Stephen Kelly

Watched the kid at Lesser Hampden under Murty in the youths and he was a cut above the rest. Mulholland was there that day and u could tell how highly the wee man is rated by the club.

He’s played the full 90 in their last 3 games and has two assists in that period. Bizarrely Transfermarkt had him playing DM in the last two of those matches rather than CM. No idea if that’s the case or not, given those are the two games he got the assists in.

Was thinking about him today wondering where he was and how he was doing, mainly because he is a mainstay in my FM Rangers team,lol.

He’s played the full 90 in their last 3 games and has two assists in that period. Bizarrely Transfermarkt had him playing DM in the last two of those matches rather than CM. No idea if that’s the case or not, given those are the two games he got the assists in.
Plays as their deepest midfielder. Almost like a Davis type role from what I’ve seen

Plays as their deepest midfielder. Almost like a Davis type role from what I’ve seen
I was paying some attention to the highlights and got the same impression - deepest midfielder and not dissimilar to the Davis role as we know it .

he has some real quality - SG said a couple of years ago it was all about SKs physical development because the technical was not a question for him .

in terms of actual fitness and condition SK rated very highly in the pre-season numbers so it is more the actual body and presence physical conditioning we are speaking about I think .

I don't envy our youth players at the moment.

Let's be honest, they would need to be standing out like Barry Ferguson did when breaking through to make a real go of it in our first team squad.

Watched the kid at Lesser Hampden under Murty in the youths and he was a cut above the rest. Mulholland was there that day and u could tell how highly the wee man is rated by the club.

Think he was one of the first young players to sign a new contract under Gerrard

I don't envy our youth players at the moment.

Let's be honest, they would need to be standing out like Barry Ferguson did when breaking through to make a real go of it in our first team squad.

That's really where we want to be, though.

I think Kelly, Mayo, Kennedy and McPake have a chance, but it's very unlikely all four will make it as first team squad members for us. I'd argue they all have another season after this one to develop before a real decision has to be made.

Great to read he's doing well. His playing style really suits Gerrard's set up. He's good technically and knows how to look after the ball; you could easily imagine him linking up with Jack, Davis and Kamara.
When he first broke through I had him as a 10 but he’s a proper B2B, even a DLP. The fact he’s 20 & has shown a range of roles is positive.

Boys in Dingwall are raving about him now, I had a wedding there the day before we play them but can’t go now.

(I know Kelly couldn’t play but you get my point).

Kelly has only started 2 out of last 4 fixtures ?

Since joing County on loan he has dropped into a deep lying playermaker role. He has absolutely wonderful close control and technique. He has a fantastic range of passing and seems to have a decent reading of the game. For the way we currently play, he is perfect for one of those CDM roles. I doubt it will be next season (unless we lose Jack, Kamara and Davis all in one go) but in 2022 if he continues developing as is he will be one our 4 cdms.

Definitely has a current Steven Davis play style, with more pace and legs.

I only saw the last 10 minutes so only noticed him once, with a good interception.

Hooefully the first of many victories for him there

Jordan Campbell paying tribute to him on Twitter. Seems to have had a really good game. Didn’t see the game myself.

Thought he was very neat and tidy from what I saw. Composed on the ball and did his job well in the defensive formation. Would like to see how he fared playing alongside better players, has potential for sure.
I'd like to see him play against better players tbf. He needs to be ready for Champions league teams not bottom of Europa league group losers.

Going to be very hard to break into our midfield but Kelly definitely has a chance over the next few seasons.

Stick in there young man.

Back