Stephen Kelly

I would keep him at Ibrox this season and try and give him 10 - 30 minutes most weeks, with the odd start here and there.

He looks calm and composed on the ball, has a decent touch and vision and will learn from some experienced players around him.

Given that the beasts are in disarray and we still have plenty of skill and variety in our midfield, this could be a great season to blood him.

Keep Kelly just now and review in January. Davis will need rest and someone still might offer silly money for Kamara and if this is the case we may accept.
Kelly has been the stand out player for me this pre season. We give these players a chance so what does it say if we give them a chance and they do really well and we still just loan them out.

What will we do with him? Looks like he could comfortably be a first team player this season but there's a lot of competition in midfield. If we sign someone like Veerman on top of that it will make it even harder for him to get a lot of games.

Should we loan him out to get regular game time for a season with a view to next, or keep him in the squad and give him what we can here and there?

I’d keep him at the club & introduce him as much as possible similarly to what we done with Patterson last season.

Without getting carried away the kid looks as though he could slot right into the role Davis now plays long term.

What will we do with him? Looks like he could comfortably be a first team player this season but there's a lot of competition in midfield. If we sign someone like Veerman on top of that it will make it even harder for him to get a lot of games.

Should we loan him out to get regular game time for a season with a view to next, or keep him in the squad and give him what we can here and there?
6 month loan deal to get him game time then let's see where he is

He's looked ready every game I've watched him play. Cracking player from our development.

Kelly has shown enough to warrant a place in the squad. Letting him work with Davis, Lundstrum, Jack, Kamara (not to mention the gaffer and Gary Mac) on a daily basis can only benefit his long term improvement.

If he was to go on loan I'd rather we waited until January to send him. Keep him around the first team squad and see what his minutes are like when it gets to the winter window.
He's more than good enough to be Davis' deputy, his range of passing is brilliant and he's never scared to take it in tight areas, a rare quality in a Scottish midfielder.

If he has been the best midfielder during pre season then he starts. Simple. We don’t have any midfielders at the moment who are untouchable imo.

Have only seen him on tv, he will feature for the first team on plenty occasions this season, I am sure Stevie will pitch him in when the time is right. The boy has talent, step forward wee man let’s see what you can do and let’s go.

I reckon his immediate future hinges on whether or not we land Veerman (or similar).

Thought the boy was excellent yesterday,particularly second half. Difficult one for Gerrard though as the boy has to play regularly

Has been for most of preseason games imo.
Agreed BS, Gerrard said before the game that it was an opportunity for players to stake a claim. To then send him out on loan after being arguably the best player over the friendlies we have played would send out the wrong message. Train and play with Davis is the best option. It’s a long season with plenty games, we need that depth

Last edited:
I thought Kelly didn't look out of place yesterday showed a maturity amongst his decent performance.

Definitely looks capable of being part of the main squad possibly.

The talk of Veerman could it be possible he is the long term replacement for Davis ? With Kelly as the main rotate option/back up ?

Looks a player and he’s staunch

No one else has asked on page 1, so I'll do the honours. Is he?

I couldn't care less, but curiosity has got the better of me. I think he's a great player, but I'd be fairly surprised if a red head from Port Glasgow called Stephen Kelly grew up supporting Rangers.

Kelly has been playing in Davis' spot when he's featured and done really well.

Veerman can play there but it isn't his main position, I doubt it has any impact on Kelly at all.
That’s good to hear mate , I know Kelly is a direct replacement in Davis position , just wasn’t quite sure on Veermans

Kelly isn't just able to play that holding role he's very capable going forward aswell, like to see him in same midfield with Davis and kamara.
All 3 fantastic with the ball

Really want him to stay and get game time and train with us. But another 30 to 40 games on loan would really benefit him. I would like him to go on loan to a more technical league in Europe.

10-15 games and being around the first team squad all season with the demands that brings will benefit him far more than 30-40 at a lower profile club.

No one else has asked on page 1, so I'll do the honours. Is he?

I couldn't care less, but curiosity has got the better of me. I think he's a great player, but I'd be fairly surprised if a red head from Port Glasgow called Stephen Kelly grew up supporting Rangers.
I knew a young red headed lad from the Port with Lynch for a surname and he's followed Rangers all his life.

Veerman only 1 year older. Miles and miles ahead.

I do like Kelly but he'll be out on loan again.
I don’t think it makes much sense to loan Kelly out this season, I think 20 appearances in our system would be better for his development than 38 playing brexitball at this stage.

It also allows us to rest Davis without playing anybody out of position.

Veerman only 1 year older. Miles and miles ahead.

I do like Kelly but he'll be out on loan again.
18 months older and is ahead atm , but Kelly having played in SPFL already and getting games again this season , and he shouldn’t be going out on loan again . They arent direct replacement for each other either .

Interesting to read so many posts saying he needs to go on loan and play more games at the top level. He's played many, many more games 'at the top level' than either of Patterson or Bassey, for example. He has nothing to learn from another season at the likes of Ross County, Hearts or St Johnstone. Time to learn the more nuanced characteristics it takes to be a top midfield player by learning from the likes of Davis, Arfield and Kamara and under the excellent tutelage of the likes of Michael Beale. He has all the basics, in spades. He's been out and learned from his mistakes. Now he just needs the wee 'added extras' to make him a Rangers midfielder rather than simply an SPFL midfielder. That can only be learned at Ibrox.

