St Mirren try to justify their position on ticketing

It's idiotic. Why not just have two main stands for their own fans including a family area. The other two stands are for fair weather stands which would be virtually empty all of the time. That leaves them free to go for the large away allocations and no one had to feel like they were being moved.

I’ve no issues with them looking after their own and trying to build their fan base up, especially if they’re doing a lot of work to get young kids from schools and academies in.

Although when games are on TV, they’ve got to make sure the stands are full. The game looks tinpot and doesn’t need more brand damage by having empty stands. Surely their Main and Family stand for their fans and the other two for us and them lot would be better.

Throwing money away, every away game could easily be a sell out but instead they are thousand short of capacity every time. Motherwell for example could easily house all their fans in the Main Stand and the stand to the left and have Rangers fans in the stnd facing the cameras but they don't want to upset their fans. Over the years between the Old Firm fans this would have cost them easily £2m, they would be financially secure and have a better side on the pitch. I understand why these clubs are doing it but all they are doing is harming themselves and ultimately Scottish football

Being totally honest, I have no issue with them trying to give themselves as much of an advantage as they can and trying to entice new sets of fans.

Not good for us, but it perhaps shows a bit of ambition to do all they can for results, rather than being more financially driven through tickets.

I know a lot of St Mirren fans, majority of them think both sides of the old firm are as ridiculous as each other and are generally sound enough people. That’s just my experience though.

It may be frustrating for our supporters looking for a ticket but the decision is St Mirren’s. We may not understand their stance but they’ve thought it through and implemented it.

Its up them, but the more clubs that do this weakens the argument that they need four trips a season from old firm clubs for revenue

Lets see how they would react to an 18 team league with only one home game a season against them and us guaranteed

That’s why they are Diddy clubs …. Commercial sense is non existent with these clubs

They have no interest in promoting our game … they don’t get that half empty grounds on tv turns sponsors and investment off

I’ve no issues with them looking after their own and trying to build their fan base up, especially if they’re doing a lot of work to get young kids from schools and academies in.

Although when games are on TV, they’ve got to make sure the stands are full. The game looks tinpot and doesn’t need more brand damage by having empty stands. Surely their Main and Family stand for their fans and the other two for us and them lot would be better.
Oh eff off with the on TV stuff. It’s boring, plenty epl games have spaces in the crowds.

If other clubs want to cut allocations, let them, we already get well above the minimum

In fairness it's their ground and their decision....but when demand is high from away fans and you could sell out then surely you can re-arrange the stands....Massive lot of revenue and they and other then have the cheek to more cash from sponsors et-al to keep them afloat.corporate madness.

Its up them, but the more clubs that do this weakens the argument that they need four trips a season from old firm clubs for revenue

Lets see how they would react to an 18 team league with only one home game a season against them and us guaranteed
It would be interesting to see what effect a bigger league would have on attendances.

For over a hundred years all these small clubs got on just fine with about 200 season ticket holders sitting in the main stand. One person buys a season ticket in a stand and that is it completely out of action for away fans. They won’t reallocate as that one individual threatens to boycott on social media.

It may be frustrating for our supporters looking for a ticket but the decision is St Mirren’s. We may not understand their stance but they’ve thought it through and implemented it.
They've thought it through and come to a decision of committing financial suicide..? All they're doing is preventing much needed cash back into the game.

That is entirely their prerogative to sell, or not to sell, tickets to away fans. But don’t come crying to us when you find you have no money

I think it's too late for any more brand damage.

Outside 3-4 teams, there's always empty stands, lots of televised Games look tinpot.

While we have the current people in charge not a lot will change, you just gave to look at our recent TV deal and how the other teams lap it up and accept getting a pittance.

No issue if that’s their own business but it is frustrating just don’t moan if you can’t sign any players because lack of money

If they are happy at losing a lot of cash every year then that's their choice.
I don’t know what his remit is but I’d guess generation of income would be high in his list of KPI’s.
On this one, he’s failing.
For once, I’m with the SFA and what they do with Hampden.
Allocate section by section, in his case, to the home support and release the next section once sold.

The sentiment is noble enough, but a club from Paisley, effectively just part of Greater Glasgow, is never going to attract enough fans in competition with the Old Firm to make it viable.

If they want to have swathes of empty seats rather than extra money in the coffers that’s their prerogative, but it’s a kamikaze business model if you ask me.

Don't really have a problem with it.
I don't either, because I couldn't give a monkey's toss about St. Mirren. From a commercial point of view however and the very obvious impact it has on their ability to invest in and improve their football operation, it's lunacy. It also undermines one of the main reasons given for the current league set up, which is that it gives the smaller clubs a gate boost from 3 or 4 home OF games each season. I'm sure filling the stadium for these games would more than compensate them for the loss of the small number of fans who refuse to see the bigger picture. It's a mindset which sums up Scottish football perfectly.

Scottish football the only entertainment business in the world where willing paying punters cant get into a half empty venue.

Their choice as pretty much everyone has said. It is frustrating though they would turn down money. Never a good policy or look in a club.

Didn’t read the whole article as the slant was set with the early use of the word temerity. I did read far enough in to see that the decision to slash the away support was taken in May 2022 and was not reflected in the £1.2m loss reported.

It’s their decision to make but it makes absolutely no sense from a financial perspective impacting upon cash flow and profitability. Whatever way you wish to analyse or debate the end result will always be a reduction in quality somewhere within the structure of the football club.

It is an inescapable reality, whither they like it or not, that they are part of the wider Scottish game and they are throwing up a barrier to the industry’s customers. Such action, in my view, can be described in one word, lunacy!

Being totally honest, I have no issue with them trying to give themselves as much of an advantage as they can and trying to entice new sets of fans.

Not good for us, but it perhaps shows a bit of ambition to do all they can for results, rather than being more financially driven through tickets.

I know a lot of St Mirren fans, majority of them think both sides of the old firm are as ridiculous as each other and are generally sound enough people. That’s just my experience though.
To give them the best advantage would be letting us fill the stands if they are going to be empty and then use that money to buy better players and thus attract new fans.

If the stands are going to be empty that's not going to attract new fans, if anything it'll turn people away.

Fair enough to be honest, but they’re paying a price for it and their fans are not exactly stepping up to fill it.
That's not actually true. When they posted their losses earlier this year I asked a St Mirren supporting pal if that was as a result of this and he said no. He then sent me a screenshot of their most recent attendances vs all the teams in the league compared to the previous fixtures and their footfall is up by just under 20%.

Whether that equates to charging another few thousand bears £30, I don't know but its a bit of a myth that it's due to our fan numbers being reduced.

As others have said, completely their prerogative. If they feel that they can do without the money the extra stand brings in and want to prioritise their own fans happiness over money then fair play.

Back