State of Man United

This post made me chuckle. Sitting 5th in the league, European football, broke the transfer record a couple of years ago and spent about £150 million in the summer. In my opinion it’s hardly the boards fault, every team goes through such periods - fergie leaving an aging team didn’t help the following managers situations however but they’ve had plenty of time and funding to correct it.

They have never recovered from Fergie leaving and don't think they will ever be that team again.
Which makes me happy as I grew up hating Man U, could never explain it, detested them as long as I could remember

gzOyZ3e.gif

Man Utd might still be a rich club, but their revenues have actually been falling noticeably in recent years in light of their lack of success.

I have hated Man Ure for as long as I can remember. I am now getting to the stage where I feel less hate now as they as are in such a mess the laughs and meltdowns are just too frequent and their fans have become absolutely timid and thoroughly beaten individuals. They have gone from thinking they will walk every game to expecting the very worst in a few short years.

I want them (and their fans) getting back to believing they are the biggest and best club team in the world so I can really ridicule the feckers again but having said that it may take a while ... :p

Look how long taken Liverpool to win league again after dominating 80s.could be same for man it'd way they are going

At least Liverpool still played attacking football that maintained their identity. Plus they had some great teams but obviously lacked that bit of solidity in defence. They were still largely about the bit as they say.

You would struggle to say where Man United are headed right now other than down - very few rays of sunshine for them plus they have thrown hundreds of millions at it, only to be left with a mid-table squad devoid of any true world class players.

If I was an ambitious manager they would be very low on my list as they need completely rebuilt from top to bottom and are probably the hardest project you could take on in world football.

I couldn't believe it when I read the other day how much their squad costs, and they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I dont think its anything to do with funding, rather there does not seem to be a coherent strategy. Each new manager does his thing and the next does his. The end result is what we are seeing now. Compare and contrast with our club. Previously no strategy etc etc etc.

It's like when we appointed Super Ally as manager and expected a club legend to be a good manager cos he's a club legend

Everything about the club is toxic. Ole cannot manage this level of team. Their main play (Pogba) doesn’t respect them and the board are happy to soak in the interest and sponsorship money.
Will take them years to get back

Why would anyone enjoy their problems is beyond me,you would think our struggles over the last 8yrs and how the masses laughed at us,not for me I hope they get back to being a force in football again

Seems to be a generational thing. I've no strong feelings either way but my old man (67) absolutely despises them. Never asked him why actually.

They are a shadow of their former selves never really cared for them but they were an entertaining attacking side over the years

I didn’t like them much when we played them home or away but have to say I have massive respect for Man U and their genuine fans. OT is an outstanding place, unfortunately with too many tourists these days.

Its got to the point where I would actually be pleased and quietly confident of progression if we drew them in next round of EL (I know, Braga first and one game at a time).

I'd take our 50k midfield of Davis, Jack and Kamara any day of the week over any combination of their vastly more expensive players like Fred, Matic, McTominay, Lingard, Pereira etc. Especially with Pogba and Rashford out as well. Kent over James, Alfie best striker on show.

They're a mess and we'd do them. Although admittedly I've had a few beers...

Just seems inevitable that Pochettino will be in there. I'm all for not changing managers every season, but there's just no hope at all for them (and isn't it great)

Get Pochettino in and let him rebuild the club from the bottom up

Again, not that I care :D

Fergie = attack minded football
Moyes = defensive monded
Van Gaal = all round dutch style and a bit defensive
Mourinho = Defensive style
Solskjaer = Just bloody hopless

The board employed the wrong managers who play the wrong style of manager for the Man U style game/fans. The fault firmly sits with the board. A Klopp/Gerrard style manager is who they should be employing to achieve the fergie football that brought them the success they had. Imho.
No fan of the Manks , but tbh it took Liverpool 30 years to get it right again .

Its a tough league which is why im not 100% that we would enjoy getting into england as we could easily spend generation or two withoit winning league or even challenging

This post made me chuckle. Sitting 5th in the league, European football, broke the transfer record a couple of years ago and spent about £150 million in the summer. In my opinion it’s hardly the boards fault, every team goes through such periods - fergie leaving an aging team didn’t help the following managers situations however but they’ve had plenty of time and funding to correct it.
It is the boards fault, Solskjaer was a dreadful appointment and he has dragged them even further into the mire.

I
Its a tough league which is why im not 100% that we would enjoy getting into england as we could easily spend generation or two withoit winning league or even challenging
I’ve always said that, we would be a Newcastle or Everton for many years.

With a proper manager that squad would not struggle
Disagree, nowhere near good enough. The very fact they are so reliant on younger players like James, wan bissaka and more recently Williams and greenwood shows the lack of quality across the squad. Those lads should be getting eased in at that level

Club has been in free fall since fergie left. They need a new manager with fresh ideas like what Liverpool did when appointing Klopp

Take years for them to get back now. Be interesting to see what happens with pogba. They are like real Madrid they seem to sign superstars or big players for huge money but don't fit into a team as such. Klopp seems to buy players that will fit into a system rather than big superstar, even sold is so called best player and team got better since he was sold.

Man Utd’s problem is that they keep going with this “Man Utd way” mentality. It worked 10 years ago but the teams around them have adapted and progressed, Utd haven’t.

Why would anyone enjoy their problems is beyond me,you would think our struggles over the last 8yrs and how the masses laughed at us,not for me I hope they get back to being a force in football again

Are you Scotland in disguise ring any bells ?

A proper manager with a proper transfer plan would get them back to where they need to be.

Some in certain circles won't criticise Ole because he's a SAF and man utd golden child from a better era

Facts are. If a better manager say Poch or anybody were in charge right now with that exact same squad..would they be in an identical position?

Doubt it.

There is some dross in that team. How the man child lingaard is actually a professional footballer at that level baffles me. He's absolutely terrible.

Multiple things wrong with Man U, board, fans, and manager. Also can’t help that fergie hangs about like a bad smell.

amazing that a team with such a rotten record can still be sitting in 5th place, they've lost 3 out of their last 5 games. Its slightly remamnicaint of Mcleish's third year - where the team was full of expensive but heart less duds.

If anything this goes to show football is all about cycles. Our winning one is about to start again.

The thing I cant get my head round is Sir Alex basically recommending Moyes for the job - how did he not see it was doomed to fail based on Moyes personality and style of football. Its similar to McCoist getting the nod from Walter - do we think both blinded by friendship and a sense of duty rather than just looking at the cold hard facts?

The fact they spoke about the need for a director of football/technical director almost 3 years ago and still haven't appointed one is mental.

I'd love to get them in the EL, I'd be very confident we'd turn them over.

Ed Woodward, who is in charge of club operations was acquisitions manager / accountant who worked on the Glazers takeover of the club. He has no background in football, but hey, the Glazers like him.

i`m not a united hater, but i feel they`ve had their turn and now its time for someone else to have a spell on top.

looking at their club, it appears to be their scouting system that isnt working. the signings they`ve made over the last few years have been baffling. the managerial appointments have been bizarre.

its no surprise that Jose considers his second place with man u to be one of his best achievements.

to me they need to get someone in for 3 seasons minimum, like pochetta and allow him time to make his own signings/system and they need to improve their infastructure. that woodward seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Good enough for them and about 800 million in debt (scary thought).

Back