Starting XI v Poznan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only got to watch 2 Lech games but this is 100% a Morelos game.

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Arfield, Kamara, Hagi, Kent, Morelos

Expecting at least 5 goals in this match. Let's hope we grab three of them.
What makes you think that? (not challenging you, just curiosity!) I've not seen Lech in a good couple of years.

Would be beneficial in lots of ways if Alfie can score a couple in a good win on Thursday

Mcgregor
Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Jack
Davis
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Roofe

For Sunday I’d change it up by bring in arfield, hagi and Morelos for jack, aribo and roofe.

I'm struggling to see why it would be different from the Standard game, unless Barisic isn't fit.

It's amazing that so many people don't have our best player in that game in their team for this week.

It's also amazing how many people want to play Aribo or Arfield out of position.

It's almost like some people don't watch our games, or understand what's happening.

I think Hagi will start tomorrow. He is an extremely clever player and needs time to add some more things to his game like his shooting but he has that key to unlock defenses with just quick one touch passes like we have seen already this season. I think him and Arfield link up really well.
Agree with this. I would have Hagi ahead of Aribo at this point in time. I don't think Aribo is up to full match sharpness yet which is not a criticism, it's understandable.

I think Gerrard sees Arfield as a 1st pick, plus he's also one of our best players on the artificial surfaces.

More likely to start on Sunday, but could easily play in both.

Him, Tav, Goldson and Kent are getting decent recovery time during the international breaks.
That's it, needs to decide which game to start him in. It's a tough call i think.

What makes you think that? (not challenging you, just curiosity!) I've not seen Lech in a good couple of years.

Would be beneficial in lots of ways if Alfie can score a couple in a good win on Thursday
For a start, their centre backs are absolutely shit. Thomas Rogne, who you may remember, is there. We could play any of our forwards and they'll have success, but this is a game where we'll get a lot of joy on the wings and Morelos is the best player to capitalise on those opportunities IMO.

From the stats that I saw (and I don't know if they were representative of the season or just the past match), it appears that they play a high line with the full backs higher up the pitch. I could see Barker playing from the start to hopefully exploit this space.
Thursday
McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic; Jack, Davis, Kamara; Barker, Kent, Morelos (4-3-3)
(Toss up between Jack and Arfield, who are both on top form at the moment).

Sunday
McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Bassey; Jack, Kamara; Hagi, Arfield, Jones; Defoe (4-2-3-1)
I don't think there will be any space behind the Killie defence, but just feel that Kent will need a break and Jones is accustomed to that plastic pitch. Don't think that Aribo, Roofe or Itten will be risked in the starting 11, as they are just getting over their injuries.

Who’s starts for you tomorrow and in what shape? For me the squad’s in a position where I don’t think any team put out would upset me with the strength in depth, barring any major shocks.
Having so many options is a great headache for the manager to have. I’d go back to the 4-3-3 with:

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Arfield
Kent
Morelos
I don't think Morelos deserves to start.

I'd like to see Kent given a rest tomorrow, played every game so far and last few games he hasn't quite captured his early season form tbh (although still obv a very important player for us). Good opportunity to try Roofe out one of the positions behind Moreoos imo, see if that can work, and also wouldnt be against giving Jones another run out too.

So tomorrow:

McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic;
Jack, Kamara; Jones, Aribo, Roofe; Morelos

Sunday:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Bslogun, Barisic; Davis, Kamara; Hagi, Arfield, Kent; Roofe

I love Aribo, and we all know he will develop into a tremendous player, but does anyone else thing he stifles our attack at times with passing it back constantly? He collects it from deep but then doesn't go forward with it or pass it forward, goes to the side or back a fair bit which slows everything down.

Probably being far too critical but i still think he's best on the right as one of the number 10s.

o_Oo_Oo_O

I'd like to see Kent given a rest tomorrow, played every game so far and last few games he hasn't quite captured his early season form tbh (although still obv a very important player for us). Good opportunity to try Roofe out one of the positions behind Moreoos imo, see if that can work, and also wouldnt be against giving Jones another run out too.

So tomorrow:

McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic;
Jack, Kamara; Jones, Aribo, Roofe; Morelos

Sunday:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Bslogun, Barisic; Davis, Kamara; Hagi, Arfield, Kent; Roofe
Jones isn't in the European squad.

He could be a good shout for Sunday however as he is used to the surface.

I love Aribo, and we all know he will develop into a tremendous player, but does anyone else thing he stifles our attack at times with passing it back constantly? He collects it from deep but then doesn't go forward with it or pass it forward, goes to the side or back a fair bit which slows everything down.

Probably being far too critical but i still think he's best on the right as one of the number 10s.
Literally no one else thinks that.

It genuinely sounds like you’re mixing him up with kamara...

Literally no one else thinks that.

It genuinely sounds like you’re mixing him up with kamara...

Haha this is why I was asking if anyone else was of this opinion. I am maybe, just maybe in the minority here :)

Dont get me wrong though i absolutely love Aribo, he's a fantastic player. I was just wondering if anyone else thought that he sometimes plays it back a tad often for someone of his ability. Especially in the 2nd half of games.

Would be madness not to play Hagi in a European game, the environment he thrives most, after the game he just had.

The boy struggled at the start of the year and was rightly benched. Would be poor man management and possibly dent his confidence after he was a Motm contender in the last game.
I disagree mate I’d rather hagi was kept fresh for Sunday v killies packed defence

going with mcgregor
tavernier goldson helander barasic
arfield davis kamara (keep jack fit for sunday)
hagi morelos kent (keep aribo and roofe for sunday)

Only got to watch 2 Lech games but this is 100% a Morelos game.

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Arfield, Kamara, Hagi, Kent, Morelos

Expecting at least 5 goals in this match. Let's hope we grab three of them.

Why would you include alfie? What’s their style of play?

I disagree mate I’d rather hagi was kept fresh for Sunday v killies packed defence
Fair enough. The manager will have some interesting calls this year. As we have seen with Davis and Helander, not every time someone is rotated out the team are they “dropped”. I feel Hagi may be more suited to a European game. With other players perhaps more suited to the rough and tumble of Power, Dicker etc on Killie’s plastic park.

But I understand you value the league games more and see where you are coming from.

I'm struggling to see why it would be different from the Standard game, unless Barisic isn't fit.

It's amazing that so many people don't have our best player in that game in their team for this week.

It's also amazing how many people want to play Aribo or Arfield out of position.

It's almost like some people don't watch our games, or understand what's happening.
Given that Arfield and Aribo have both played in numerous roles across midfield and within that front 3 for Gerrard, and the fluidity of our players within a match I’m not sure what that condescending comment is all about.

Given that Arfield and Aribo have both played in numerous roles across midfield and within that front 3 for Gerrard, and the fluidity of our players within a match I’m not sure what that condescending comment is all about.
Have they played there this season? We have strengthened those positions so that we don't need to play them out of position.
I'm sure Gerrard actually commented on that in relation to Aribo earlier in the season too.

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Bassey - give Borna a wee break

Arfield
Davis
Kamara

Hagi
Kent

Morelos

Jack, Aribo, Roofe to start on Sunday