Stephen Kelly of Ayr United

No, not at all.

He’s just very risk-averse and clearly doesn’t think the youngsters are up to much at this point - Flanagan over Patterson at home to St Mirren for example.

He’s not the first manager to work it that way, won’t be the last. I’m not sure how I feel about it, but Ibrox absolutely isn’t the place for youngsters.
I can only guess where you’re coming from here and, if I’m correct, I’d agree with you.
However, we’ve got to find a way.
Perhaps once we enjoy some success it’ll ease the pressure and facilitate their Inclusion.

That leads to the brutal question of him being thought to be good enough.
What a load of pish, players develop at different rates, kelly biggest detriment has always been his physique and he's starting to fill out a wee bit now.
As far as football terms he's miles better than Ryan Jack is technically speaking boy has a massive ceiling whether he reaches his potential at us remains to be seen

The idea that the fact he is 20 automatically means he should be involved is ridiculous. I'm a big fan of the lad but he was physically miles off it which was a huge part of him going out to develop at Ayr. He's still got a bit of maturing to do in that regard but fingers crossed he does as technically his ability is not in doubt.

Well done Stephen! Would love to see him involved in the next 12-18 months, only watched him in the flesh on a couple of occasions but he really looked the part.

Gerrard is a big fan of him. Gerrard also needs to put the best team out he can so I understand the fear of playing a youth player. If we had a league win under our belt we would have some breathing space.
This. SG can't risk kids just now. Too much at stake. Unfortunate but that's the way it is.

What a load of pish, players develop at different rates, kelly biggest detriment has always been his physique and he's starting to fill out a wee bit now.
As far as football terms he's miles better than Ryan Jack is technically speaking boy has a massive ceiling whether he reaches his potential at us remains to be seen
He’s twenty years old and, to play for Rangers, he’ll need to have the whole package which includes being good enough technically AND strong enough physically.
One without the other doesn’t often work in Scottish football.
That isn’t the players fault, it’s a definite sleight on our football and footballing priorities.
Still think my view is pish?

He’s twenty years old and, to play for Rangers, he’ll need to have the whole package which includes being good enough technically AND strong enough physically.
One without the other doesn’t often work in Scottish football.
That isn’t the players fault, it’s a definite sleight on our football and footballing priorities.
Still think my view is pish?

I do indeed sir

I'd get him loaned out to a SPFL club until January then review it.Motherwell or the like.That would hopefully get him playing week in week out and would do him more good than getting 20/25 minutes here or there for us imo.

He doesn’t have to have massive shoulders and huge thighs to get by. Strength and huge muscles are not mutually exclusive.

If physique is a problem at the moment, and he is hungry enough, then he will be in the gym/ home work out, working on his core, balance and power. We certainly have facilities at the club to help him do that.

He doesn’t have to have massive shoulders and huge thighs to get by. Strength and huge muscles are not mutually exclusive.

If physique is a problem at the moment, and he is hungry enough, then he will be in the gym/ home work out, working on his core, balance and power. We certainly have facilities at the club to help him do that.
There are loads of examples of players with a slight build being successful in this country in recent years. Sadly those all played for Celtic. Tierney, Armstrong, Forrest, even McGregor are hardly muscle bound. The boy has played for Rangers kids for a long time, he's used to being kicked about. The same would have happened in the Championship where he had been a success. If he has the technical ability, his frame should not hold him back now. Also, I do know he's spent a lot of time in the gym in the last year or so.

Well done but I suspect he’ll be away on loan again as he isn’t close to being good enough for game time for us IMO

There are loads of examples of players with a slight build being successful in this country in recent years. Sadly those all played for Celtic. Tierney, Armstrong, Forrest, even McGregor are hardly muscle bound. The boy has played for Rangers kids for a long time, he's used to being kicked about. The same would have happened in the Championship where he had been a success. If he has the technical ability, his frame should not hold him back now. Also, I do know he's spent a lot of time in the gym in the last year or so.
Tierney, Armstrong forrest and mcgregor are all a good bit bigger and more filled out than Kelly and hae been for years.

Tierney, Armstrong forrest and mcgregor are all a good bit bigger and more filled out than Kelly and hae been for years.
I think you need to look at an up to date picture of Kelly. He's bigger and stronger than Tierney is now.

Well done to him. Good enough to make it at Rangers?
hOjjhlv.gif

He’s not a patch on Ryan Jack ,
Jacks been one of our best performers since he signed.

Kelly May or May not make it the next 12- q8 months will make or break him .

For me Ryan Jack is ok, I would have him in the squad, he keeps the ball well and can read a game, but he’s not going to run the midfield or dictate play. Ultimately for me, he’s too slow and can be got at by SPL level players, as he ain’t that much better than other midfielders in the league.

Assuming there are no major marquee signings about to take place, Ryan Jack is our midfield anchorman. If we intend to go with a front 3 - Kent, Morelos, Hagi - and Aribo playing off them we will need a second anchorman to protect the back 4, particularly with our attacking full-backs. Who would it be? Not Kamara. Not Arfield. Is it Ross McCrorie?

