Statement on racism by UEFA

Bonnyloyal

There were times, not long ago, when the football family thought that the scourge of racism was a distant memory. The last couple of years have taught us that such thinking was, at best, complacent. The rise of nationalism across the continent has fuelled some unacceptable behaviour and some have taken it upon themselves to think that a football crowd is the right place to give voice to their appalling views.

As a governing body, I know we are not going to win any popularity contests. But some of the views expressed about UEFA's approach to fighting racism have been a long way off the mark. UEFA, in close cooperation with the FARE network (Football Against Racism Europe), instituted the three-stage protocol for identifying and tackling racist behaviour during games.

UEFA's sanctions are among the toughest in sport for clubs and associations whose supporters are racist at our matches. The minimum sanction is a partial closure of the stadium – a move which costs the hosts at least hundreds of thousands in lost revenue and attaches a stigma to their supporters.

UEFA is the only football body to ban a player for ten matches for racist behaviour – the most severe punishment level in the game. Believe me, UEFA is committed to doing everything it can to eliminate this disease from football. We cannot afford to be content with this; we must always strive to strengthen our resolve.

More broadly, the football family – everyone from administrators to players, coaches and fans – needs to work with governments and NGOs to wage war on the racists and to marginalise their abhorrent views to the fringes of society. Football associations themselves cannot solve this problem. Governments too need to do more in this area. Only by working together in the name of decency and honour will we make progress.

It’s shouldn’t be footballs job to tackle racism but UEFA turned a blind eye to it for years, giving what were tiny slaps on the wrist to clubs and countries.

Lets see what’s happens if one of the big boys are guilty of racist behaviour.

They would be better putting into writing a legal definition of what they consider Racism to be,it must be detailed and cover all aspects of what they(UEFA)consider to be racist behavior in all countries over which UEFA presides.

If we keep our side of the street clean then when you point the finger at others these cowards will have to do something about it.
We are now in a position to box clever and stop all the crap forever..
We can sing God save the Queen and Rulr Britannia as much as we like.
The English fans showed that last night!!!

There were times, not long ago, when the football family thought that the scourge of racism was a distant memory. o_O

That's as far as I got. They fine clubs nominal amounts every year for it. They turn a blind eye to it in the bigger nations. Distant memory my erse. The neck on these cants.

This statement only gives more validity to discredited bigots like FARE to go after our support even more as they have done at present. Our fanbase need to wisen up and realise that anything we do will be jumped on by the likes of FARE as racism, which is utterly laughable. Ask Mark Walters, Big Marv, Jermain De Foe, and many more black Rangers players if they've ever suffered racism at Rangers, by our staff or support. These guys are idols and heroes to Rangers fans, but we are on FARE's radar, make no mistake about that.

They will be looking to make an example of someone soon but they will choose their example carefully.

It won't be one of the "big" countries or clubs from those countries.

There are those within FARE who will be champing at the bid to pursue their own agenda. We know who they are.

Don't give them the excuse. We made Ibrox an intimidating place for Feyenoord without the baggage.

Oh if only people in the stands would take telescopes to read the message on the red cards the players display before kick off surely that would stop the brain dead racist behaviour and we can all enjoy matches being stopped for flares instead.

There were times, not long ago, when the football family thought that the scourge of racism was a distant memory. The last couple of years have taught us that such thinking was, at best, complacent. The rise of nationalism across the continent has fuelled some unacceptable behaviour and some have taken it upon themselves to think that a football crowd is the right place to give voice to their appalling views.

As a governing body, I know we are not going to win any popularity contests. But some of the views expressed about UEFA's approach to fighting racism have been a long way off the mark. UEFA, in close cooperation with the FARE network (Football Against Racism Europe), instituted the three-stage protocol for identifying and tackling racist behaviour during games.

UEFA's sanctions are among the toughest in sport for clubs and associations whose supporters are racist at our matches. The minimum sanction is a partial closure of the stadium – a move which costs the hosts at least hundreds of thousands in lost revenue and attaches a stigma to their supporters.

UEFA is the only football body to ban a player for ten matches for racist behaviour – the most severe punishment level in the game. Believe me, UEFA is committed to doing everything it can to eliminate this disease from football. We cannot afford to be content with this; we must always strive to strengthen our resolve.

More broadly, the football family – everyone from administrators to players, coaches and fans – needs to work with governments and NGOs to wage war on the racists and to marginalise their abhorrent views to the fringes of society. Football associations themselves cannot solve this problem. Governments too need to do more in this area. Only by working together in the name of decency and honour will we make progress.
eKZvTaD.gif

That statement says a partial stadium closure is the minimum sanction and costs the hosts hundreds of thousands in lost revenue.

Not when there’s plenty of empty seats in the rest of the stadium like last night, hasn’t cost the hosts a penny

Ah, that bastion of morality FARE - That'll be the very same one who, on receipt of complaints about celtc fc , then forwarded on the complainant's details to the CEO of celtc fc and in doing so breached the Data protection act.

Although they were sanctioned, an explanation of why they did so has not been made public - Too my knowledge?

Two utterly sham organisations and it's no wonder they are now bedfellows.

The sooner they realise our brand of racism is ok, the sooner we can move and concentrate on real racism. Or something.

Probably been talked about in other threads, but I see that woman beater Collymore refused an interview on GMB this morning as he basically said he only got asked as he's black. I'm sorry but that kind of pish is damaging as well. Tosser

As I said they don't care about stopping racism, they only want the good PR that comes from saying we will do this and that to stop it.

