Stendel To Be The New Hearts Manager

Jan Žižka

Barnsley have written to Hearts demanding money for the appointment of Daniel Stendel.

The German is poised to put pen to paper on a deal to succeed Craig Levein. And Tynecastle owner Ann Budge hopes to have the 45-year-old signed and sealed before Wednesday night's home league clash with Livingston.

Despite being relieved of his duties in October, however, Stendel is still on the payroll of the Championship club.

And with the two parties yet to agree a final severance package, Barnsley chief executive Paul Conway has contacted Hearts seeking compensation in return for releasing Stendel.

'We still have a valid contract with Daniel Stendel until the end of the season,' Conway told Sportsmail on Monday. 'There is already a tampering issue with us concerning his existing contract.
'And if anybody else is tampering with our rights, we are going to expect compensation.'
Conway admitted Hearts have yet to respond - but insisted that he will take legal action to pursue the matter if necessary.
'Hearts have our letter and we have notified them and, if they want to hire Daniel, that's fine, that's their choice,' said the Oakwell chief. 'But they either pay us now or we will file a claim against them. And if any club wants to fight it, we will win.'
With Stendel keen to bring in trusted coaches Chris Stern and Dale Tonge, the Edinburgh club are prepared to commit a significant sum to securing the former Hannover 96 coach. And neither the wage bill nor the possibility of a compensation claim are regarded as last minuet deal-breakers.

Five weeks since the departure of Levein, Budge has been under pressure to secure her No 1 choice after a dispiriting 5-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox on Sunday. And Sportsmail understands a deal is all but done.

Currently tenth in the Premiership, only goal difference is keeping the Gorgie side above the bottom two of St Mirren and St Johnstone. It's unclear if interim coach Austin MacPhee will be in the technical area for the last time on Wednesday night.

Former Hearts defender Alan McLaren said his old club are in a 'mess' and that the managerial uncertainty needs a swift resolution.
'I am surprised how long it has taken,' said McLaren. 'They obviously made a decision that Craig was going to be relieved of his duties and, at that point, a plan should have been place.
'Austin has stepped up and it's not worked out for him so far.
'A three and five-nil defeat, and if this is his audition then, no (he's not a viable candidate for the job). That's it.
'The manager's role, or first-team coach, has to be addressed but by all accounts you have to do the sporting director first and everyone has sort of forgotten about that.
'It is in a bit of a mess at this present moment in time.' Meanwhile, Manchester City held talks with Hearts owner Budge last week with a view to signing teenage star Aaron Hickey.

The 17-year-old full-back has been one of Hearts' better performers this season, scoring the winner in their derby victory over Hibs in September.

If Manchester City are looking at Hickey I'm a dutchman. Horribly exposed at this level and hearts are in danger of ruining him.
If they've actually been watching him they'd not even bother. Him being 16 and playing well in a cup final will have gotten the attention of all the clubs desperate to horde as much young talent as possible but he's just not very good. In all 3 games against us he's been poor and made mistakes. First game at their ground he completely forgot about Morelos and allowed him to score off the corner, in the semi final Kent caught him isolated and he made a good impression of a statue and yesterday he was just poor all around and topped off by getting destroyed in the air by Morelos for the first

Barnsley are being absolute changers here. They put the guy on gardening leave effectively paying him for nothing yet they want compo? Whereas in reality it should be stendel getting paid off as he was the guy relieved of his duties.
An absolute farce.
And for what its worth I don’t think he’s the man hearts need right now.

I am sure Man City have had him watched.

Man City scouting head to their lowest rated scout "there's a 16 year old at Hearts played well in a cup final by all accounts. Go and have a look at him"

Scout after 15minutes "I've had a look boss I am off for a pie"

My mate is a Barnsley fan and he says he's one of the best managers they've had in recent times. He wanted to add some experience to the young squad that he got promoted from League One but the owners refused because of Moneyball and ultimately that saw them struggle.

