Step up Matt Polster

Tavernier on an off night still made several excellent tackles and interventions, still put a couple of terrific crosses in the box, and still played his part in beating very good European opponents.

Dropping our captain is insanity.
I linked this thread because someone suggested it in the Tav thread from tonight. This was from after the game against the poets where he struggled for about the 5th game running. I don't think he was that bad tonight although not great either. I don't think it would be a terrible idea giving him a rest for some of the smaller games though.

Tavernier on an off night still made several excellent tackles and interventions, still put a couple of terrific crosses in the box, and still played his part in beating very good European opponents.

Dropping our captain is insanity.
I was worried that his head might go down after his penalty miss but it didn't, he didn't retreat into his shell like some players might do, instead he actually puffed up his chest and had a really good game.
The sure sign of a top player and indeed a worthy captain!

Thought he had a very mixed night. He seemed to constantly do something good like win an aerial challenge or make an interception etc but then quickly follow that up by giving the ball away within the next 5 seconds.

I think the penalty miss stuck with him but as others have said he didn’t hide. A decent enough 5/10.

I’m afraid Tav is the Emperor’s new clothes in here, rational discussion isn’t tolerated and the hyperbole and personal insults are brought out.
Just to be clear I think he needs a rest and Candeias being transferred hasn’t helped.

Really? Think you need to reflect. Tav is one of our best players, if not our best player. He is our captain. He is entitled to the odd wee dip the same as any other player.

He is still producing the goods. Some people clearly know nothing about football.

Really? Think you need to reflect. Tav is one of our best players, if not our best player. He is our captain. He is entitled to the odd wee dip the same as any other player.

He is still producing the goods. Some people clearly know nothing about football.

WTF is wrong with you? I posted that three weeks ago but you're so desperate for an argument you're digging me up for it now, after last night's result?
Perverse weirdo.

He's definitely off form and I wouldn't be against him sitting out a game or 2, Polster has looked very capable. But on the other hand he's our captain and one of our 3 best/most important players so there is a "status" thing there, whether we like it or not.

I'm pretty sure the gaffer will know how to handle this one for the best, and either way the real Tav will be back soon enough.

Keep him playing. He has character and mental toughness. He will get through a loss of form.

He is not captain for nothing. Watched him yesterday afternoon at the wreath laying ceremony and i have watched him in training and he is more than a right back. Think a few in that team need him playing.

He may not be a shouter like Gough et al but he is a captain.

Whilst Tav has been below par this season he hasn't been awful by any means.

He's just too important to us and a player we must keep playing through this spell of lost form.

If any of our defenders needs dropped or given a rest i would go for Goldson, while he is having his "rest" someone should take him to the side and tell him he cant pass the ball so dont even try !

For all this off form chat we’re getting about him, can someone please point out exactly why they think he’s off form?

Is he shipping us goals? Or is it simply because folk aren’t seeing him scoring and assisting as much just now?

This has been the case with Tav since the end of his first season with his when he turned in some ridiculous stats for us and so because he’s setting such a high bar there’s folk on here who expect those numbers every season.

Let’s not forget he’s a defender first and foremost and from what I’ve seen of him his defending is just fine, particularly last night when he didn’t give their left side a sniff.

So what is it about him that’s “off form”?

He's definitely off form and I wouldn't be against him sitting out a game or 2, Polster has looked very capable. But on the other hand he's our captain and one of our 3 best/most important players so there is a "status" thing there, whether we like it or not.

I'm pretty sure the gaffer will know how to handle this one for the best, and either way the real Tav will be back soon enough.

He's the phuckin captain. You don't rest him because he's off form. Imagine trying to tell JG, Gough or Barry they were being rested.

Now a lot might not think he's a great captain. That's not the point. As long as he is out captain he starts every game.

Back