Stadium more than half empty at 84 minutes

Don’t you know people leave ten minutes early as it’s the difference between them getting home at half 10 and midnight. *rolls eyes*

While I hate leaving early and seeing the stadium empty, it makes a massive difference for those with kids or those who might be up very early in the morning.

Amazing how people can manage to stay to the end if we’re winning an old firm game. The reality is that while there are plenty of genuine reasons ( ferry/ coming from further afield/ kids etc) a lot of it is people getting into a habit of leaving early and it’s become the norm. Also for a lot of guys it’s trying to cram in more pints before they go home

It’s getting beyond a joke now, Gerrard must shake his head in disbelief, team scrapping for an important three points and the stadium is half empty with five minutes to go.

This... If the game was done and dusted then you can understand it (not that I necessarily agree).

But Gerrard had specifically mentioned prematch that we need the crowd and the fans to support the team and we have an important part to play.

(It's not lost on me that it's easy for me to moan as I watched the game on the sofa, but I live in Somerset.)

It’s been happening for as long as I can remember and it will never change. People have different reasons for leaving early and if they pay the money to watch rangers play it’s really up to them when they choose to leave.

I’ve read at least three posts of a similar nature; “The way it is unfortunately”, “Won’t ever change”, etc etc...

Well- why won’t it ever change? These are the questions we ought to be getting answers for.

Personally, I think it’s a really bad habit that’s gotten out of hand. There can’t be thousands with other genuine regular commitments. If we were one nil up against the beggars with ten to go, not a soul would have moved.

I’m almost certain the gaffer will have asked the question at board level, as it’s totally bewildering and borderline embarrassing.

The club keep banging on about a “15k waiting list”. The folk who leave early every week can be replaced if they want to keep embarrassing us. Tickets could go to folk who actually stay till the end.

I have never in my life seen a stadium that emptys as early as Ibrox. Its a joke, complete and utter embarrassment.
Load of old bollocks.

People leave at different times and different games on different days for a myriad of reasons. Work commitments, personal commitments, travelling a significant distance away from Ibrox and if you are with the kids,school. It doesn't make anyone less of a supporter or less staunch. This demand from people to stay the full 90 minutes is pathetic. You pay for your season ticket and you are entitled to leave when you want. What about these folk that rock up 20 mins into the game after the pub? I take it that they are immune from criticism because they stay till the final whistle?

Agree with this

Gerrard should call it out! Klopp done the same when he first went into Liverpool and it worked. They now largely stay to the end

Try talking to the ferry companies to holdback the boats. It seems not tail wagging as you put it. In the very odd occasion maybe if its a final or something then the boats will hold maybe 15/20 mins for extra time etc, but that’s in a very rare odd occasion.

Early kick offs aren’t an issue. As we have all afternoon to wait about. It’s the 3pm and midweeks we are on tight schedules.

Not everyone has the pleasure of living close to Ibrox

My point is , it’s funny how all these “ reasons “ for leaving early completely evaporate for an old firm game or big european match . Hardly a soul left the Legia warsaw home game for example . It was heading to extra time . Were the boats told to wait . Buses ? Did kids Getting to bed early for “ school” the next day suddenly not matter ?

It seems to me people just won’t tell the truth .

They wanted to leave because they were bored , it wasn’t a good game , they wanted out and couldn’t be arsed waiting until full time to applaud the players off the park for their efforts in gaining another 3 crucial points . That’s the truth of it . Otherwise how do you explain all these “ rules “ not applying in big games ?

Its time everyone got together and said allow 15 minutes from the whistle to get on the bus . Without your blue pound they dont Get paid . Sounds like the tail wagging the dog .

Another question , is this ten minute rule applied on old firm games as well , because I dont recall 20,000 people leaving Ibrox early when we beat Celtic Twice at Ibrox . If so a load of people must have missed their bus/boat .
Usually if it’s an early kick off for the old firm, our bus will arrive in Glasgow for 12ish missing the start of the game then you are able to stay to FT/ET..can’t speak for any 3pm kick offs for the old firm but if there were one I’m sure same rules would apply

Majority of old firms I would fly and spend the weekend in Glasgow. Naturally can’t afford to do that every game though.

It's a pain in the arse how long they take to actually piss off. Then they stand at the front blocking our view. Same folk every match. It must be demoralising for the players to see. They do it even when the game is hanging in the balance and we're chasing a winner or hanging on to a slender lead. It makes no sense.

Usually if it’s an early kick off for the old firm, our bus will arrive in Glasgow for 12ish missing the start of the game then you are able to stay to FT/ET..can’t speak for any 3pm kick offs for the old firm but if there were one I’m sure same rules would apply

Majority of old firms I would fly and spend the weekend in Glasgow. Naturally can’t afford to do that every game though.

