Stephen Kelly

What will we do with him? Looks like he could comfortably be a first team player this season but there's a lot of competition in midfield. If we sign someone like Veerman on top of that it will make it even harder for him to get a lot of games.

Should we loan him out to get regular game time for a season with a view to next, or keep him in the squad and give him what we can here and there?
Still questions being asked of this young man.Why on earth would we want to loan him out again ?:rolleyes:

He did not look out of place today and was in fact hugely impressive. Definitely ready now to be a squad player for us this season imo.

What will we do with him? Looks like he could comfortably be a first team player this season but there's a lot of competition in midfield. If we sign someone like Veerman on top of that it will make it even harder for him to get a lot of games.

Should we loan him out to get regular game time for a season with a view to next, or keep him in the squad and give him what we can here and there?
The boy is ready IMHO. First team squad player for this season and can take SD's place in lesser games, but I'd be comfortable with him in any game.

This for me. Jack & Arfield don't have a great injury record, but think Arfield in particular gets underrated a lot. Point being, Kelly has shown more than enough to be able to fit into the team, and not just making up the numbers, actually a player who can be in the right place, pick a pass..Davis not getting any younger..

We talk about pre-season being an opportunity to catch the managers eye. He's caught everyone's eye!!
Agreed sometimes you need to take a chance on a kid and if you have one with such a good attitude that he obviously had then why not.

I’d keep him in the squad this season

Feel he’s a decent squad player and I thought he was good today

He’s defo got potential and if he’s patient he may be a good option. He definitely doesn’t lack confidence

The boys got it, it’s a gut feeling. Just like Paterson first time I saw him. However, both have exact same challenge. No pathway to first team.
Of course there’s a pathway, it’s just not an easy one.

The fact Gerard has dabbled with changing formations last week shows how much he rates Patterson, and playing Kelly pre season shows there is.

It’s just not easy……and neither should it be.

He’s certainly shown he deserves to be around the first team this season, Id love to see him stay and try to stake a claim for a place in the team

The fact Gerard has dabbled with changing formations last week shows how much he rates Patterson, and playing Kelly pre season shows there is.

It’s just not easy……and neither should it be

Torn on Kelly. On one hand hes certainly good enough to be in the first team squad. On the other, hes likely not going to be one of the starting 3 midfielders. In which case, is he better on loan to get game time, or developing in training. For me theres no substitute for competitve matches so i reckon a 6 month loan to a Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen would be ideal

Timing is crucial too, when their LB broke through, there was no one in his way. Both Paterson and Kelly have huge obstacles n front of them. TBH I don’t know the answer, I just fear they will drift away.

Keep him in the squad, we'll inevitably have injuries and he can play the cup games etc.

Especially given Ryan Jack's injury history as well.

Hadn't seen much of Kelly before pre-season, but he's been really impressive. Composed on the ball, quick feet, can pick a pass. He's young and needs to fill out a bit, but as we've seen with Scott Wright, I think he'd be better working with our strength and conditioning coaches than going out on loan. Fantastic to see him and Nathan Patterson doing so well.

Sorry I don’t think it’s a good one. Both him and Paterson are not gonna get the game time with us they need.
With the number of games, Rangers are now involved in over any one season, injuries are inevitable. No one can possibly know how often two very talented young players will be used. Just need to think back to last season. Grateful that young Patterson was available to fill in when Tav got injured.

It’s just not easy……and neither should it be.
Do you think Tav will ever be a better RM than RB ? I dont.

With the number of games, Rangers are now involved in over any one season, injuries are inevitable. No one can possibly know how often two very talented young players will be used. Just need to think back to last season. Grateful that young Patterson was available to fill in when Tav got injured.
Plus, Davis is a year older. Im gonna guess Davis will play less minutes this season than he did last season.

I’ll be very disappointed if he goes out on loan, very composed in the middle of the park and will learn more now training and playing with the first team rather than a loan to another spfl side IMO of course

I wouldnt loan him. Jack and Arfield have had a history of injuries and with the Uefa conference league we are guaranteed 50-60 games this season so he will see game time.

Keep him with the first team. As a minimum, use him like we used Zungu, to shut games down and add legs to the midfield in last 15-20. You'd expect him to show more than Zungu did, so depending on injuries and fixture congestion you'd give him starts against weaker opposition to rest Davis, Kamara, Lundstram. How far back in the queue he is for starts of course depends on fitness of others and any other signings. If things are going great and by the winter transfer window we have all our first-choice midfielders fit and competing for places to the extent Kelly's out of the picture, maybe you loan him out till end of season. But by that stage, perhaps Kelly is establishing himself as a genuine first-choice midfielder. Exciting times.

