Stampede outside cameroon match

I wasn’t meaning you mate. I agree that they need to learn from this. But I do think posts in this thread have got a lot of people using it as a “told you so” towards the tournament.
Ahh fair enough mate, i certainly don’t think footballing matters are for this thread and are crass to say the least.

It should put the spotlight on FIFA but brown envelopes are powerful

I remember fans attending a Who concert being crushed and the press used the word stampede.
It's been used since the year dot to describe crushing incidents/rapidly moving crowds regardless of nationality/race/ethnicity. Maybe it's social conditioning, but my first thought when I hear the word stampede used to describe injuries in a large crowd isn't to equate it to animals.

It's been used since the year dot to describe crushing incidents/rapidly moving crowds regardless of nationality/race/ethnicity. Maybe it's social conditioning, but my first thought when I hear the word stampede used to describe injuries in a large crowd isn't to equate it to animals.
Correct sir.

I wasn’t meaning you mate. I agree that they need to learn from this. But I do think posts in this thread have got a lot of people using it as a “told you so” towards the tournament.
You ever considered that you might be the nutter in this discussion?

You're basically stating that the African nations have no right to host their own tournament, as they don't meet whatever standards you've decided permits them to do so.
We all know that Africa's a 3rd World continent in many respects, but it doesn't mean they're not allowed to host a football tournament.
I don't think you even understand what you're implying here.
I don’t know what the poster is implying so I can’t/ won’t get into that but your point about African country’s holding such a tournament.

If you take aside the mass poverty and travel risks in general then yes it should be looked at and from my knowledge I would say only Egypt, South Africa and Morocco

Tragic and I cannot comment on why it happened because I don't know why?
However, I do notice that the tournament has grown large with 24 teams in it.
Surely they should have taken things more slowly and kept it at 16 teams where the infrastructure and organisation could be more concentrated?

That said, if it must have so many teams, why not hold it every four years instead of every two, which would assist organisation and infrastructure in the same manner?

However, as a football supporter my heart goes out to those involved in the tragedy, at Rangers we know about this all too well.

Tragic and I cannot comment on why it happened because I don't know why?
However, I do notice that the tournament has grown large with 24 teams in it.
Surely they should have taken things more slowly and kept it at 16 teams where the infrastructure and organisation could be more concentrated?

That said, if it must have so many teams, why not hold it every four years instead of every two, which would assist organisation and infrastructure in the same manner?

However, as a football supporter my heart goes out to those involved in the tragedy, at Rangers we know about this all too well.
Absolute common sense, in all aspects.

You can tell how bad their way of living is in Africa when they don’t even cancel the match after a disaster.
Seriously ignorant post.

Africa is a fcking massive continent with over 50 countries and over 1bn people.

I don’t know what the poster is implying so I can’t/ won’t get into that but your point about African country’s holding such a tournament.

If you take aside the mass poverty and travel risks in general then yes it should be looked at and from my knowledge I would say only Egypt, South Africa and Morocco

This is the 12th AFCON since 2000. Egypt (twice) and South Africa along with many others have hosted in that time.

Are similar instances common at these tournaments?

Maybe it’s just a tragedy that occurs at large events from time to time around the world, rather than condemning a continent.

EDIT: I had a look and there doesn't seem to have been. However there are been a few incidents at football grounds in Egypt and South Africa resulting in deaths, including two in the last decade in Cairo.

When you read about these things happening in Africa it's always reported as a 'stampede'.

Stampede means -
To rush wildly in a sudden mass panic.
Stampeded as if they sensed impending danger.

It refers to animals. I find it odd that when football fans in Africa are involved in a crush it's referred to as a 'stampede'.
Oh %^*& off mate

Honestly trying to turn this into a racist thing

This is the 12th AFCON since 2000. Egypt (twice) and South Africa along with many others have hosted in that time.

Are similar instances common at these tournaments?

Maybe it’s just a tragedy that occurs at large events from time to time around the world, rather than condemning a continent.
I am not condemning a continent mate, I have posted links from the government website as well as articles highlighting concerns about attending football matches in Cameron which to be clear is condemning FIFA for allowing it to happen!

This is my last post on the thread as I am gutted for the fans who went to a game and never returned home and that can’t be and shouldn’t be lost in this thread.

The debate around AFCON should be for another one so apologies

I am not condemning a continent mate, I have posted links from the government website as well as articles highlighting concerns about attending football matches in Cameron which to be clear is condemning FIFA for allowing it to happen!

This is my last post on the thread as I am gutted for the fans who went to a game and never returned home and that can’t be and shouldn’t be lost in this thread.

The debate around AFCON should be for another one so apologies
Good post my friend. It's awful news which sadly every Rangers supporter can identify with only too well.

Last edited:
Terrible news. Hope the number doesnt climb any higher. Should have been all about the romantic story of comoros performance with ten men and no keeper and instead its a tragedy.
Not on the same scale but apparently some crushing at elland road at the weekend as well when all the turnstiles for the away end failed. It is so easy for a crowd to turn into something dangerous if its not properly managed.

You can tell how bad their way of living is in Africa when they don’t even cancel the match after a disaster.
They played the european cup final after heysel. And you only need to look at the utter shambles at wembley in the summer to see its not just in Africa where it can be hard to control a crowd - and thats London in 2021.

Tragic.
We know as much as anyone else whst heartache this brings to loved ones.
Went to support their team and never came home......RIP

Please tell me you're not trying to turn this into a covertly racist thing? Just put the term into Google and the first several results relate to anything but incidents in Africa. A Texas pop concert, an Israeli festival, a shrine in India, and lastly the game in Cameroon. It's a perfectly often used word to describe any form of mass crushing/rapidly moving crowd.

People have lost their lives here, that's the issue. Not looking for something to take issue with that isn't there.
I’m actually quite astounded that the thread is attempting to be derailed by that chat.

Anyway, awful tragedy. You would hope it may lead to better control measures in African football.

Hundreds of people have died in slavery trying to build the stadiums and infrastructure for Quatar 22, which has more than whiff of corruption about it.

We’ll all still watch it.

An absolute tragedy. Seems some of the victims are children.

Wonder if Michael Stewart wants to tell us you can't end up in a crush outdoors now?

Should never go to a football match and not return home. RIP to all.

Not sure exactly what happened but I think we were lucky to not see something similar happen at the Euro 2020 final at Wembley

When you read about these things happening in Africa it's always reported as a 'stampede'.

Stampede means -
To rush wildly in a sudden mass panic.
Stampeded as if they sensed impending danger.

It refers to animals. I find it odd that when football fans in Africa are involved in a crush it's referred to as a 'stampede'.
When I seen the thread title the first thought that came to me was wildebeest. Media should be thinking more about the wording they use.

Tournament should be abandoned immediately if people are losing their lives going to watch a football match.
Remember Angola when they held the Afcom.

One of the buses were shot at with players/staff.

They wanted to cancel the game.

They were threatened with getting kicked out the competition

Absolutely rediculo

Absolutely r

Absolutely ridiculous that they would put lives before a football match.

Back