Stephen Kelly of Ayr United

Well done to the young lad.

You just wish he was given a chance.

Wider point, giving money and time to journeyman like Polster, Flanno, Ejaria, Andy King, Ojo etc over guys we have in the academy is so disheartening.

Why "trust" players like the aforementioned over a young player? Fear, probably, but you have to be braver than that. Give them a chance.

Wider point, giving money and time to journeyman like Polster, Flanno, Ejaria, Andy King, Ojo etc over guys we have in the academy is so disheartening.

Why "trust" players like the aforementioned over a young player? Fear, probably, but you have to be braver than that. Give them a chance.
Don’t think the term ‘journeyman’ is fair on any of those mentioned considering not many of them are actually journeymen.

He may still get that chance mate.... if he's good enough

TBF people much more qualified than us have decided he would be better served going out and playing a full season of 1st team football rather than hanging about and playing a couple of games tops here.

He’ll be lucky to get 3 games under Gerrard, you can argue the rights or wrongs of that but it’s the truth

I imagine we’ll be looking at a higher quality loan move next then he’ll probably move elsewhere.
Is that because Gerrard is sabotaging his own management career by not playing a player who has done massively well at Ayr United in the second tier or, because said player hasn’t demonstrated that he is a better player than others available for selection?

I

Woukdnt always agree with this, but in this case I see what you mean. All of the above had good and bad games, it would have been better for him to experience that. If young fans make mistakes we will be more understanding, it's harder to watch young players who wont be here next year make mistakes.

He’ll be lucky to get 3 games under Gerrard, you can argue the rights or wrongs of that but it’s the truth.

I imagine we’ll be looking at a higher quality loan move next then he’ll probably move elsewhere.
Gerrard is a big fan of him. Gerrard also needs to put the best team out he can so I understand the fear of playing a youth player. If we had a league win under our belt we would have some breathing space.

Well done to the lad.

I'm sure I read or heard something in the past week that not one player under 21 years of age started a league game for us last season. We really do not give our own youngsters a chance.

I know it goes back more that 20 years but on one of the Heart and Hand pods that I listened to last week it was mentioned that Barry Ferguson had to be persuaded by John Brown not to walk out on the club because he was simply frustrated at not being given a chance by Walter. A few months later Advocaat walks in the door and imnediately gives Barry a place in starting 11 and the rest is history. We really need to start trusting in our youngsters a little more, surely they are not all duds.

Will be interesting to see what the plan for him is for the next season.
I would rather he was playing games than sitting on our bench or in the reserves so he might end up getting a premiership team to go on loan to for six months to improve his development further.
I definitely hope he’s given a chance though as I think Gerrard rates him.

Great experience for him and great to see him won the award. He'll head into pre season full of confidence

Keep loaning him out and let him play every week if hes close to the squad but just bot ready, thats what they did with christie for about 3/4 years and now hes prob up there with their best player

Is that because Gerrard is sabotaging his own management career by not playing a player who has done massively well at Ayr United in the second tier or, because said player hasn’t demonstrated that he is a better player than others available for selection?

No, not at all.

He’s just very risk-averse and clearly doesn’t think the youngsters are up to much at this point - Flanagan over Patterson at home to St Mirren for example.

He’s not the first manager to work it that way, won’t be the last. I’m not sure how I feel about it, but Ibrox absolutely isn’t the place for youngsters.

I see him out riding his bike regular and I struggle to believe hes a footballer.

I know looks can be decieveing but he genuinely looks like a wee boy

He may well get his chance with us now due to that loan spell at Ayr, getting game experience, doing well and toughening up. We will know soon enough I suppose but he is at an age where he will either be involved with the 1st team squad or released.

Good luck to the lad.

He may well get his chance with us now due to that loan spell at Ayr, getting game experience, doing well and toughening up. We will know soon enough I suppose but he is at an age where he will either be involved with the 1st team squad or released.

Good luck to the lad.

Just like Greg Docherty

He did really well this season and will be part of 1st team squad next, he's well thought of by manager and his coaches, they also like his attitude for wanting to go on loan rather than playing under age games and he's good with dead balls which helps (another body puting corners in is always good)

Gerrard is a big fan of him. Gerrard also needs to put the best team out he can so I understand the fear of playing a youth player. If we had a league win under our belt we would have some breathing space.
Gerrard will look at him in pre season and then decide imo if he's showing up well them he'll be included Gerrard seems to like him by all accounts. You can see why as he's not a kick and rush midfield good technical ability and passer of the ball. If he's not quite ready a good spl loan wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Livingston as we seem to have a good relationship with them regarding loans. If we're getting rid of a few midfielders like docherty Kamara possibly Mccrorie then he could well be included

Have seen him a good few times now i really think he would give us something different from our current midfielders he is a lovely footballer with great vision and understanding but i dont see him getting the opportunity here tbh as well the evidence suggests not many are .

Hopefully he will be around the first team this year. About time we give young players a proper chance to cement themselves into our squad at least

Well done to him, he should be in the squad next season but in reality next season is not for young un tested players. Can dee another loan for game time.

I reckon he will be given a chance this pre season, and if he shows what he is capable of, he will be in the squad for next season.

I agree with people when they comment that he is 20 year old, so should be ready. However, I recently read Peter Crouch’s book and he stated he wasn’t ready for the EPL until he was 23. You. Oils compare that to Christie at the Tims, who is one of the top players in our league (without my blue specs on) .

Because the gaffer doesn't think he's ready for first-team football. Simple as that.

If there’s a position to trust the managers judgement then it’s central midfield. He’ll know when a player is ready and if he’s good enough.

We all love to see home grown talent in the first team, but the reality is that very few are actually good enough. We kid ourselves on by saying they surely can’t be any worse than x or y player when in fact they most likely are.

Said it for the past year or so that he is our best young player.

He is 20 now so getting near now or never.
If he doesn’t make the squad this coming season,and SG brings in another useless loaner,I for one will be calling for answers why.
Same may be said for a few other youngsters.
Kelly,in my opinion should be the one to take over from Steven Davis,I think he is that good.

Because the gaffer doesn't think he's ready for first-team football. Simple as that.

However, the likes of Ojo, Ejara and Polster are. Who have never stablished themselves in a decent European side.

And I am a Gerrard fan, but he needs to get rid of these weaklings and give the likes of Kelly a chance.

Don’t want him to go on loan, I’d prefer him to be given a chance at Ibrox, at his age now is the time. If he can’t make the step up I’ll wish him well and we both can move on.

Back