I wouldnt loan him. Jack and Arfield have had a history of injuries and with the Uefa conference league we are guaranteed 50-60 games this season so he will see game time.
That is a point . Which raises the question in my mind should we be giving Stephen a couple of games in the 433 right mid / left mid roles of the MF formation we most often play ?

the thing is we now have Lundstram and still have the ever reliable Kamara and also aribo for LM

Doesnt look out of place in the first team. Given the competition he faces, best to loan out for the first half of the season, bring back and integrate into the first team squad with a view to next season.

He looks a prospect. In my opinion a year learning from Davis and Jack will be more beneficial than any loan. In a years time he could be a first choice in midfield. Some game time, substitute appearances and training with first team will do him better than shipping him out at this stage. He’s not too far off it.

Still questions being asked of this young man.Why on earth would we want to loan him out again ?:rolleyes:

I wasn't asking questions of him, I said he looks good enough to comfortably slot into our first team right now. The problem is we have 6 midfielders ahead of him - possibly 7 if we sign Veerman. It's only a question of what's more beneficial for him at this stage, being a bit part player for us and learning from Gerrard, Davis etc. or going on another loan to play more regularly.

I expect a few players will move on by next year which will be the real chance for him to establish himself, but right now it's difficult due to the sheer numbers we have in there.

He was given the playmaker role today, that doesn’t happen under Gerrard unless he trusts you. Kelly is a cracking player, but probably needs another 6-12 months playing regular competitive football at a high level.

I wasn't asking questions of him, I said he looks good enough to comfortably slot into our first team right now. The problem is we have 6 midfielders ahead of him - possibly 7 if we sign Veerman. It's only a question of what's more beneficial for him at this stage, being a bit part player for us and learning from Gerrard, Davis etc. or going on another loan to play more regularly.

I expect a few players will move on by next year which will be the real chance for him to establish himself, but right now it's difficult due to the sheer numbers we have in there.
If we sign Veerman someone has to leave given his price tag

If we sign Veerman someone has to leave given his price tag
True.

But it doesn’t change what that poster has said in his post. He’s still got 6 players in front of him.

And as the post says, it’s simply choosing what is best for his development - training with Davis and co, while getting a handful of games. Or, another loan.

Irrelevant anyway. Because we can all take great comfort knowing that Gerrard will call it right.

I’m unsure, personally. I think he’ll be loaned out.

Posted this on the match thread but Yogi Hughes absolutely raved about Kelly last season and made sure to praise his professionalism. The boy is ready.

Forget about next year,he is more than ready now.Teriffic wee player.
Everything (before Davis came on) flowed through him.;)

Forget about next year,he is more than ready now.Teriffic wee player.
Everything (before Davis came on) flowed through him.;)
The fact he was taking corners and free kicks shows that Gerrard obviously rates him. Watching him was like a young Barry Ferguson, constantly shouting and pointing at the rest of the team. Certainly not a scared young boy thrown in the deep end,

Can see young Kelly getting plenty of game time this season, definitely good enough to be in the squad.
Lundstram coming on stifled his game a bit as he was then the one starting play. Kelly’s passing is better though for me, looks for a lot of forward passes also, not the safe options.

For me I'd keep Kelly as an alternative in the Davis role instead of Veerman although if we made the UCL I'd go for him

He is 21 now so its now or never for him at Rangers has had 2 successful loan periods out with Ayr and Ross County so i would be keen to see him get some game time and hopefully he will be a success.

I know this is a thread about Kelly but Kai Kennedy came on af half time yesterday to make his Dunfermline debut and was excellent apparently

Gerrard has a big decision to make.

Personally I would keep him with the squad. Training with Davis every day will bring the boys game on more than loaning him out.

Boy is a player.
Definitely mate even start him as one of the three along with Davis in the games where we should win regardless boy gets himself about the pitch and isn't scared to do the dirty work a think he might be kept for jack's position a personally think he suits that better but nah he'll not be going anywhere untill atleast January on loan depends how we're sitting at that stage

He should only stay if we are going to use him. He needs to be playing regularly to continue his development. A loan may be the best option for regular football.

Back