Stephen Hughes

They never played that much, malcolm averaged 10 games a season .
Ok, call it what you want, Rangers level then.
But there is a level.
Thank god we had internationals from all over the world, as Ross, Malcolm and Hughes level would not win a league.

Like that time Malcolm and Ross started in a flatback four in the CIS Cup final?

Mind the one we won 5-1 with Ross scoring a fantastic opener and if I remember correctly got man of the match.

The first year I won the BB Scottish Cross Country Championship, I was looking at all the previous winners on the trophy and there, in amongst a good few Olympians, was none other than a young Stephen Hughes, from a BB Company in Wishaw.

Was clearly a very good athlete back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that he was a decent player for us. Good passer who rarely gave the ball away and had the odd moment of outrageous skill too (remember a couple of brilliant cruyff turns at Ibrox). Think we brought Buffel and Ferguson in around the time he left so his first team opportunities were always going to be limited.

I've read about his troubles over the last few years but hopefully he is doing well now.

I appreciate it’s a stretch calling him a “legend” but if he’s only 36 is there any reason he couldn’t actually play in these games?

It seems that the guys that play really do get a lot of enjoyment out of it & help good causes along the way - might be a good thing for Stephen.

They never played that much, malcolm averaged 10 games a season .
Ok, call it what you want, Rangers level then.
But there is a level.
Thank god we had internationals from all over the world, as Ross, Malcolm and Hughes level would not win a league.

I’d argue that Maurice Ross would probably be the best RB in the league now if he was here. There was a reason the likes of West Ham and Wolves were in for him at points.

Malcolm wasn’t the most mobile but he could pass a ball and could tackle.

Hughes looked very promising but then never kicked on, iirc he got an injury and never really got back in after it

Won a league title and played in both the Champions League and UEFA Cup.

I'm sure he started agaisnt Maribor, Fenerbahce and possibly CSKA Moscow?

Neat and tidy player, good close control and could retain possession under pressure. Worse players have had a longer career.

We played Motherwell on the Saturday after the UEFA cup final, it was 1-1 and Motherwell had nothing to play for, instead of going for the win Hughes was holding the ball in the corner wasting time toward the end. There was nothing in it for them other than denying us a win and benefitting Celtic, why not just try and win the match?

Still think that was a bit of a prick move to be honest

I’d argue that Maurice Ross would probably be the best RB in the league now if he was here. There was a reason the likes of West Ham and Wolves were in for him at points.

Hughes looked very promising but then never kicked on, iirc he got an injury and never really got back in after it

Ross was one of the best players on the park in 2002 SC Final. Also had cracking games in Paris and at Parkhead that season.

We played Motherwell on the Saturday after the UEFA cup final, it was 1-1 and Motherwell had nothing to play for, instead of going for the win Hughes was holding the ball in the corner wasting time toward the end. There was nothing in it for them other than denying us a win and benefitting Celtic, why not just try and win the match?

What would your view have been on a ex-Celtc player allowing Them to regain possession and go on to score winner that helped them win the game then subsequently the League?

I've no problem with a former Rangers player, or known Rangers fan, being professional against us. It's what I would expect from them.

What would your view have been on a ex-Celtc player allowing Them to regain possession and go on to score winner that helped them win the game then subsequently the League?

I've no problem with a former Rangers player, or known Rangers fan, being professional against us. It's what I would expect from them.

Thats not my point, I didn't want him to give us possession I wanted him to try and win the game for his team, Motherwell didn't need a draw, why not try and earn a win bonus, they had nothing to play for.

I have absolutely no problem with ex players giving their all against us, this wasn't the same for me.

Thats not my point, I didn't want him to give us possession I wanted him to try and win the game for his team, Motherwell didn't need a draw, why not try and earn a win bonus, they had nothing to play for.

I have absolutely no problem with ex players giving their all against us, this wasn't the same for me.
Sorry, misunderstood your point!

That’s a very slim grudge your holding there.

Remember his debut against Hibs at Ibrox. Think it was on a Saturday night and Flo scored as well.
He had a lot of potential and should have had a much better career than he had.

Ross was one of the best players on the park in 2002 SC Final. Also had cracking games in Paris and at Parkhead that season.

Ross was a strange one. At times he looked a proper Rangers right back who would chalk up 400 appearances. Did he not get phucked about a bit by being moved to left back where he was a fish out of water.

Stephen bought a pub in Motherwell with Mo Ross when they had broken into the first team and started earning decent money.

Apparently they were never out of it.

Subsequently both their form and fitness went down the swanny. The rest is history.

Mo has spoken about how filled with regret he is over how his career ended up, think he realises how much better it could have panned out. At least he salvaged some of it abroad.

