Stats, god or the devil

Always find it interesting the difference of opinion that statistics in football seem to cause. Some have them as the be all and end all and you can sense others almost raging at the mention of them. My opinion is that stats are brilliant and I love to read the posts with any information like assists or tackles won. I do however see the dangers of people relying on them alone. For example an assist might depend on the quality of the striker and also the style of play. I read last year that although Candieas assist rate seemed poor he’d been involved in 18 of Alfie’s goals.
What’s the general consensus and is it an age thing are the younger or older guys more interested in stats?

In general terms, stats are a good thing.
Sometimes though, you just need more evidence or support.
Look at Arfield’s goal against septic last season.
Who got the assist for that?
Kamara for his pass?
What recognition did Defoe get for his exquisite dummy?
This was every bit as important as the pass, was it not?
Another one?
What credit does Ryan Kent get for the pass to Morelos when the latter failed to score against septic in the last game.
What about Goldson’s contribution with his crossfield pass to Kent that started that move?
Some will say you can dig and dig here.
They’d be right but, for me, to support or criticise, you need to be fair.

Stats are like VAR. Extremely important and useful. As long as you are aware of their limitations and implement it and interpret what they're telling you correctly.

However, like VAR, there are those that just point blank refuse to acknowledge this. Anything that they don't understand or requires a bit of thinking on their part is "a lot of sh!te."

efc3a2db9fc2b2894f8a692665599610.jpg

A really useful tool. But as the old saying goes, never tells the full story. But they do help provide a decent synopsis.

Back