Surprised he's gone there as the word was he wanted back to Germany. He's still pretty well thought of here.

He has a 48%win record in his managerial career covering 100 games, draws and losses approx 50-50.

Thats typical Hearts material I suppose.
Pretty decent considering who he’s managed actually. If Hearts won half their games and drew half of the other ones they’d be in the mid-sixties pointswise. That sees them hanging around 3rd up here.

Decent appointment and the Barnsley fans were sad to see him leave. Certainly better than the usual Scottish dross.

Hearts are doing what we done with after Pedro basically f*cking about for X amount of games not giving a f*ck. Hoping this all ends in tears too except a lucky result against the mentally challengeds at tynecastle.

Hopefully they get him Quickly, gives him just over a week to train and stamp authority over them before the manks are in town.

How can they think they deserve compensation when the guy left in October?
They are probably still paying him what he was owed in his contract. I think they are chancing their arm and trying to make Hearts pay the remainder.

Pretty poor of Barnsley , they should just be glad to get him off the wages. His record seems decent. Regarding the time Hearts are taking ,in very few lines of work would you replace a senior manager immediately. Too many clubs do this and end up in a mess. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Reckon he'll get them into the top 6 this season. If he gets a win against the paedo terrorist sympathisers then even better. Relegation would be a laugh right enough.

3mmosx2.gif

Not really bothered but seems a very strange appointment to me. They were promised “very experienced and high-profile” for the Manager. He has managed two fairly small teams in a total of 100 games as others have said. Seemed popular with Barnsley fans and players though.

To finally get someone in is going to be a relief, if this does indeed get over the line...

I’m concerned at 2 things though. How much time is he going to be given to overhaul the squad as there isn’t a lot of deadwood left over from the 90+ signings we made in last 3 years? And is he bringing his own backroom team in as I feel everyone needs a fresh start.

Not looking to debate these points as I’m obviously on a Rangers forum but there are plenty questions to be asked about this appointment. I’d happily take a steadying of the ship and rebuild over summer, he has to be shown at least a fraction of the loyalty Levein was.

To finally get someone in is going to be a relief, if this does indeed get over the line...

I’m concerned at 2 things though. How much time is he going to be given to overhaul the squad as there isn’t a lot of deadwood left over from the 90+ signings we made in last 3 years? And is he bringing his own backroom team in as I feel everyone needs a fresh start.

Not looking to debate these points as I’m obviously on a Rangers forum but there are plenty questions to be asked about this appointment. I’d happily take a steadying of the ship and rebuild over summer, he has to be shown at least a fraction of the loyalty Levein was.

The thread is about your clubs manager, debate away.

I think he's exactly the kind of manager you need looking at his success percentages.

If he achieved that from the start of the season with you, you would be 4 points from 3rd with a game in hand.

3rd is where Hearts should be contesting realistically so this is a fine appointment imho.

He’s a decent manager and better than Jack Ross if the English leagues are any barometer.

Not really bothered but seems a very strange appointment to me. They were promised “very experienced and high-profile” for the Manager. He has managed two fairly small teams in a total of 100 games as others have said. Seemed popular with Barnsley fans and players though.

Wolfsburg aren’t small!

The thread is about your clubs manager, debate away.

I think he's exactly the kind of manager you need looking at his success percentages.

If he achieved that from the start of the season with you, you would be 4 points from 3rd with a game in hand.

3rd is where Hearts should be contesting realistically so this is a fine appointment imho.
I think he would potentially bring a much needed change to our style, and his still being admired at Barnsley suggests he was a popular character.

Apart from charisma it’s all about results though, and by all accounts to take Barnsley up over Ross’ Sundeland for example was a great achievement so it’s an exciting one as long as he is given the right environment to work in.

He was a cracking manager for us last season. Played some great football in acheiving promotion from league 1 to the championship.