England charged with disrupting Bulgaria's anthem (or bringing bad PR to UEFA about racism). Bet they get the book thrown at them.

This statement only gives more validity to discredited bigots like FARE to go after our support even more as they have done at present. Our fanbase need to wisen up and realise that anything we do will be jumped on by the likes of FARE as racism, which is utterly laughable. Ask Mark Walters, Big Marv, Jermain De Foe, and many more black Rangers players if they've ever suffered racism at Rangers, by our staff or support. These guys are idols and heroes to Rangers fans, but we are on FARE's radar, make no mistake about that.

I think a few on here are in for a shock. We're being targeted by FARE and it wont be long till they find something to ban us for. All the pleading and vague statements about "getting our house in order" or "cutting out the unacceptable songs" isnt going to work because its not specific enough AND there's no dialogue between club and fans.

The one positive when we're banned is we can all be happy knowing racism is over at Ibrox.

"The rise of nationalism across the continent has fuelled some unacceptable behaviour and some have taken it upon themselves to think that a football crowd is the right place to give voice to their appalling views".

There's a politically charged statement if ever I saw one.

Nationalism - unaceptable behaviour - racism.

A couple of leaps?

They will be looking to make an example of someone soon but they will choose their example carefully.

It won't be one of the "big" countries or clubs from those countries.

There are those within FARE who will be champing at the bid to pursue their own agenda. We know who they are.

Don't give them the excuse. We made Ibrox an intimidating place for Feyenoord without the baggage.

You dont think FARE are unfair do you?

"The rise of nationalism across the continent has fuelled some unacceptable behaviour and some have taken it upon themselves to think that a football crowd is the right place to give voice to their appalling views".

There's a politically charged statement if ever I saw one.

Nationalism - unaceptable behaviour - racism.

A couple of leaps?

Irish Nationalism is fine.

Scottish Nationalism is fine.

English Nationalism is racist.

British Nationalism is racist.

Ulster Loyalism is racist.

That's the rules.

Its easy to say we need to wisen up, but until it is very clear what is judged as inappropriate we are all in the dark apart from the very obvious which we no longer participate in, the other problem us as supporters face is that seemingly FARE operate with vague guidelines and have zero transparency and consistency across the board, their "rules" are enforced on Rangers fans but evidently not on other teams supporters. They flag up Rangers supporters but fail to spot blatent racism and sectarianism across Europe apart from when footballers stop playing. How do we wisen up when the powers that be will fine us for farting? I hate to say it but FARE, based on their actions against Rangers prove that they are an agenda driven group.

I think a few on here are in for a shock. We're being targeted by FARE and it wont be long till they find something to ban us for. All the pleading and vague statements about "getting our house in order" or "cutting out the unacceptable songs" isnt going to work because its not specific enough AND there's no dialogue between club and fans.

The one positive when we're banned is we can all be happy knowing racism is over at Ibrox.
I'm sorry if I come accross as dim but is that last paragraph a joke?

We can all see the danger to our club here. As others have said it won’t be a big country or a big team that gets banned.

We need to screw the nut. Even last night we had some roasters trying to defend the the Bulgarian fans. We are close to assrious sanction. We need to learn the lessons

I detest that the idiots in our support have managed to get us in the spotlight alongside Bulgarians.

We have to be clever ,,,we are an easy target,,,and the agenda against us has already been set,,the reality is ,unless we stop singing certain songs, we will be banned from Europe and then the spfl will bring in rules that will affect us aswell,,,,

I see its all Eastern and Southern Europe. I don't think the majority of Europe has an issue but the Balkans, Poland, Italy and Spain do.

Its easy to say we need to wisen up, but until it is very clear what is judged as inappropriate we are all in the dark apart from the very obvious which we no longer participate in, the other problem us as supporters face is that seemingly FARE operate with vague guidelines and have zero transparency and consistency across the board, their "rules" are enforced on Rangers fans but evidently not on other teams supporters. They flag up Rangers supporters but fail to spot blatent racism and sectarianism across Europe apart from when footballers stop playing. How do we wisen up when the powers that be will fine us for farting? I hate to say it but FARE, based on their actions against Rangers prove that they are an agenda driven group.
As long as they attach a stigma on us all as Rangers fans then they'll be happy, they say as much in the statement.

We have to be clever ,,,we are an easy target,,,and the agenda against us has already been set,,the reality is ,unless we stop singing certain songs, we will be banned from Europe and then the spfl will bring in rules that will affect us aswell,,,,

"Certain songs"? I think you'll find these songs are open to change and subject to interpretation. FARE will decide.

As soon as FARE start reporting anti protestant sectarianism is when I’ll consider them fit for purpose.

Of course, none of that means we shouldn't keep our own house in order

Its a shame you're not the arbiter of what is and isnt "fit for purpose".

Some of us can see where this is going. FARE just need to be patient. They dont want to make it too obvious.

Its sarcasm, but have a look through the thread and you'll plenty of posts about vile racists but no recognition that we've been found guilty twice. Doesnt that make us vile racists?
Sorry, probably because I've read so much nonsense today I couldn't tell. Well what uefa regard as racism is pretty vague, seemingly changes depending on who they are after.

Sorry, probably because I've read so much nonsense today I couldn't tell. Well what uefa regard as racism is pretty vague, seemingly changes depending on who they are after.

Im aiming it at those that are backing Uefa without giving any thought to their charges against us. We've been sanctioned twice for racism when there's been none at Ibrox for years. Its all well and good pointing the finger at others but soon they'll be pointing the finger at us.

Could we be the first British club to be banned? Who decides? Is it based on FARE's biased views?

Back