Stephen Kelly

He's almost in the two good to loan category now. He should be in our matchday squads and get a few games under his belt in the coming season.

We shouldn't be loaning players this good out - there has always got to be a path to first team football and he looks like he should now be taking that path.

I would love him to stay and fight for his place but of he's going to be on the bench maybe a 6 month loan to the likes of St Johnstone could benefit him

I feel bad for the kid as his name makes me cringe.

Had a boss with the same name that was an absolute fanny and get flashbacks of that wank when I see the name.

Time for Stephen to become a legend and wipe that memory for me.

I agree, tough. Love the look of the lad. Think he should stay but I’m worried he won’t get the minutes. Patterson, Kelly… the future looks good.
He has had 62 senior games in the last two seasons so it's not like he has no competitive experience. He has already proven himself capable at SPL level last season so now his challenge is to step up from SPL level to Rangers level.

As others have already said I don't think he has anything to learn by going out on loan to another SPL team and I would have no worries about him deputising for our senior midfielders.

I think he has to stay and get some gametime. He is clearly ready to be a part of the 25 man squad.

Depending what happens with Kelly could have a large baring on how our youth see their future here.

If Kelly stays and establishes himself as one of our midfield rotation, then it sends a massive message to the young players. Go out develop, impress and take your chance and we'll give you a shot.

If we block Kelly's pathway and send him out on another loan, then it sends the opposite message. Due to Brexit English clubs will be targeting Scottish youngsters more than ever before. If we aren't showing a pathway, then many of our promising players might think twice about deals with us. Why sign a new deal here, when you could get more than double in England and get the same level of opportunity.

I know people will point to Patterson but if we are being honest, he is a bit of an anomaly. He's over 6" foot and rapid, genetically he was always in with a chance. Kelly on the other hand is the opposite a slight technical player, who's worked his way up the loans and has impressed when given a chance in preseason.

Needs to stay. Midfield is an area we can manage game time through the season and get guys playing minutes.

Actually thought when Arfield went off today Kelly stepped up and looked dynamite.

I think he will find his role and learn far more in and around our midfielders.

Keep him for the euro qualifiers (not all of the first team squad can be registered) then reassess towards the end of the window.

Kelly would get much more game time by going back out on loan but what price to work every day with the old maestro Davis? (and the Gaffer obviously), he won't get that anywhere else. He's shown he can play SPFL level, time to start integrating him into the first team.

Good to see a Port Glasgow boy involved with the first team squad, he played well today looks to be a very good prospect.

1 more loan at a good level in England i would be looking for. Championship or a team challenging for L1. A team dominating the ball.

He'll come back next season and slot in where David and Arfield were. I reckon we'll get 1 more year out of them and that will be it.

Keep him at Ibrox and give him as many minutes as we can afford. The lad has done his apprenticeship, time be be a part of the top team now.
I've not read the rest of the thread but this is the right answer.

I was going through the big pile of papers on my desk the other day - the usual bank statements, old leccy bills etc, and came across boarding cards from Aug 2019 when I went to Dundee for a weekend to see my Kiwi 'friend' who was working on a project at the Uni of Pehs.

I watched Dundee vs Ayr U and Kelly played pretty well. You could see he was comfortable on the ball but was a bit hesitant when he wasn't in possession and a couple of times he was bypassed in midfield as he wasn't reading the game well.

Two years on and you can see the difference and the value of his apprenticeship. Today he was comfortable on the ball (again) made some telling passes going forward (again) but what stood out was him anticipating where the ball would be defensively and putting himself in the way of it - as a good midfielder should.

We have to keep him at Ibrox. Our coaching is the best in Scotland and Kelly playing with players of equal or greater ability will bring him on much more than another loan.

He's ready for us.

We've got a lot of games to play this season, especially if we manage to make Champions League.
Keep him, he's ready to play.
As I said in match thread, I really like the look of the boy

He was impressive today, yet again.

I don’t know what we do with the lad because at his age he needs to be playing football and I’m not sure he’s going to get that just now with Aribo, Davis, Kamara, Lundstram, Arfield, Jack to come back?

Maybe a 6 month loan deal and reassess in January... I really like him
If we're loaning him out I'd love us to get him a loan in Belgium or Holland if it was possible and there were teams interested as he's done the Scottish loans I think a technical league would really tidy up some of the rough edges I his game. Having said that I'd be more than happy if Gerrard said he's part of the squad this season

Keep him at Ibrox and give him as many minutes as we can afford. The lad has done his apprenticeship, time be be a part of the top team now.
This is the correct answer, training and playing with the best players and coaching staff in the country. The boys a player, let's get him in our squad on a regular basis.

Liked what I seen, didn't look out of place at all. I'd say keep him let him get experience from Davis and the like.

On a point that some may jump on... BEST think to come out 'the port' in a long time

He did well today, I'm hoping he stays with the squad this season as he will only improve. Couple of nice incisive forward through balls he tried today.

I would like to think that Steve Davis would take young Kelly under his wing this season. Because from what I have seen of the boy I think he could be the natural successor to the Ulsterman.

Thought he was MOTM tonight, second half especially he was the stand out

Looks a player but might struggle to get enough mins with the amount of competition we have at CM

Think he needs to stay around this season. He is really good and will learn more now training with the first team. We need homegrown players in Europe and he can be one of them.
It’s how many are in front of him now.
When does he become the guy to fall back on?
Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Jack and Lundstram are ahead of him, for sure.
That’s before Veerman comes in!
What’s our first pick midfield?
If I was picking the team today and all were fit, I’d be going for Lundstram, Davis, Kamara.
If Lundstram doesn’t make a game, I’d pick Jack.
Arfield for Kamara and if Steve Davis can’t make it, my pick would be Kelly.

Davis is not going to play every game
This lad is easily good enough as a deputy in easier games.
For me, happy if he gets 10-15 starts this season

Agreed. He didnt play like a youth player making the step up today, played like a first team player. Strolled the game, always willing to receive a pass, good range of passing as well.

Reminds me of Davis the way he supports his team mates by always being available. Was great to see him directing the play around him as well.

This boy is going to get better. I want him in the first team squad now. At first he will probably get sub appearances but he will be ready if we need him.

Would be going nowhere if it were up to me.

The kid has talent and a willingness to improve in spades.

15/20 games this season with these players will do him wonders.
That’s a great point.
The onfield coaching from the experienced guys will progress Kelly always as much as what he’s learning on the training pitches.

I'd have him around the squad this season. Would have no issues with him playing a premiership tie in order to rest Davis for an upcoming CL game etc

He looked comfortable and composed today against an Epl side albeit a pre season game

I really rate him. Imo he's more than capable to be Davis' successor.

I wouldn't feel uneasy if he started against Malmo or Livi.

If we manage to qualify for the CL group stages (or even the EL group stages) then we are going to have a lot of games before Xmas.
Depending on who we are playingin the league prior to European games, if we are in front in those games after 60 mins I'd be taking Davis off and keeping him fresh for Europe and replacing him with Kelly, who is essentially a younger version of Davis.

Think he needs to stay around this season. He is really good and will learn more now training with the first team. We need homegrown players in Europe and he can be one of them.

this could be the best move for him - this seasons Patterson if you will, training with the first team, on bench now and then and getting minutes at Ibrox etc.

He should be starting 10-15 games this season , he’s good enough easily for that … looks he has ability to be Davis long term replacement

With the midfield as it stands, I’d be happy for him to be part of the squad this season, would see enough minutes.

If we sign a Veerman or similar and nobody leaves, reckon he’d be better served spending another season out on loan.

Back