Standard Liege allowed 3750 for Thursday's night game

rangeral

Standard Liege will be cheered on by 3,750 fans when they face Rangers in the Europa League on Thursday.
Steven Gerrard’s side make the trip to Belgium to begin their Group D campaign as they bid to reach the knockout rounds once again.

The Gers have played in front of empty stands throughout their European campaign so far and during their unbeaten start to the Premiership. But they will face a limited home crowd at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne after talks between the club and local council reached a settlement on an acceptable capacity.

A Standard statement read: “Following a consultation between the City of Liège and our club, the local authorities authorize the presence of a restricted public limited to 3,750 people during our European meeting this Thursday at 6:55 pm against Rangers FC.

“In view of the latest measures taken at the catering level, in addition to the ban on entering the stadium with drinks and the closing of the bars, we can no longer activate the drink order service in the stands.
“This measure, combined with the smoking ban, thus enables supporters present to comply with the obligation to wear a mouth mask at all times during the entire period of presence in the stadium.”

This will not be as easy as some people think. They are a decent outfit. I would be happy enough with a draw.

I’m looking forward to that, watching one of our games with some fans and atmosphere will be good to see.

I think our players will enjoy that after every game being BCD. I think these teams have had all crowds domestically, so not such a lift for them.

See I’m undecided if this gives them an advantage or it is an extra motivation for us

Time will tell

I know nothing about them mate.

Would you say they are better than Willem and Galatasaray?
Hard to judge, there 1 point off the top of their league and drew with Brugge at the weekend. I would think it will be a close game.

This is astounding.

The population of Belgium is around double that of Scotland.

They had 2485 people in hospital on Monday which is almost three times as many as us.

They reported 7800 cases a day average last week, that's more each day than we racked up in the whole week.

How can they have people at football and we cant?

This is astounding.

They had 2485 people in hospital on Monday which is almost three times as many as us.

They reported 7800 cases a day average last week, that's more each day than we racked up in the whole week.

Is this just for European games or do they get fans in for league games aswell?

This is astounding.

Cos wee Nippy says so :rolleyes: :(

I think a small number of fans in a large stadium would have a very eerie feeling to it and not necessarily an advantage.

I was at a queen's Park game few years back at Hampden and I found it all a bit surreal. There's no atmosphere, the sounds echo and if anything I'd think a distraction to the players; as rather than generic crowd noise they would hear specific things being shouted. A large crowd can get the adrenaline pumping with a wall of noise but a small number of fans distanced in a large stadium is just a bit flat.

This is astounding.

Belgium is a modern, forward-thinking democracy.

This is astounding.

Because Belgian govt are acting like grown ups despite rising cases

Russia/Ukraine generally don't give a f.uck.
UEFA rules were up to 30% of capacity, so fair play to each for utilising that option. They have a higher scope % wise for selling tickets for domestic games - up to 50% I think for some clubs, but even here they are looking to tighten restrictions and I gather as of this weekend no crowds will be allowed in Moscow stadiums.

The authorities have been pretty clear so far though about avoiding the hard lockdown/quarantine restrictions - and associated economic and societal disasters that the last (half-arsed in terms of compliance) one here in March-June wrought - and for example have closed restaurants and bars between 11pm-6am here as opposed to the panicked and irrational approach other nations such as the UK have been taking. The show must go on and there’s an understanding that the virus has to be lived with and people should be allowed to have a degree of freedom to make choices on how they will do that.

there were still 1800 or thereabouts tickets left a couple days ago for Zenit game when I checked, decided not to bother with this one but will see if they will still be utilising their 30% capacity (22k) under UEFA rules and maybe go to the Lazio or Dortmund games later in the tournament. Only the posh and skybox seats currently available for sale for those two games

Back