He’s from Muirhouse in Motherwell originally not sure if he still stays there or a different part of Motherwell.

He was a,member of the 19th Motherwell BB sure he played with Netherdale BC.His mum owns the flower shop just a Motherwell cross.

Ross was a strange one. At times he looked a proper Rangers right back who would chalk up 400 appearances. Did he not get phucked about a bit by being moved to left back where he was a fish out of water.
May not be popular but in my opinion McLeish shattered his nerves.
For some reason Ross was the one he chose to berate from the sidelines and he did it on regular occasion.

Stephen bought a pub in Motherwell with Mo Ross when they had broken into the first team and started earning decent money.

Apparently they were never out of it.

Subsequently both their form and fitness went down the swanny. The rest is history.

Mo has spoken about how filled with regret he is over how his career ended up, think he realises how much better it could have panned out. At least he salvaged some of it abroad.
It's a Scottish thing, make good money, buy a pub.
I'm sure Maurice bought an interest in the Wee Rangers club as well. Madness from young boys at the time.
Hughes had some memorable moments for Rangers and you cannot take that away from him.
Mo Ross had all the tools to be our RB for years.

I saw him play a few times for East Fife. Although he was carrying too much weight you could see that he was a class above any other player on the pitch when he played. When he broke into our team as a young lad he looked like he could have a great career, but injury took its toll on him. He is not the first of our young players over the years that that has happened to.

My memory of Stephen Hughes is being on the end of a shocker from van Hoydonk against Feyenoord at Ibrox. Definitely a red but the ref bottled it. The big cheat dived for and scored 2 free kicks in the return When he should have been suspende.

Quite a skilful player as I recall , did he score against Fenerbache away but we lost 2/1 ? Sadly heard he’s hit gambling issues which led to alcohol abuse and drink driving charges . I hope he is well and maybe saved some money from playing so that he doesn’t have to work in a call centre or suchlike to earn a coin .

The first year I won the BB Scottish Cross Country Championship, I was looking at all the previous winners on the trophy and there, in amongst a good few Olympians, was none other than a young Stephen Hughes, from a BB Company in Wishaw.

Was clearly a very good athlete back in the day.

Stealth post.

He looked a decent football player when he broke through. A shame he didn't go all the way. Maybe he was a victim of the unprofessionalism at our club back then and didn't receive the support he needed.

I thought after 01/02 we had our next right back for a decade with Ross.

That treble winning season, we let Vidmar go and brought in Muscat (shudder)

Muscat was first choice right back (except bizarrely Celtic games where Ross would be back in) and Ross often covered for Numan at LB if he was injured.

Following season Ricksen was back in at RB and Ross never really got a regular game again.

Based on a few people I know from Motherwell, and backed up by various incidents of drink driving and scrapping in / outside pubs.
I can back that up.If anyone ever wants a chat with him go to the Horseshoe in Motherwell where he can be found regularly.
He's a decent enough guy but it's fair to say he probably shouldn't drink

Ferguson set a bar for youth prospects (especially in that position) that he could never reach, one of those players who unfortunately broke through at the wrong time. Was one of my favourites when I first started supporting us

Football in Scotland has went down the way since then, Tavernier is better than Ross imo

No need for that. Have some respect. He did something you could only dream of.

I’ve no idea what he is up to but whatever it is I wish him all the best.
Gies a break, most of the players on were called rank after sunday from FF
There was a witch hunt for tavernier ffs
Ok , they werent of ones quality you would expect

Charlie adam was a great passer of the ball and got one hard time from the fans.
I liked charlie, intelligent player imo.
Look what he went on to do.
Bob malcolm played under 150 games in his full career.

Yeah, amazing to think he is 2 years younger than Shagger who is still the best Goalie in Scotland.

circumstances do that to certain players I suppose. What age is Kevin Thomson? Fully fit could probably cruise this league.

Charlie adam was a great passer of the ball and got one hard time from the fans.
I liked charlie, intelligent player imo.
Look what he went on to do.
Bob malcolm played under 150 games in his full career.

charlie Adam is imo a prime example of what’s wrong with our fan base.
a player with clear talent, always used in big games, thrived under PLG as well. But was hounded our the club by impatient fans. It’ll always happen now, players aren’t allowed time to progress. Especially young Scottish players

charlie Adam is imo a prime example of what’s wrong with our fan base.
a player with clear talent, always used in big games, thrived under PLG as well. But was hounded our the club by impatient fans. It’ll always happen now, players aren’t allowed time to progress. Especially young Scottish players
He didnt look the part as well, edu got a roasting as well.

Back