Stephen Kelly of Ayr United

Did you see Doc's performance for Hibs v Hearts at Easter Rd?

He never got a kick against the Hearts midfield, so god knows how he'd have done at Tynecastle.

Everyone can have a bad game, but if the likes of Docherty, Murphy and Jones amongst others can’t do a job in a superior Rangers team at home to the likes of St Mirren, Accies, Ross County or whoever when we can rotate they really should consider taking up a new career.

Everyone can have a bad game, but if the likes of Docherty, Murphy and Jones amongst others can’t do a job in a superior Rangers team at home to the likes of St Mirren, Accies, Ross County or whoever when we can rotate they really should consider taking up a new career.

Don't know about you mate, but I class Murphy as a far higher class of player than Doc or Jones.

I think there’s a chance Murphy might get another crack at it this season. Murphy gives you 10 goals a season easily I think.

Not necessarily as a first pick, but certainly as a squad member.

I’ve always been an admirer of Kelly and often praised him on these forums. He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Barry Ferguson in a long time.
hopefully he gets a chance.
His technique is brilliant, he receives the ball well, can pass, can score and his Free kicks are superb too.

Well done but I suspect he’ll be away on loan again as he isn’t close to being good enough for game time for us IMO
How much of him have you seen?

I'll be honest, I have watched one game where he played in the youth cup. You may have watched him more, but I am confident in saying the majority on here will have seen him no more than 2 or 3 times. Is he ready and good enough? No idea, only the coaching staff can judge that.

Maybe it would be a good thing for him to be in the squad this season. With games behind closed doors, no groaning when he does wrong can only help him and other youngsters this season surely.

If there’s a position to trust the managers judgement then it’s central midfield. He’ll know when a player is ready and if he’s good enough.

We all love to see home grown talent in the first team, but the reality is that very few are actually good enough. We kid ourselves on by saying they surely can’t be any worse than x or y player when in fact they most likely are.

If, as you suggest, the reason for the lack of home-grown talent making its way into the Rangers first team squad is because '...the reality is that very few are actually good enough...', then either:

(a) the coaching staff aren't doing their job, or

(b) there is really no point in ploughing money into a youth development system.

TBF people much more qualified than us have decided he would be better served going out and playing a full season of 1st team football rather than hanging about and playing a couple of games tops here.

just about to post this
Polster, Flanagan, King barely played
Ojo was in and out
Ejaria wasn't a definite starter and left at halfway

Kelly managed to play a lot in a competitive league

In terms of physicality, if he was able to thrive in the Championship with Ayr, then I have no doubt he could cope with the Premier. I am sure that league is not all silky football with no hammer throwers!

Don't know about you mate, but I class Murphy as a far higher class of player than Doc or Jones.

100% but regardless of ability they’re both currently in the position of fringe player and must surely be able to do a job against half the teams in this league when rotated in?

100% but regardless of ability they’re both currently in the position of fringe player and must surely be able to do a job against half the teams in this league when rotated in?

I'm not convinced either of them have the technical ability to break down the deep lying defensive teams we meet most weeks mate.

Both prefer space in front of them to attack on the counter.

Great Stephen was appreciated at Ayr.I for one don't know the youth we have that can make their mark and take someone's jersey for their own.Who may or May not be in S.G plans know doubt depends on how much we have to spend in transfer market

Back