Standards, suit, tie and shaven

Greatest Ranger ever, remember we were struggling in the league in 72 but Greig hardly missed a game, sure I remember him getting a bad ankle injury at Ibrox, refused to take his boot off as he knew it would balloon up so he got it strapped from the outside with the bandage on top of the sock and boot. What a warrior he was, only met him once at the AGM in the Royal Concert hall, what a gentleman.

When I first read your post I wondered why you weren't aware of that story then looked at your bio and realised you hadn't even been born then! :)
You've just made me realise that perhaps a whole load of posters on here's favourite team doesn't begin with "Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Grieg......……"
:)):)):))
I’ve stole a few years there but born in 75 so still missed out.

It’s a shame that so little footage exists from those days but if you could probably watch every minute of every game from 2012-2016 if you were deviant enough to want to.

When I first read your post I wondered why you weren't aware of that story then looked at your bio and realised you hadn't even been born then! :)
You've just made me realise that perhaps a whole load of posters on here's favourite team doesn't begin with "Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Grieg......……"
Exactly Captain C, I feel for the young bears, we have been so lucky to have seen so many great Rangers teams. 55 will be so sweet for us all............especially this year.

I have no idea how to,but could someone post the photo of JG from 1972....day after the victory in Barcelona,three piece suit,tie,shades, holding aloft the cup winners cup.
Possibly on the aeroplane entrance steps.
The "coolest" Rangers photo ever in my opinion. :cool:

Greatest Ranger ever, remember we were struggling in the league in 72 but Greig hardly missed a game, sure I remember him getting a bad ankle injury at Ibrox, refused to take his boot off as he knew it would balloon up so he got it strapped from the outside with the bandage on top of the sock and boot. What a warrior he was, only met him once at the AGM in the Royal Concert hall, what a gentleman.
I used to regale Cutlass Jnr with tales of like when John Grieg broke his leg and just got the physios to strap a lollipop stick and an Elastoplast on it and carried on for the rest of the game...and that just proves that the players nowadays are a bunch of pansies by comparison!
:):):)

I like it, he looks cooler with the 5 o' clock shadow.
Even as a self confessed traditionalist, I quite agree.
Years ago a 5 o'clock shadow was considered scruffy and certainly wouldn't have been entertained by anyone at Rangers but times and styles have changed.
I'm all for our manager being one of the coolest looking guys on the planet!
:cool:

Reactions: o7o
I have no idea how to,but could someone post the photo of JG from 1972....day after the victory in Barcelona,three piece suit,tie,shades, holding aloft the cup winners cup.
Possibly on the aeroplane entrance steps.
The "coolest" Rangers photo ever in my opinion. :cool:

images

All I could find right now.

Even as a self confessed traditionalist, I quite agree.
Years ago a 5 o'clock shadow was considered scruffy and certainly wouldn't have been entertained by anyone at Rangers but times and styles have changed.
I'm all for our manager being one of the coolest looking guys on the planet!
:cool:

For me, it gives him an air of "I've been up all night analysing game film and poring over tactical minutiae" and makes him seem somehow more heroic.

Remember the joke about John Greig at the time; Phone call from Ibrox to Mrs Greig; ‘just to let you know John’s on his way home with a broken leg’. Mrs Greig replies ‘whose leg?’ Jokes were much simpler in those days. :))

I’m hardly a young bear anymore but I wasn’t born then either!
My earliest memories are when Souness took over in 86, so not a bad time to start remembering stuff to be honest!

My old man named me after John Greig.

Lots must have had a similar idea as any time I'm at any kind of Rangers event their is always a healthy number of Greig's on the list.

There was a song called Johnny Reggae at the time we sang Johnny Greigy will brake yir fu----n leggy

Last edited:
images

All I could find right now.
Posted before about how we were sitting on the plane at the airport when JG appeared on the runway at the side of the plane with the ECWC held aloft.
Cue bedlam with folk all trying to get off again,big Jock appeared soon after and dragged him away.
John looked as cool as f*ck

I have to agree with above poster about Stevie Gs 5 o'clock shadow. Looked a wee bit scruffy when interviewed on sky sports on Sunday. Maybe we're just from a different era (auld farts)

When David White became manager Jim Baxter and Willie Henderson had Moustaches then Willie Waddell stopped it and clean shaven only

That's my recollection. After the injury, he wouldn't shave it in case it was bad luck.

I seem to remember a comment he made in the ‘Barcelona 72’ DVD that another reason he kept it on after the final was that the Record were paying for exclusive photos of him shaving it off!

EDIT - Just found this: Post #11

Last edited:
This is why I love this place. Every now and then you get a wee education on the history of the club. Being I’m too young for that era I had no idea he grew the beard to cover up a facial injury.

Back