This. SG can't risk kids just now. Too much at stake. Unfortunate but that's the way it is.
He can risk Barker though? SG needs to be brave and stop being so conservative. Bold and brave and lack of fear is what we need.

jack has dodgy knees though and can't hack a full season.

Didn't say he was better, said he was better technically which he is, there's a difference
Not a knock on Jack been 1 of our best players this season

He can risk Barker though? SG needs to be brave and stop being so conservative. Bold and brave and lack of fear is what we need.

jack has dodgy knees though and can't hack a full season.

His still on a different planet currently from Kelly .

For me Ryan Jack is ok, I would have him in the squad, he keeps the ball well and can read a game, but he’s not going to run the midfield or dictate play. Ultimately for me, he’s too slow and can be got at by SPL level players, as he ain’t that much better than other midfielders in the league.

He’s our best CM so what does that say for the rest of them then.

His still on a different planet currently from Kelly .
Jack can't play a full season so must be rotated and Barker is afraid of his own shadow. Will do no harm to have Kelly, Patterson and Kennedy in and around the squad.

Steve Davis is not only our best midfielder but the best in the country. Like Jack he too has been over played and can't last a full season so must be rotated.

We need other options and if that means leaving a space for Kelly in the squad instead of the squad fillers that offer nothing then that's a good thing.

Boy that spent a season at Ayr and is still developing is better than a current international and our best midfielder - some of the absolute shite you read on here at times leaves me speechless
Said Kelly is better technically, as in he has more technical ability never said he was better than Ryan Jack lol
Point I was making is people are doubting whether the boy is good enough he has the technical ability to make it here but he's still raw and learning the game, I think the boy will make it but we'll have to see

This is a tricky one for the coming season tbh. I for one, would not have been risking promoted youth players when the mhanks are going for their version of "10"* as the pressure would be enormous on him.

However, this is also now looking like an ideal time to possibly give some promising youth a chance, as the likelihood is that a portion of the season will be behind closed doors, so the pressure from the stands is eased right from the off.

I hope SG comes up with the right answer whichever way he goes.

The only chance the lad has or any other youngsters is possibly the fact we will be playing games with no fans. This could help them settle in with less pressure on the shoulders. Next season is massive and every misplaced pass or mistake will be met with derision, and I mean by us and them as they are desperate to claim what they think is 10

Steve Davis is not only our best midfielder but the best in the country. Like Jack he too has been over played and can't last a full season so must be rotated.

We need other options and if that means leaving a space for Kelly in the squad instead of the squad fillers that offer nothing then that's a good thing.

I am not against Kelly getting a chance at all I hope he comes in and is a standout .

I’ve said it before on here about Kelly that he reminds me so much of Paul Scholes. I’m not comparing ability of course before folk start but it’s his technique and style on the ball. Even his gait is similar.

I’m a huge fan of the boy and I hope he makes it with us. The thing in his favour also is Gerrard absolutely loves him too.

I hope Gerrard give's our own youngsters a chance this season instead of Liverpool on loan reserve/ youth players. One of the biggest mistake's of last season was putting McCrorie and Docherty out on loan for me. I think both players would have played regularly especially after the winter break and given us more strength in Midfield for tough battle's at Tynecastle etc where we lost to the team at the bottom of the league again.

People on here really don't understand football at all, Ryan Jack is a better player for Rangers than the likes of Kamara but make no mistake about it Kamara is a better footballer than Jack and could and will play at a higher level. Ryan Jack is one of the types who snobs on here stick there noses up at, we need jacks, lewis ferguson types to compliment players like hagi, aribo etc

The pressure on Gerrard this season will make it difficult to blood Kelly. I’d like him to go out on loan to a team in this league or a league that will really stretch him. Wishful thinking on my part as unless it’s an EPL academy player I can’t see anyone taking a chance.

I like Jack, I guess what I am trying to say is he we need a higher standard of player in beside him. He’s an honest player, who has a calmness on the ball, but he’s not the man to lead us to the title. Davis I have the up most respect for, but again, at his age I think it’s evident he’s not going to be able to do it week in week out now.

Aribo and Kamara have more ability than Jack, but need to step up in terms of mentality and will to win.

Again, I haven’t seen much of Kelly, but he strikes me as someone who plays on the front foot, very direct and picks a forward pass instead of a side ways pass and can score a goal. I hope he is ready as that is something we could be doing with. However, it goes without saying that I am not saying Kelly is the man to drive us to the title.

I think you need to look at an up to date picture of Kelly. He's bigger and stronger than Tierney is now.

If he is, then he's certainly filled out a lot, which is great to hear.

Tierney has very good upper body strength.

I believe Kelly is as good technically as any youngster. My only concern is he appears really quiet on the pitch would love him to have more swagger and belief as the talent is there.

I hope Gerrard give's our own youngsters a chance this season instead of Liverpool on loan reserve/ youth players. One of the biggest mistake's of last season was putting McCrorie and Docherty out on loan for me. I think both players would have played regularly especially after the winter break and given us more strength in Midfield for tough battle's at Tynecastle etc where we lost to the team at the bottom of the league again.
If only Gerrard had thought of that!

Did you see Doc's performance for Hibs v Hearts at Easter Rd?

He never got a kick against the Hearts midfield, so god knows how he'd have done at Tynecastle.

Back