He did ask for some experience within the team (oldest payer is 25) but that doesn't seem to havr gone down well and his "sacking" was carried out in acomplete farce of a way. I did hear he was still under contract to the club after he had supposedly parted company. Looked from the outside that he was treated badly.

Even tho we were and still are bottom the league I was dissapointed with him leaving.

He was a great character also. During the world cup he was drinking in the town in his Germany shirt and as soon as they got knocked out he had an England shirt on. Even turned up to an imprptu leaving do for him. Let the fans have a proper good bye. By all accounts players were told not to attend.

Anyway he tries to get his teams to plays high press atractive football. I for one wish him well and hope he does well at Hearts, but not as well as Rangers - 2nd would be good :)

I think he would potentially bring a much needed change to our style, and his still being admired at Barnsley suggests he was a popular character.

Apart from charisma it’s all about results though, and by all accounts to take Barnsley up over Ross’ Sundeland for example was a great achievement so it’s an exciting one as long as he is given the right environment to work in.

Hearts can only start playing football again under him mate.

Yer rugby union days at Tynecastle are over.

Maybe I'm in the minority on here but Hearts are a club I have no issue with especially if you're keeping hibs and aberdeen down.

He will do well with you.

Hearts can only start playing football again under him mate.

Yer rugby union days at Tynecastle are over.

Maybe I'm in the minority on here but Hearts are a club I have no issue with especially if you're keeping hibs and aberdeen down.

He will do well with you.
I was brought up on the sensibility that we and Rangers were clubs of similar principles and respect for all in our communities. This has changed with the young team coming through in our support but I’ve always wished Rangers success.

We should easily be a top 4 club with our infrastructure, in fact we need to be, so I’m hopeful Stendel is given a fair crack and allowed a few ropey results along the way.

I was brought up on the sensibility that we and Rangers were clubs of similar principles and respect for all in our communities. This has changed with the young team coming through in our support but I’ve always wished Rangers success.

We should easily be a top 4 club with our infrastructure, in fact we need to be, so I’m hopeful Stendel is given a fair crack and allowed a few ropey results along the way.

We were brought up the same way. :cool:

We have small changes within the demographic of our support also in that time.

Hearts really shouldn't be anything lower than 3rd in our league mate, maybe not this season given the start you have given others, but that must be the aim.

I for 1 hope this is so, perfectly palatable for me and then take 2nd spot from cellic.

The wording of the reporting seems different saying he will be offered the job. I wonder if they are offering him the job at a reduced wage as has been spoken about?

We were brought up the same way. :cool:

We have small changes within the demographic of our support also in that time.

Hearts really shouldn't be anything lower than 3rd in our league mate, maybe not this season given the start you have given others, but that must be the aim.

I for 1 hope this is so, perfectly palatable for me and then take 2nd spot from cellic.
Get a fucking room you two!:p :))

I worked just round from your stadium/park from 2005-2008 and your support were bitter as %^*& about Rangers.

I work wuth a hearts fan who shares your concern about the backroom team. As he put it, a new manager means nothing if uiuve still the ghost of Levein kicking about and his staff running the drills. They need an overhaul.

It does look on paper like Hearts have a capable squad if they can get themselves in order before it's too late.

I work wuth a hearts fan who shares your concern about the backroom team. As he put it, a new manager means nothing if uiuve still the ghost of Levein kicking about and his staff running the drills. They need an overhaul.

It does look on paper like Hearts have a capable squad if they can get themselves in order before it's too late.

The coaching team have been on the back of 2 failed tenures now so it’s definitely time for a change mate. I’m crossing my fingers for a new look in the dugout.

Suprised Hearts never went for Ross.

Can see this guy being put on 'gardening leave" this time next year.

Ross left Hearts under controversial circumstances previously apparently and that's why he wasn't considered. I don't now much about Stendel but I do know he took Barnsley up last season in the same league where Ross failed to do so with Sunderland.

Back