Match Thread St Mirren v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - BT Sports

Cant complain too much about that really , tricky place to go , Clancy has been worse , St Midden could have been more physical , we could have been better , a superb goal from a much criticized player.
Three points , well done Rangers , on we go ! :)
PS , well done to our superb support today , no , 'naughty' songs , well not that I could hear.
PPS , Mon the Hearts :p

Defoe scores that sitter in the first few minutes and it’s a stroll. We have to see games out better - 3 times Morelos just surrendered the ball in injury time, unbelievable - no surrender Alfie!! . Great 3 points, that’s far from the easiest away game in this league. First time I’ve smiled in days after all the shit this week. Enjoy the sun people!

Truly awful game. Absolute domination by Rangers coupled with a woeful St Midden performance.
They decided to play football during the 6 minutes of time added on and could have got the world's most undeserved equaliser.
A rather tired Rangers did all we could to open the game up but the mob from paisley are culpable in making Scottish football a complete laughing stock.

Thought we were a bit naive late on, at 1-0 we had tav almost at striker and jack on the right wing, they were still sitting deep hoping to nick it back and hoof it up to their big from man and play off that. No reason for us to get so out of shape. It would have been a crime if st Mirren had got anything from that after the way they played.

Good three points but the performance lacked imagination and precision.

Barasic has a wand of a left foot, I know ... I know, but in this case it is true.
I for the life of me cannot see why we don't utilise it more especially with free kicks on the opposite side of the field, where I notice that Tavs took one today.

As for Tavs as much as I love him to bits, his form since the start of the season has been below the very high standards we have become accustomed to.

Overall the entire team looked a bit jaded today, which maybe had something to do with the heat.
We have to be much better on Thursday night.

Job done today, that’s all that really matters.

I wouldn’t criticise St Mirren too much for sitting in if that’s all they’re capable of doing. However I was remarking to someone during the week that one of the reasons I’m enjoying the Europa games (and also last year) is because most teams are fearless and have a go. It would be great for some of the lesser lights in the SPFL to view the games against us and the scum as shots to nothing and just have a bit more of a go. That was a hard watch today.

Just turned on the radio and by feck are the Beeb hurting...going on about the "stonewall" penalty , we hardly created a chance of note and how a draw was more of a fair result...Just WTF?
They also claim ST Boo had 60% possession of the game?

On RTV, not too long before the end, they said we had 68% possession.

Games of this kind are never easy, but its 3 points, a clean sheet, and mission accomplished. However, the result was more than that; we have two crucially important games coming up - against Legia and then the bheasts - that will require maximum effort from Rangers. Going into either game having dropped points would have been a huge psychological blow which we have avoided. Take care of biz.on Thursday and we'll be set uo nicely for a win over the animals.

A great 3 points today , tough to watch at times but I was delighted the way we saw the game out in a professional manner , ran the clock down , excellent .

We need our shooting boots back on for the next two though !

Reactions: L_D
Just had a look to see when we last won the first three matches in the top flight.

10/11 we won the first nine games, the last of which being a 3-1 win at the Knew Camp only to draw 1-1 at home to ICT a week later.

It's a big ask but just keep winning Rangers, every single game.

Very professional performance today and one that we could have quite easily still slipped up in last season. We dominated the game without having too much to worry about. Although we would have of course loved more goals the win is the most important thing.

On to the goal. It was a peach - a superb free kick from Barasic. His head seemed to raise after that although does look as though he's maybe still nursing a little injury. Or perhaps picked that up today.

Was a hard slog and the weather would have taken it out of the guys a bit.

Overall happy.

Reactions: L_D
Job done today, that’s all that really matters.

I wouldn’t criticise St Mirren too much for sitting in if that’s all they’re capable of doing. However I was remarking to someone during the week that one of the reasons I’m enjoying the Europa games (and also last year) is because most teams are fearless and have a go. It would be great for some of the lesser lights in the SPFL to view the games against us and the scum as shots to nothing and just have a bit more of a go. That was a hard watch today.

This essentially - hibs had a bit of a go at us and got their pants pulled down. It happens in every league in the world.

gers-table.jpg

St.Boo came to spoil. We scored and kept our composure to see the game out.

Not a great spectacle, but another away win.

We're 4 points better off than at this point last season.

We try and play through 2 banks of five with the opposition content to try and hit on the break. We get a goal and they begin to come out. By that time out game plan has gone. Then we struggle to capitalise on our advantage and look devoid of ideas. I’ve no idea how we can try and train for this scenario. Our defence looks more solid now so that was a big plus.

