Statement from Barcelona, Juve and Real

Moreover, one of its main objectives was to promote women's football on a global level, a tremendous, but currently underestimated, opportunity for the sector.

What bollocks is this? I don’t remember any mention of women’s football in any of it.
There was to be a woman’s league also.

Boo fuckin hoo.

The problem wasn't the innovation of a super league perse' it was that what was being proposed was a stagnant closed shop with no pathway in or out for any other clubs. As per usual these money folks have no idea what the temperature of opinion across the board of football supporters actually is or why the proposed structure benefited no one other than the clubs involved.

Spurs involvement is ridiculous they haven't won anything in 14 years 2007-08 league cup and the last time they won the league was 60 years ago 1961.

Chuck ‘em out. I hope they go bust, the influence of these clubs has destroyed European football as a competitive endeavour - now their bubble is bursting, they want the people they have stepped all over to suffer even more to bail them out? (Oh and btw one of these clubs thinks they can plead poverty AND pay a guy in his mid 30s £2m a week and try to sign Haaland for a crazy fee and wages?)

Could have cut that down to one line and saved the bullshit:

We’ve fucked ourselves financially by paying the likes of Messi and Ronaldo millions per week, so we need you to take more money away from the smaller clubs to give to us.
I don’t think Messi and Ronaldo have fucked anything, given they’re arguably the two best players ever, have won endless trophies, and supposedly generate far more in revenue than they earn.

I don’t think Messi and Ronaldo have fucked anything, given they’re arguably the two best players ever, have won endless trophies, and supposedly generate far more in revenue than they earn.
Every penny Ronaldo or Messi get is one less for the businessmen who think they deserve it more.

They owe as an honour and commitment to their fans?
Didn't they watch the fans response to it on TV

Start selling players and give the rest of us peace eh lads.
They can’t they would most likely have to sell to one of there peer group . They are all trapped having to seek to each other but they are all wildly mis-spending there clubs funds . They are the sort of grouping that David E Murray would hang about with .

financial fair play? With Barca n real 1 billion in debt each - let them go under - Celtic can try claim their titles or something

The fact that Barcelona have allowed this statement to go out when the team have almost season defining game in a few hours shows their lack of interest or thought to anything other than money.

The “ecosystem” is all of their own making!!

Greed, absolute greed and they should be ashamed of themselves!!

They pay their players €millions per month, per player!! Start with that!!
Got to ecosystem and thought this will be a lot of bollocks.

If they want to ensure financial stability they could aways try spending less money.

Just a thought.
100%. What they’re not getting, is that playing in a super league will only mean them having to spend even more money to keep up with the likes of City. Basically, players wages will double and they will be in an even bigger hole. For me, the solution is a wage cap. For European football, that could be 100k a week. It would level the playing field somewhat and mean that crackpot owners aren’t running up debts that are unsustainable.

There was to be a woman’s league also.
That totally passed by me!

I don’t think that’s a bad thing actually - women’s football is a growing and continues to improve.

But that objective of the ESL was very transparent.. and the development of the women’s game wasn’t close to being a priority.

You have to almost admire the brass neck.

Of course the ESL was proposed in the “constructive spirit of collaboration” and “solidarity” and with “utmost respect” for the football ecosystem. And we all clearly recall that one of the main aims was to promote women’s football.

There are seriously people who will believe this horseshit.

I‘d have more respect for them if they said “sport is competitive and about seeking competitive advantage. We want as much money as we can so that we remain the biggest and best, without threats from outside our little group”.

Moreover, one of its main objectives was to promote women's football on a global level, a tremendous, but currently underestimated, opportunity for the sector.

What bollocks is this? I don’t remember any mention of women’s football in any of it.
I picked that out as well, guess that is their version of ‘look a squirrel’

Obviously the way these arseholes have gone about this has been exposed as being extremely sleekit, dishonest, immoral and self serving with the main problem being the closed shop invitation only aspect for the I'm Alright Jacks.

But am I the only one who would've liked us to join a revamped ESL with 2 or 3 tiers and full promotion and relegation?

I hate the rest of the dirty hacking parasitical bastards in Scottish football who've been living off us throughout their entire existence with a passion and would love nothing more than to leave them behind to stew in their own shit whilst we would have the opportunity to achieve truly unlimited global success without them.

Those clubs, for years, have been at the pinnacle of utterly stupid and reckless behaviour in managing their affairs. Like a drunk at an auction they just carry on regardless. As with all spend, spend, spend scenarios whether it's sport or politics, eventually you run out of other peoples' money.
They now want to double down on this stupidity by creating another layer, a "Super League" another lure for other peoples' money, an elite which they will claim demands higher TV money, more sponsorship money, bigger prizes, higher wages, bigger transfer fees. Not only that, it infers that the current system is not only unsatisfactory but currently beneath them and not suited to their gargantuan loss making regimes and disastrous incompetence.
Can't you just hear the refrain. "He's a "Super League" player, worth half a million a week, if you want to buy him it'll cost you £500 million.
And so the merry-go-round continues for a few more years until they once again run out of other peoples' money.
What's the next, head in the sand, money grab going to be, a "World League?"
At some point they will have to bite the bullet and end the upward spiral of wages and transfer fees or go bust. It's as simple as that.

Something has to pay for their brand new, high technology, ultramodern stadium that they couldn't actually afford.
In fairness that stadium is sustainable longer term debt.

It's the majority of their debt has covid messed with that defo but longer term it will pay for itself

What a lying corrupt shower of shite, made worse by the president of Real saying it was designed to "save the game", it was designed to line their pockets at the expense and demise of everyone not involved in the fraud.

These clubs, all 12, are businesses now. They are promoting their own self interest. Trying desperately to provide a product for themselves which will generate more revenue. UEFA are also to blame as their greed overshadows these clubs despite being a governing body. UEFA is the problem. They need a root and branch review, rebuild and rebrand. I'm sure secretly that a number of clubs were envious of the 12. We as a club have outgrown our league and if there was a proposal for a British league then I'm sure we as a club would give it serious consideration. Money talks now in football. Football doesn't.

Reactions: TNT
At least they are standing by their plan. Even if you don't agree with it.

The hypocrites in England have a lot to answer for.

They have blamed "Dodgy foreign owners with no interest in football". And have the audacity to do it on platforms like Sky?

Would these foreign owners want to be involved if it wasn't for the obscene amounts of money paid by Sky? No.

Bottom line is.............The greedy got greedier. Surely that shouldn't be a surprise?

Come on.........Spurs? Super League??????? Based on what?

If this was for the good of all of football, why did they keep it a secret?

And why are so many of these clubs in debt or having to manipulate their accounts to meet FFP regulations?

Well. That's desperation right there.

They'd only be digging their trench deeper, in an undefensible position, if they had nowhere else to go.

Back