Standard Liege

Completely missed that but Kevin Muscat is coach at Sint Truiden, the team that beat them this weekend.

Benfica will batter them both to be honest so I honestly think that if we win our 2 home games against Poznan and Standard that will be enough to get 2nd.
We should be pushing for 1st place in group

Benfica are a good side but we have a great record against Portuguese teams

A victory on Thursday and a draw in the other game, then defeat Lech away should see us through
Lech or Leige wouldn’t overturn a 8/9 point deficit in 3 games

Did you really go to the effort to type that out :)
The post I replied to got me curious.
And I didn't want to just be rude and say 12 points guarantee you nothing.

So after commenting I done a bit of digging and thought I'd share what I found.
And the post grew from there.
Sorry if too much info for you sir.

All that said, not a single like above so seems no one else gave a fook.:eek:

Last edited:
You just know that Poznan will be right up for it against us. Do they not have history with an alliance to the holey goalie who only every seemed to be religious when he played us.

If both us and Benfica win then in its likely that come match day 5 then all we need is to beat Liege at home and we will be through. If its 6-6-0-0 after Thursday night the Benfica games are effectively a free hit for us*

*Assuming Poznan don't win both games v Liege

With our record and performances under Gerrard in Europe we should beat the Poles, however I have serious scar tissue from us writing off teams through the 90's and ending up with egg on our faces.
I doubt Lech will be a canter tbh.

Yes we did but not without a bit of luck on our side, Porto had two cleared off the line by Davis and Goldson and the wonder save from McGregor before we scored.

Braga were 4th or 5th in the league and taught us a lesson in the first half at Ibrox where we could easily have been 4-0 down and if anyone is honest,most of us watching through our fingers that night in the first half,again we carried a bit of luck with the winning goal.

Out of both Porto and Braga, I thought Braga were the far better team and they weren't champions of Portugal and they had some great players. Sometimes in games you carry a bit of luck and take the win,that's just the way football works, I think a lot of people are getting a bit carried away to the extent last week a poster on here saying we could compete with any of the top teams in Europe,and plenty just writing off this Polish team before we've even played them,feet need to be firmly planted on the ground,let's not get carried away.

I've watched Benfica twice now and think they are better than both Porto,Braga and Leverkusen and play better football, I think this out of all the good teams we've played, will be the toughest test and will either show how how far we have come or how far we still have to go before even thinking about the champions league.
Strongly disagree that Benfica are better than Leverkusen tbh. We might not win against Benfica but we’ll give it a go. We couldn’t even do that against Leverkusen

We should be pushing for 1st place in group

Benfica are a good side but we have a great record against Portuguese teams
True BUT I'm not sure a record against Portuguese teams means that much. The only common point is nationality.

We did very well against Porto last season but we actually played them at a good moment when they were struggling.

Since then I'm hearing that Benfica and Porto have improved significantly. Benfica spent over £80m this summer.

There was the same over-confidence on here before we played Leverkusen.

I haven't seen Benfica play but this is the first time since the 13/14 season they have spent more than they have received in transfer fees, which was also after a season they were nicked to the title.

I think finishing top of the group is a tall order.

I thought Standard were decent.
The pitch becoming well night unplayable actually worked in our favour, as they had to chase the game, impossible on that surface.
I thought both their full backs were very good, particularly the RB.

A little bit of revisionisim going on here. They'll pose a threat at Ibrox, although I'd still expect to beat them.

If both us and Benfica win then in its likely that come match day 5 then all we need is to beat Liege at home and we will be through. If its 6-6-0-0 after Thursday night the Benfica games are effectively a free hit for us*

*Assuming Poznan don't win both games v Liege
Nothing like getting ahead of ourselves, is there?
Let's concentrate on getting three points on Thursday.
It most certainly won't be easy. It never is for us in Europe.

Yes we did but not without a bit of luck on our side, Porto had two cleared off the line by Davis and Goldson and the wonder save from McGregor before we scored.

Braga were 4th or 5th in the league and taught us a lesson in the first half at Ibrox where we could easily have been 4-0 down and if anyone is honest,most of us watching through our fingers that night in the first half,again we carried a bit of luck with the winning goal.

Out of both Porto and Braga, I thought Braga were the far better team and they weren't champions of Portugal and they had some great players. Sometimes in games you carry a bit of luck and take the win,that's just the way football works, I think a lot of people are getting a bit carried away to the extent last week a poster on here saying we could compete with any of the top teams in Europe,and plenty just writing off this Polish team before we've even played them,feet need to be firmly planted on the ground,let's not get carried away.

I've watched Benfica twice now and think they are better than both Porto,Braga and Leverkusen and play better football, I think this out of all the good teams we've played, will be the toughest test and will either show how how far we have come or how far we still have to go before even thinking about the champions league.
If they're better than Leverkussen we're in bother.
The Germans were a class or two above us without getting out of first gear.

If they're better than Leverkussen we're in bother.
The Germans were a class or two above us without getting out of first gear.

The Benfica games are fairly irrelevant in terms of qualification, IMO.

Obviously we will try our best to get some points, but I expect we qualify purely based on the games v Liege and Poznan.

Back