dougie McDonald, Hugh Dallas or Andy Davis would have been offered.

Andrew Dallas might be an honest ref i never said he wasnt but if you think this is the end of Rangers problems with the match officials, or that there wasnt one in the first place anyway, i say you are talking nonsense and theres nothing objective about your views at all.

We can't have it both ways, either referees are corrupt or their not. What one is it? If the exact same incident happened to a Kilmarnock player at Rugby Park on Sunday the referee would 100% be labelled a cheating mentally challenged bastard on this forum. This is what frustrates me on here. Everything is seen through blue-tinted specs with virtually zero objectiveness. The fact is we got away with one and if the referee was out to get us he would have awarded St Mirren a penalty. Do they just pick and choose what games they decide to %^*& us over in? How does it all work? Can you see how ridiculous all this sounds? Refereeing is not an easy job and they will always make mistakes. Some of the mistakes made are truly bizarre and it does make you question their integrity. But then you go watch the English Premier League and see some utterly god awful decisions being made by full time referees and that is with the support of VAR which makes it all the more absurd. I doubt you could find a fan from any club in Scotland that thinks the standard of refereeing is good.

I can't be certain but I do believe referees on the whole are honest enough. Their just not very good at their job. It is entirely possible that some are influenced sub consciously by outside noise.

It's Not a penalty claim as the boys was outside the box.....just pundits look8ng to set the narrative early that b8g bad rangers get all the calls

His foot was in the box so if the ref thinks it was a foul it probably should've been a spot kick but personally I didn't think it was a foul in the 1st place.

Sense. Kudos. Just because a player has a foot in the box doesn’t make it a penalty
The ref didn't seem to think that the point of contact was between the feet in the box. Does anyone have a better view/image/video of the possible contact between the torsos?

Back