Thought we were a bit naive late on, at 1-0 we had tav almost at striker and jack on the right wing, they were still sitting deep hoping to nick it back and hoof it up to their big from man and play off that. No reason for us to get so out of shape. It would have been a crime if st Mirren had got anything from that after the way they played.
I thought Morelos was particularly guilty of this. He gave the ball away on three occasions near the end by trying to shoot.

Fine 3 points today against a team who very predictably had no intention of attacking until the push for a point in the dying minutes of the game.

After a hard away European match on the Thursday we have come back and taken care of business.

A less disciplined performance would have cost us 2 points.

We got there eventually and scored the only way we were going to. We simply must get more shots away at goal when we're in, or around, the box, too much trying to walk it in. But the points are safe, so now for Legia.

This is another of those 'myths' that is gathering pace - a bit like the old 'Tav can't defend' one. We had several attempts from outside the box today. Jack, several times, Goldson, Tavernier to name a few. Gerrard even made a point of mentioning it in his post match comments on RangersTV (see other thread).

There's times when we don't do it enough. Today wasn't one of them.

Good three points but the performance lacked imagination and precision.

Barasic has a wand of a left foot, I know ... I know, but in this case it is true.
I for the life of me cannot see why we don't utilise it more especially with free kicks on the opposite side of the field, where I notice that Tavs took one today.

As for Tavs as much as I love him to bits, his form since the start of the season has been below the very high standards we have become accustomed to.

Overall the entire team looked a bit jaded today, which maybe had something to do with the heat.
We have to be much better on Thursday night.

Today we saw why we bought Barasic.

That goal was a peach. That's why we bought that left paw.

Ironically enough sir, I'd argue that Tav has battered/curved in more quality balls this season thus far than I have ever seen.

By no means an enjoyable spectacle but a welcome 3 points. A few of the boys didn't play as well as they can, however we can't expect excellence in every game and winning ugly is a necessity when winning titles.
Chuffed for Barišić. I don't know if he will make it with us, but his delight at scoring that peach will live with him forever.
Win the next 2 games and we are in an excellent place.

St Mirren today epitomises what's wrong with Scottish football we were pedestrian today possibly because of the opposition having 11 men behind the ball but we will never know as St Mirren never attempted to win the game up until the time added on when they tried for a draw, who knows had they tried to make a game of it our exertions in Europe might have caught up with us, apart from the mhanks games this is what we have to experience all season ffs even the sheep at home put 11 behind the ball.

Totally agree. Just seen the BBC match report and it says St Mirren had 60% of the possession. WTF.

the concern for me would be even when we are in total control of te game and with the amount of possession we had,today we once again gave up a great opportunity for the opposition to get at us,3 points today is great,but if that boy sticks that sitter away we are in all probability looking at 1 point,one thing is for sure though,next week we really need to limit the chances we give that shower,they have shown domestically they have goals in them and from various parts of their team

All that really matters is 3 points in the bag.

Now I of course want and believe we can win next week, but even a draw means we're still joint top of the league with a decent run of games ahead.

Huge improvement on last season as long as we don't lose, but again let me reiterate I really believe we will take all 3 points

That was a great result considering how St Mirren set up.

Defoe sticks that chance away early on we might have went on to give them a bit of a hiding.

3 wins out of 3 and hopefully Barisic get confidence and kickstarts his Rangers career.

The most important thing today was 3 points and I’ll take that.

Hardly the sparkling football we’ve become used to this season so far, but St Mirren packing the defence didn’t help. Thank God for that wonder strike from Barasic. That game needed something special to break the deadlock. I don’t know if it was just an off day, tiredness playing twice a week, or the changes that disjointed things somewhat, but we need to up our game this coming week if we are going to advance in Europe and get the win against the mentally challengeds we all crave.

MOTM: Not many stand outs today, but Ryan Jack was probably our most consistent performer.

All you've done is complain on the thread. Strangely no input when we scored a cracking winning goal.

4 fucking times you said we were poor - just enjoy the victory instead of whinging.

You still never answered my question, I call it as I see it not with blue tinted glasses on !

Might be the best St Mirren side I’ve seen in my life albeit only 28years. Defended really well, bit of pace and strength up front. They’re easily safe this year. That being said, I thought for 90minutes we didn’t look at all like conceding and then a sloppy final 6 meant we could’ve thrown it away.

Was surprised at Defoe not taking his chances. 9 games out of 10 he gets an easy brace and makes things much more comfortable for us. That’s a good start to a potential season defining week.

Back