Start of ‘19/20 season

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer

Battered Hibs 6-1, took 5 of Aberdeen and Hearts. Also a few 4-0 wins in the first few months of the season.

I’ve posted the aberdeen and hibs game (enjoy!), interested to hear views on what was different compared to recent years - all the way back to 55 season IMO. I know we’ve scored more goals since Beale has come in but don’t think anyone would call us ruthless.

For me the biggest difference is tempo but
reasons for that/other factors could be (in no particular order);
- players younger/more hungry
- moved it forward more quickly, Davis better than Lundstram at progressing ball.
- played with more width further upfield, think this was prior to two #10s? Ojo, Jones providing width, can debate their value to team but wide starting positions created space centrally.
- better strikers. Defoe clinical, Morelos on form.
- teams less defensive against us? Prior to 55, teams probably didn’t become as defensive as they are now. I think this run of results forced teams to sit a bit deeper against us.

In that first half of the season we also drew away to hearts, aberdeen and a home OF defeat so moving to the 4321 definitely helped in bigger games but for me (maybe confirmation bias) it shows we need more than one system for the different problems we face.

Last edited:

Battered Hibs 6-1, took 5 of Aberdeen and Hearts. Also a few 4-0 wins in the first few months of the season.

I’ve posted the aberdeen and hibs game (enjoy!), interested to hear views on what was different compared to recent years - all the way back to 55 season IMO. I know we’ve scored more goals since Beale has come in but don’t think anyone would call us ruthless.

For me the biggest difference is tempo but
reasons for that/other factors could be (in no particular order);
- players younger/more hungry
- moved it forward more quickly, Davis better than Lundstram at progressing ball.
- played with more width further upfield, think this was prior to two #10s? Ojo, Jones providing width, can debate their value to team but wide starting positions created space centrally.
- better strikers. Defoe clinical, Morelos on form.
- teams less defensive against us? Prior to 55, teams probably didn’t become as defensive as they are now. I think this run of results forced teams to sit a bit deeper against us.

In that first half of the season we also drew away to hearts, aberdeen and a home OF defeat so moving to the 4321 definitely helped in bigger games but for me (maybe confirmation bias) it shows we need more than one system for the different problems we face.

We were already playing 4-3-2-1.

Moved to it at the end of 18-19 season, after Morelos' red card against them. Initially it was to provide more support to Defoe so he wasn't isolated but we comitted fully to the benefits it provided others.

We were already playing 4-3-2-1.

Moved to it at the end of 18-19 season, after Morelos' red card against them. Initially it was to provide more support to Defoe so he wasn't isolated but we comitted fully to the benefits it provided others.
I can’t remember when we made the change so you may well be right. From the highlights though we seem to have much more width on front line and therefore more space in and around the forward.

At the time, I’m not sure I bought into the idea, but on reflection, I definitely think the lack of fans helped that team.

The pressure was more measured and controlled. They aren’t the most resilient bunch. The atmosphere suited them at that time.

There was definitely more of a freedom in the main players. Subsequently the tempo was better.

Kudos to Gerrard, we adapted better than most. We came out the blocks flying in games.

Always felt like we’d listened to a full playlist of battle tunes and came out the dressing room with the full battle fever on. :)

I can’t remember when we made the change so you may well be right. From the highlights though we seem to have much more width on front line and therefore more space in and around the forward.

Our 4-3-2-1 did really operate with width depending on what side the ball was on.

Barisic, Kamara and Kent overloading the left side to create an opening on the right was pretty much a feature.

At the time, I’m not sure I bought into the idea, but on reflection, I definitely think the lack of fans helped that team.

The pressure was more measured and controlled. They aren’t the most resilient bunch. The atmosphere suited them at that time.

There was definitely more of a freedom in the main players. Subsequently the tempo was better.

Kudos to Gerrard, we adapted better than most. We came out the blocks flying in games.

Always felt like we’d listened to a full playlist of battle tunes and came out the dressing room with the full battle fever on. :)
This has always been a side that rides the crest of the wave

When the fans are with them they are pretty unstoppable as showers under Gerrard and Gio

But when the fans arnt with them or there's grumbling things don't go so well

Our 4-3-2-1 did really operate with width depending on what side the ball was on.

Barisic, Kamara and Kent overloading the left side to create an opening on the right was pretty much a feature.

Kamara was a huge key to that stuff, on both sides - would love to see a return

Everybody wanted the ball and hunted it when not in possession. Those qualities were the drivers for our success and they completely vanished when Gerrard left.

Starting to reappear now but the Players no longer have the ability in too many cases. Cantwell and Raskin have picked up the baton, Yilmaz looks like he'll have that quality. A few choice additions in the Summer and we may get back to those dizzy heights and use them to flatten Teams as once we did.

The injuries to Tav Hellander Alfie and Defoe killed us after the break.

The team was playing brilliant and in Europe 1st half of that season as good as any i can remember.

Under Gerrard we improved hugely. It was a trial and error for most things under him as he was a rookie manager.

I beleieved in every OF we would win it under him, under GVB I was as nervous as hell.

Just a shame we couldn't get our act together after the break and stop the 9.

Gerrard dropping Morelos for Defoe in the first Celtic game that season was one of Gerrards more baffling decisions
It was definitely a mistake but had Morelos not been on international duty or something? Mind could be playing tricks on me.

Absolutely loved watched those Gerrard teams, despite things going wrong occasionally.

It was definitely a mistake but had Morelos not been on international duty or something? Mind could be playing tricks on me.

Absolutely loved watched those Gerrard teams, despite things going wrong occasionally.
Had we not played Legia on the Thursday before and the reason was Morelos had run himself into the ground? I may be getting mixed up

Had we not played Legia on the Thursday before and the reason was Morelos had run himself into the ground? I may be getting mixed up
Think that’s right enough.

We also beat them without him at the end of the 18/19 season. May have been in Gerrard’s thinking. His potential for getting sent off was a real problem.

Absolutely battering Hibs and putting 6 past them, but watching the media, radio Scotland and sport scene work themselves into a frenzy over a Scott Allen pass is one of the weirdest things I’ve seen in football.

Think that’s right enough.

We also beat them without him at the end of the 18/19 season. May have been in Gerrard’s thinking. His potential for getting sent off was a real problem.

Probably some truth behind that. Defoe led the line well that game in May 2019, great dummy for Arfield to score the 2nd.

Hindsight it was a clear error though. Next couple of months Morelos was unstoppable, his best spell for us by a country mile.

Back