Stats for Centre Halfs

cloodie

Official Ticketer
The table shows shot suppression for centre halfs in comparison to their defensive partner (in simple terms it's which centre halfs area of the park the shots come from). Anything above zero shows that that a player is doing better than their defensive partner in this area. Now before people lose their shit this is only one particular stat but it is an important one and it's shaping up to be the same as it was last season in terms of our own centre halfs.

2d51e1f65b7e9cb36e917b8d14f8f647.png

Source:

One thing I should add to this is that being top of the table doesn't mean you're the best in the league, it means there's a bigger margin between that player and their defensive partner.

Not sure it really means anything. Let's say Goldson sclaffs a pass into Katic's "zone of influence" (FFS) and we concede a goal, that would count against Katic, right?

By the author's own admission it's far from perfect:
As the data adds up you can see what percentage of shots came from either side of the pitch. Now, I am the first to admit that this isn’t perfect. Football is a fluid sport. Sometimes a left sided center back is caught up on the other side supporting his partner. Often a breakdown occurs elsewhere that the center back has no control over.

Not sure it really means anything. Let's say Goldson sclaffs a pass into Katic's "zone of influence" (FFS) and we concede a goal, that would count against Katic, right?

Like any stat it'll have it's issues and you're right that would be the case but when it's consistently telling us the same thing then it can't be waved away. Also, when you look at other teams it does seem to show that the players who seem to be the better centre halfs in the team come out on top of their partners over the peice.

Tells us the left hand side of the defence is the weakest.

We all know this, however a Thursday night Barasic and Helander might just improve the stats. That’s not ruling out Katic, it’s telling us that players filling in on left side are not as strong as players in preferred positions.

I'm not really on any side of the Goldson/Katic debate – in my eyes they're both very good and I feel like Goldson is getting an unwarranted level of criticism this year, much like Katic did last season.

So with that said, unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't really show much of anything. Could this simply be showing that our opposition attack our left side more? Which would make a lot of sense because we're constantly juggling Barisic/Flanagan/Halliday without anyone really nailing down the position.

I’m maybe being a bit thick, but has the case not always been that one guy presses the ball and the other drops off?

Could that not be the case here? I’d be concerned if both were aimlessly pressing outside the box.

Also, how often do we concede from distance? Maybe letting them shoot from further out is less damaging than pushing the ball wide for crosses or creating big gaps when they press too early - considering our full backs are attacking, rarely would Tav or Borna cover back on the inside.

I'm not really on any side of the Goldson/Katic debate – in my eyes they're both very good and I feel like Goldson is getting an unwarranted level of criticism this year, much like Katic did last season.

So with that said, unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't really show much of anything. Could this simply be showing that our opposition attack our left side more? Which would make a lot of sense because we're constantly juggling Barisic/Flanagan/Halliday without anyone really nailing down the position.
It could, but the problem with that is that last season Goldson was only slightly ahead of Worral who played that position but still a good bit in front of Katic.

pic.png

Take Mittjylands second goal over there. So many players out of position that the shot and goal came from Katic and Barisic's area. However the chain of people being caught out started on the right hand side meaning every had to step in one.

Goldson isn't a weak link as such however I think he is the one that is most likely to give away a daft goal in our defence. Doesn't make him a poor defender just one that needs to be more consistent. Amoruso is regarded as a having been a rock for us but you don't have to think too hard to remember the goals he cost us. Its a position you need mental strength to get over your mistakes.

It is the usual thing on here, a player gets it in the neck without any proper constructive criticism.
Connar Goldson is our best central defender, however, he has made a few errors this season and the one against The Filth ultimately cost us the game.
That said, his contributions to the team since he came to Ibrox has been immense.
He is a stalwart.
However, he has to cut out the 'cute' pass in our half that doesn't make it and I am sure he has had this pointed out to him by Gerrard.

As for Katic, his best position would be on the right although he has played on the wrong side with consistent aplomb.
He is a star in the making.
Helander being a naturally sided left-footed player and bearing in mind his fee and his experience really should be a first pick.
That we would argue Katic in front of him merely tells us that Katic is a cracking player and that we have a great set of reliable centre backs who will all be used over a long season.

Same - I'm just delighted that we have 4 quality CBs.

The Katic/Goldson thing is just the latest debate involving posters that don't like each other. If you read the threads it ends up 10% about the players and 90% personal animus.

Same - I'm just delighted that we have 4 quality CBs.

The Katic/Goldson thing is just the latest debate involving posters that don't like each other. If you read the threads it ends up 10% about the players and 90% personal animus.
My problem with the whole Katic/ Goldson issue has been that some folk who want to talk up Katic do so by trying to bring down Goldson, which is bizarre as he's our best centre half. Imo Katic will be go on to be a player for us but folk forget he's still young and has plenty of time to develop. He's actually younger than David Bates (by a few days)

My problem with the whole Katic/ Goldson issue has been that some folk who want to talk up Katic do so by trying to bring down Goldson, which is bizarre as he's our best centre half. Imo Katic will be go on to be a player for us but folk forget he's still young and has plenty of time to develop. He's actually younger than David Bates (by a few days)
Ignore it mate it's just the usual huffy pish.

Goldson will play regardless of form etc, aye no bother.

I’d love to comment on this.

If only somebody could explain wtf it means. :))

Statistically I am of the opinion that we could do with less statistics.

I'd think the left cb would always be penalised just because there are more right footed strikers so they'll go towards the left of the defense to shoot.

Also in a partnership where one player attacks pretty much everything and one sweeps that would have to have an impact as the space will be behind the stopper if he can't win the first ball.

That's before we even consider the ability of full backs to cover.

or if the opposition see goldson as a weak link they'll target that area

I'd think the left cb would always be penalised just because there are more right footed strikers so they'll go towards the left of the defense to shoot.

Also in a partnership where one player attacks pretty much everything and one sweeps that would have to have an impact as the space will be behind the stopper if he can't win the first ball.

That's before we even consider the ability of full backs to cover.
The stats show that the there is a slight increase in scoring chances, 53% - 47% in favour of them coming from the attacking team's right side but the stats used to analyse defensive performance here have been adjusted to take account of that.

Back