What about midweek european games . As I say Legia warsaw was heading for extra time and yet all these fans were still in the stadium when Alfie scores . So how is that possible with all these restrictions are in place ? I just can’t figure it out.......

Stayed till the end and clapped the players off. Still managed to be at Central Station by 2210 which I thought was good going considering it was about 2145 when I left the stadium.

I think like the vast majority of people on here, I think it's very poor. Not saying it's "unacceptable" if you need to leave early, but you know fine well that the game lasts approx. 2 hours and there'll be traffic. That's something that should be factored in when you commit to buying a ticket.

The team deserve our support for the full game. (Although, don't get me started on the atmosphere. I'm sick of being the only one - in whatever section I end up sitting - trying to sing songs, only to sound like a tone-deaf MF and stop singing myself because nobody joins in.)

Its not great seeing so many leave early. Im in the 2nd back row of the Copeland rear and waiting till the final whistle means being one of the last out the stadium, thats just something i’ve accepted unlike some others around me that use it as an excuse to go to the pub

I get the bears / bearettes coming over from Northern Ireland to catch a boat. Fair enough, that's not a typical situation and if it was me I would leave also.
While I hate leaving early and seeing the stadium empty, it makes a massive difference for those with kids or those who might be up very early in the morning.
I got in about 20 past 11 last night. Was up for work at the back of 4. I know fine well when I go to Ibrox that its going to be a c*nt of a nights sleep.

Not looking for any brownie points etc but its part of following football, having a rough nights sleep.

10 minutes play after that. Depressing that fans are not committed to stay the distance to help the team see the game out

I know this is a regular post on here. I know there are fans who have no choice, they have to leave. I know these people got off their arses and packed the stadium out. I know there are things/reasons I am missing.

I also know if we were playing an ' important' game tonight. The stadium would be almost full. It I also know that every game we play is important!!!!!. The sooner these fans who choose to leave for no good reason realise they are letting the team down.

Check out Anfield with 5 minutes to go. A team and fans starved of a league win for years like us. Fans committed to support their team in any way they can. Stay and appreciate the players, reward them for the 3 points.
We need to back the team 90 mins plus stoppage time!

It’s the difference of my son getting in a bit earlier for school the next day. Geez peace... there’s always something people need to criticise each other for on here.

Concentrate on yourself and take your eyes off what other people are doing
You leaving 15 mins early means that your son gets to school earlier the next day? What are you talking about?

I don’t understand it. A game of football lasts 90 odd minutes and for a game that kicks off at 7:45pm you know for certain that it’s going to finish sometime after 9:30pm.

Factor in how long it’s going to take to get home and make a decision if that’s too late or not. If it is too late then don’t go and sell your ticket back to the club so someone else can have the ticket who will stay until the end.

The final 10 minutes of the game is the most important and half the stadium emptying must have a negative effect on the players.

That’s my opinion on the matter however controversial it may be.
Totally agree 100%,

Was up in the club deck and couldn’t believe how quick the stadium emptied out.

Realise everyone has their reasons so no point getting into a slagging match about it.

One thing that does annoy me is when fans can become quite hostile towards the players for a slack pass or missed tackle. We were 1-0 up, we shouldn't be putting any added stresses on them.

Exactly mate.

We’re all moaning about no one taking the responsibility to try & make something happen but a few times when guys tried things ( Jack & Aribo we’re examples ) & they didn’t come off it was all abuse.

Come on to %^*& bears, please.

I felt this with flannigan, people couldn’t wait until he made a mistake

I am willing to bet that supporters bus was from somewhere 2 hours or more away from Glasgow.

Its midweek and Bears from England will have work in the morning.

Totally understandable in these circumstances.
I didn't get home til after 11 last night.
I was up for work 4.45am

Would you leave a gig if the band were still playing?

Would you leave a cinema before the end of a film?

People need to get a grip.

Yip if the performance wasn’t great people would leave a gig or film early. U never done that?

You leaving 15 mins early means that your son gets to school earlier the next day? What are you talking about?

I too am baffled by this . My kids start school at 9am. Fifteen minutes extra in bed the night before makes not one iota of difference .

Dunno why it happens, especially in a tight game like last night. Our bus always leaves no later than 10/10.05pm if its a mid week game, allows you to get something to eat or a carry out for the 4 hour bus home? Yet the 'subway loyal' canny wait another 20/30 minutes to get home.

How would you know that?
What's next?
Don't give tickets to those that don't sing?
Don't give tickets to those that don't want safe standing?
Law of averages.

Is there a link between folk who leave early, dont sing & dont want safe standing? Fantastic, get them out. :)

The club keep banging on about a “15k waiting list”. The folk who leave early every week can be replaced if they want to keep embarrassing us. Tickets could go to folk who actually stay till the end.

I have never in my life seen a stadium that emptys as early as Ibrox. Its a joke, complete and utter embarrassment.

