Stephen Kelly

bearsmarsbars

What will we do with him? Looks like he could comfortably be a first team player this season but there's a lot of competition in midfield. If we sign someone like Veerman on top of that it will make it even harder for him to get a lot of games.

Should we loan him out to get regular game time for a season with a view to next, or keep him in the squad and give him what we can here and there?

Looks a player and he’s staunch

Some people reckon sending our best prospects to Dunfermline is a great move so maybe that is an option

Think he needs to stay around this season. He is really good and will learn more now training with the first team. We need homegrown players in Europe and he can be one of them.
Tough one. He stays and learns so much from the coaching team as well as Davis and Arfield.
The downside is he doesn’t get the game time he needs at that age.
he’s looked assured in the friendlies so far, I trust Gerrard to know what’s best for the lad.

Imo we need to keep him in the squad this season , he could easily be an option for us in some of the league games and in europe as a homegrown player , hes a good young player

I think he should stay with the first team. He made the best out of his two loans, was complimented by both loan managers, has busted a gut every time he has been on the park in pre-season and has shown a great attitude, great work rate and good ability every time he has had an opportunity so he deserves a chance to prove himself. It will also be another good example to other academy players/potential youth recruits that yes there is a route to the first team.

Last edited:
Tough one. He stays and learns so much from the coaching team as well as Davis and Arfield.
The downside is he doesn’t get the game time he needs at that age.
he’s looked assured in the friendlies so far, I trust Gerrard to know what’s best for the lad.
I agree, tough. Love the look of the lad. Think he should stay but I’m worried he won’t get the minutes. Patterson, Kelly… the future looks good.

Time for him to fight for a place I think he’s not going to learn anything out on loan imo.

Still 5 subs this season I think? He’ll see plenty game time if he keeps the performances up.

Think he needs to stay around this season. He is really good and will learn more now training with the first team. We need homegrown players in Europe and he can be one of them.
This for me. Jack & Arfield don't have a great injury record, but think Arfield in particular gets underrated a lot. Point being, Kelly has shown more than enough to be able to fit into the team, and not just making up the numbers, actually a player who can be in the right place, pick a pass..Davis not getting any younger..

We talk about pre-season being an opportunity to catch the managers eye. He's caught everyone's eye!!

It’s only a pre season game and it will be much different most weeks playing against Scottish opponents but he was very accomplished today and he has the experience of top flight Scottish games. I’d keep him and get him game time in games we have wrapped up early on.

Started a post on him before. Lad played very well again today. He is going NOWHERE on loan.
Brilliant to have in the squad/on the bench to give Davis a rest.

Jack Davis Kamara/Veerman
Lundstram Kelly Aribo

Happy to start the season with these 6 vying for 3 places

Should stay this window and feature in the first team.

Especially since Ofoborh doesn't look likely to feature until his issues are hopefully resolved.

He is absolutely a first team player and must stay with them this season. No point in loaning him out again at this stage. If we want more success this season then we need to utilise the squad more and that's why Kelly and Patterson will still get plenty of game time this season.

Also Kelly will be able to provide the dependable cover should either Arfield or Jack (or both) get injured again.

I'd rather keep him. He'll get minutes through injuries and suspensions, then its up to him to stake his claim in the first team

I’d like to see him stay with the first team. We’ve heard a lot about player sales being used to keep us healthy financially, producing our own players would obviously help with that as well

He’s very close to being ready. Couple moments where he couldve opened the game. Still safety first. Gerrard had his arm round him at full time gesturing at various points on the pitch.

We've got another 2 gears to go yet, and once we see him at that level he will be frightening. Looked really class since returning.

Has looked good, albeit it’s hard to properly assess things in pre season.

I have a feeling we will keep him around for the CL qualifiers as we are a bit light in that area, then send him out on loan again, either to another premier league team or an English championship side, get him more game time

It's a predicament but a good one as IMO he's been our most consistent player in pre season games.

Back