Stephen Hughes

circumstances do that to certain players I suppose. What age is Kevin Thomson? Fully fit could probably cruise this league.
35 Thomson is those knee injuries certainly ended his career earlier than it should’ve.

That young team he played in (the 1980-82 age group) when you look back on it, brought through a fair decent few young players who played their part here or had decent solid professional careers elsewhere:

Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Stephen Hughes, Allan McGregor, Mark Brown, Stephen Dobbie, Steven MacLean, Peter MacDonald.

My own daft wee memory of him is him becoming World Class, captaining Rangers to multiple Champions League and trebles before retiring to become Manager of Cowdenbeath.

CM03/04, what a game that was!

I can back that up.If anyone ever wants a chat with him go to the Horseshoe in Motherwell where he can be found regularly.
He's a decent enough guy but it's fair to say he probably shouldn't drink
Seen him in there recently, thought my eyes were decieving me!

I find that hard to believe but then again what about Sandy Robertson. Looked about 12 years old but got done for assaulting door staff.
Remember reading that and thought what a guy. Remember the story reported that Robertson was steaming and saying ‘big man’s ma pal’....then the bouncers chucked him down a flight of stairs. Wee Sandy got back up and battered them. Could imagine ars3hole bouncers doing that so fair play wee man, must have been a good fighter. Wonder what happened to him?

Ross was one of the best players on the park in 2002 SC Final. Also had cracking games in Paris and at Parkhead that season.
At the time Ross broke through I wondered if he might be captain one day; sadly, for him, it wasn't to be but him, Malcolm, and Hughes could all be good players on their day.

Back