5 of us travelled in my mates car, I know for a fact two of the seats would have been empty if me and another pal hadn't used them, personally I would have rather waited the 90 mins and taken the longer drive home but the driver wanted to catch the last ferry, 10.30, so the 4 passengers had no choice in the matter.

It's really no big deal to me anyway seeing folk leave early and I'm sure the players are used to it by now, It's far better having 50,000 infor the KO, I remember pre Souness when a crowd over 20,000 v St Mirren would have been tremendous.

Me and the boy have a bit of a drive home and it really pays to be out the stadium quickly especially as he is young and if it's a school night, but I dont leave. Worst I will do is stand up the back at injury time and that way I can stay till the final whistle. If I left early I'd be on my phone checking the score for FT. defeating the purpose of buying a ticket

Law of averages.

Is there a link between folk who leave early, dont sing & dont want safe standing? Fantastic, get them out. :)
It's never going to stop.
Worse thing is though that the kids will think it's normal and pass it on to their own children in the future.
My old man would have throttled me if I'd suggested leaving early. :D

I don’t understand it. A game of football lasts 90 odd minutes and for a game that kicks off at 7:45pm you know for certain that it’s going to finish sometime after 9:30pm.

Factor in how long it’s going to take to get home and make a decision if that’s too late or not. If it is too late then don’t go and sell your ticket back to the club so someone else can have the ticket who will stay until the end.

The final 10 minutes of the game is the most important and half the stadium emptying must have a negative effect on the players.

That’s my opinion on the matter however controversial it may be.

Not controversial at all , 100 % bang on .

Yip if the performance wasn’t great people would leave a gig or film early. U never done that?

Do you hold Rangers Football Club in the same regard as any band/film? Just a product that you can abandon if you see something you don’t like? If that’s the case then you and whoever else has your mentality would genuinely be better fu<king off and never returning.

How about, I pay my money and I will do as I please?

Admit that then instead of far fetched fairytales and excuses . Just be honest and say “ the game was boring , I couldn’t be arsed staying , I left “ . As I said , isn’t it funny how these 20,000 last night who had to get kids home for “school” :rolleyes: , get buses , boats , weddings , nightshift yadda yadda, were all still in their seats for a midweek game against Legia warsaw that was headin for extra time and maybe even penalties , a 10.30 or even 10.45 pm finish , and all these reasons to leave early had been temporarily suspended .....,,

Do you hold Rangers Football Club in the same regard as any band/film? Just a product that you can abandon if you see something you don’t like? If that’s the case then you and whoever else has your mentality would genuinely be better fu<king off and never returning.

You ok mate?

I never compared them to a gig ot a film I was replying to the poster that did.

Out of curiosity if the guys that left early never returned then Rangers would be playing to a half empty stadium for 90 minutes rather than the final 10. How does that improve the situation lol

It’s become a weekly theme of our Manager, and even Beale in his interview this week, to remind us how important the backing of the fans is, what a difference it makes to the players etc etc. Some choose to interpret that as praise but I think it’s more a wee reminder that they’d like a bit more from us.

I rarely get to Ibrox these days but, when I had a season book, I can’t recall ever leaving before the 90 minute mark. And, yes, we did inevitably end up sitting in a queue to get across the Kingston Bridge LOL. All part of the ‘matchday experience’.

Last edited:
I stayed till the final whistle and was still on the m77 heading to ayrshire well before 10. TBF I did run all the way to my car and was nearer the top end of Nithsdale Road. I saw people leaving the main stand from about 75 minutes on.. I can totally understand why people with disabilities etc would need to leave early but many others not really..

What about midweek european games . As I say Legia warsaw was heading for extra time and yet all these fans were still in the stadium when Alfie scores . So how is that possible with all these restrictions are in place ? I just can’t figure it out.......
Honestly can’t speak for them. I’ve only been to one mid week game, and I can’t remember what time our bus left as it was a few years ago. I know we got the last boat home and there were bad road works going on, it was hit or miss that we got the boat. Ended up being a slow boat which took about 4 hours then by the time everyone got left At their pick up points, it was near 6.30am when I got home o_O that’s why I stick to weekend games!

But people leave our home games early regardless of performance.

I’ve seen us winning 5-0 playing wonderful football - and people go early.

I’ve seen us locked at 0-0 dominating the game and desperately needing a goal - and people go early.

It has now become a compulsion for people. They do it and they don’t really know why.

i don't find it that bad getting home if I stay to the end. I park a 10/15 min walk away in drumoyne, by the time I get there I'd guess a good chunk are already away

There was a crowd of over 49K for a Wednesday night game in January against St. Mirren. Think the fans deserve a bit of credit instead of criticism.
Can't it be both?
I think the OP did praise us and added constructive criticism.

The day we concede a late goal as the players switch off with half the crowd, this place will be in melt down!

Back