Starting XI for the season starting?

Its a tough one, especially in midfield. How do you leave Davis, Jack, Kamara or Aribo out and going by tonight Docherty!

Also wouldn't like to leave Katic out but then Helander will no doubt play and I can't see Goldson being dropped and Edmundson looks a player too!

Gerrard has a very good headache to deal with :))

I think it will all depend on the match we are playing.

I beleive we will revert away from the usual 433 like the end of last season away to the like of livi, hamilton, killie etc which will allow another midfielder to come in

Gave up trying to predict the managers team best is
McGregor
Tav and Katic + 2
Davis and Kamara + 2
Alfie + 1
Sorry best I can do

What options we have now. To think we could have players like Jones, Defoe, Stewart, Jack, Murphy... sitting on the bench to come on if needed.

Also we can go 352, 433, 442, 4231...

I still think we’ll sign Kent so on that basis

Starters - McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic; Kamara, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Subs - Foderingham, Katic, Jack, Docherty, Jones, Ojo, Defoe.

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Davis
Aribo

Ojo
Arfield
Morelos

But it really is toss of the coin between Goldson/Katic, Flanagan/Barisic, Jack/Kamara and Morelos/Defoe IMO

We will have 5/6 players that play virtually every week.

The rest will rotate.

Completely depends on the opposition.

I'll need to wait and see, it's too hard except for RB and GK (after the first game).

Seriously, other than those two who would be a certainty?

Seriously tough question, but here goes, in the
4-3-2-1 Xmas tree formation Gerrard seems to favour.....

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Aribo

Ojo Arfield

Defoe/Morelos

Simply can't make my mind up between our 2 outstanding strikers, although I do believe Morelos will probably leave.

Great options from the bench too, with Wes, Halliday, Flanagan, Katic, Edmundson, Kamara, Doc, Stewart, Jones and Hastie.

Changed days, but happy days.

Seriously tough question, but here goes, in the
4-3-2-1 Xmas tree formation Gerrard seems to favour.....

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Davis Aribo

Ojo Arfield

Defoe/Morelos

Simply can't make my mind up between our 2 outstanding strikers, although I do believe Morelos will probably leave.

Great options from the bench too, with Wes, Halliday, Flanagan, Katic, Edmundson, Kamara, Doc, Stewart, Jones and Hastie.

Changed days, but happy days.

We don't know yet how Helander will go but would be surprised if he doesn't play on a regular basis.Katic and Edmundson will be on the bench most weeks but will get game time.

I think Jack,Kamara,Aribo and Doc will be fighting for a place when Davis doesn't play.Arfield definitely plays on regular basis with Stewart as his back up.

Only going by what we have seen so far I'm not sure Hastie is ready for a regular spot and think Ojo and Jones will be ahead of him.Would like another striker as I believe and expect going with the 2 we have now is light.

We are now in a great position squad wise and don't think we are going to be shaking our heads in disbelief at any chosen team and bench this season.

We don't know yet how Helander will go but would be surprised if he doesn't play on a regular basis.Katic and Edmundson will be on the bench most weeks but will get game time.

I think Jack,Kamara,Aribo and Doc will be fighting for a place when Davis doesn't play.Arfield definitely plays on regular basis with Stewart as his back up.

Only going by what we have seen so far I'm not sure Hastie is ready for a regular spot and think Ojo and Jones will be ahead of him.Would like another striker as I believe and expect going with the 2 we have now is light.

We are now in a great position squad wise and don't think we are going to be shaking our heads in disbelief at any chosen team and bench this season.

I agree with pretty much all of that except I would cut Hastie a bit of slack.

He's a 19 year old kid, who's simply trying too hard and will settle down once he becomes more familiar with the unique aura of Ibrox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helander needs to earn his spot he is not a sure starter for me.

No doubts that he will have to earn it, but there's also no doubt that the management team will be fully expecting Helander to be a first pick - we won't be paying £3m for potential back ups very often.

It's both interesting, and somewhat encouraging, that we now have posters leaving Kamara out of their first choice XI - a matter of weeks ago he was being lauded as a future EPL star and one of our best signings in years.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Horses for courses. First team will depend on the venue and opposition. What is important is that we have competition for places and after watching last night we definitely have that.. Can't wait to see how the season develops. #LetsGo

It's both interesting, and somewhat encouraging, that we now have posters leaving Kamara out of their first choice XI - a matter of weeks ago he was being lauded as a future EPL star and one of our best signings in years.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Him and Jack will probably be fighting it out for the right midfield slot in our bigger games.

Davis, as the deep lying midfielder and Aribo on the left, give us a great balance

Him and Jack will probably be fighting it out for the right midfield slot in our bigger games.

Davis, as the deep lying midfielder and Aribo on the left, give us a great balance

No disagreements there, and I think you're right in that we'll see a regular rotation of those two. It's clear Gerrard rates both very highly.

If pressed, I'd say Jack will get the Jersey come Rugby Park in August - just a hunch.

No disagreements there, and I think you're right in that we'll see a regular rotation of those two. It's clear Gerrard rates both very highly.

If pressed, I'd say Jack will get the Jersey come Rugby Park in August - just a hunch.

I'd probably agree.

We won't have a first XI.

Probably a first seven for most big games, with all the others interchanging
And I think it will be uncomfortable at times early on - But an overall success.

Take Docherty as an example. He was positionally undisciplined last night in a game against jobbers, that will be punished by slightly better jobbers.

There will be learning on the job. Patience required.

Looking at these sides I honestly don’t know where Kent would fit in. He’s obviously a better option currently than Hastie/Jones/Stewart but I’d expect Liverpool would want him and Ojo both starting most weeks. It’s a mouthwatering thought but surely only realistic for the cannon fodder games?

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander (just assuming based on the fee)
Barisic

3 from Kamara, Davis, Jack, Aribo

Arfield
Ojo

Morelos or Defoe

I think that's the preferred XI, at a guess. But if we keep progressing in europe, which hopefully we do, then we will be playing Thursday-Sunday most weeks, so there will be a lot of rotation with the centre halfs, Halliday, Docherty, Jones, Murphy, Stewart etc.

I'm going to base my starting 11 on seeing almost the whole team play a few games so far this season...

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Katic
Barisic

Aribo
Davis
Kamara

Ojo
Morelos
Jones

Once Arfield and Helander are up to match fitness I'd expect to see them replace Jones + Katic depending on those players start to the season.

I expect Doc to be pushing on a starting place in the midfield this season along with Jack.

If the starting line up is tough for us to figure out, imagine an opposing managers problem! A Gers first XI v Second XI would probably be a decent watch aswell! Strongest squad we have had for a good few years

First XI
Mcgregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Jack
Davis
Aribo
Arfield
Ojo
Morelos