Looks like he could offer more than Lundstrum in certain games, definitely more mobile and more suiting how we like to play. I think the boy has a real chance, and we should be keeping him and giving him a run when the opportunity presents, he definitely won't let us down.

Interesting to read so many posts saying he needs to go on loan and play more games at the top level. He's played many, many more games 'at the top level' than either of Patterson or Bassey, for example. He has nothing to learn from another season at the likes of Ross County, Hearts or St Johnstone. Time to learn the more nuanced characteristics it takes to be a top midfield player by learning from the likes of Davis, Arfield and Kamara and under the excellent tutelage of the likes of Michael Beale. He has all the basics, in spades. He's been out and learned from his mistakes. Now he just needs the wee 'added extras' to make him a Rangers midfielder rather than simply an SPFL midfielder. That can only be learned at Ibrox.
Stephen needs high grade development I agree VB. Were it a club that offered that option then perhaps it would be an option to go there . Like you though I feel the identity of our club and it’s standards are where he should further develop this season .
SG has in the past said two players for each role and last season I felt we found ourselves in a position where that was inadequate , that could happen again now that we are attempting to play CL so why not have Stephen as a 7th player for that additional cover . We could play him in cup games and also suitable other fixtures with a support cast of highly experienced professionals . Also as a substitute option to lighten the load in League games where the points are secured .

all the evidence is our back room staff and coaching and management are clearly superior to anywhere else he could go . And I would want the best possible for him and all of our players .
we have other youngsters coming through , and that excites the fan base and cuts our costs

Stephen needs high grade development I agree VB. Were it a club that offered that option then perhaps it would be an option to go there . Like you though I feel the identity of our club and it’s standards are where he should further develop this season .
SG has in the past said two players for each role and last season I felt we found ourselves in a position where that was inadequate , that could happen again now that we are attempting to play CL so why not have Stephen as a 7th player for that additional cover . We could play him in cup games and also suitable other fixtures with a support cast of highly experienced professionals . Also as a substitute option to lighten the load in League games where the points are secured .

all the evidence is our back room staff and coaching and management are clearly superior to anywhere else he could go . And I would want the best possible for him and all of our players .
we have other youngsters coming through , and that excites the fan base and cuts our costs
Agreed mate. One other thing that's just occurred to me. Much comment has been made on Kelly potentially being 6th or 7th in line in our midfield. He might be, he might not. However, as we saw with the missing players yesterday, we don't know yet how things will develop with Covid. Roofe and Aribo missing yesterday with 'hints' from Tyledesley that it could be Covid-related - maybe having been pinged or been contacted by Track and Trace. I can see missing players being a feature at all clubs, including our own, through this season. More than any other, this season might be the one where having a bigger squad becomes essential, despite costs.

100% keep him. He's going to learn so much more training with us than going on loan to a Dunfermline for example.

We can't play Davis for 90 mins every match so this boy will get minutes if he works hard enough.

I'm so sick of seeing Rangers loaning out these young players instead of building them up at the club. I feel we've lost a few potential players over the years not giving them the time and resources to grow.

If he was a player we had bought for a few million we'd be purring over him.
I have to agree, if he was a young French player and this was his first pre season with us we would be absolutely raving about him.

I know he has been getting a lot of praise but he absolutely must stay with the squad he could be a fantastic player for us and he has excellent technique, I never feel like he is going to lose the ball.

Not seen enough of him to really know what level hes currently at, but if hes good enough to get regular minutes off the bench domestically id hope we keep him. Hes not going to go on loan anywhere where he'll be playing against better players or working with better coaches. I think for any young player to have a chance with us weve got to take the punt at some stage and give them a go.

10-15 games and being around the first team squad all season with the demands that brings will benefit him far more than 30-40 at a lower profile club.
Agree 100%. What will he learn from another loan? The boy can play.

He needs to be 100% around better players and learning how we do things and what is expected. Also, when we NEED him and he has to perform in front of 50,000, he needs to have that chance and to be able to succeed. Playing against 2000 fans for a team of cluggers is not what he needs. Will only put needless wear and tear on his body.

Keep him in first team (homegrown) Euro squad. Let him come on, like patterson.

It’s how many are in front of him now.
When does he become the guy to fall back on?
Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Jack and Lundstram are ahead of him, for sure.
That’s before Veerman comes in!
What’s our first pick midfield?
If I was picking the team today and all were fit, I’d be going for Lundstram, Davis, Kamara.
If Lundstram doesn’t make a game, I’d pick Jack.
Arfield for Kamara and if Steve Davis can’t make it, my pick would be Kelly.

Arfield and especially Jack are prone to missing big spells of the season due to injury. Davis isn't getting any younger and despite his brilliant form last season whilst playing constantly from December onwards, I cannot imagine we'd ask the same again this coming season from him.

Kelly has shown up well this pre season playing in Davis' position and whilst not wanting to read to much into that I don't think that is by accident. He just has that look of being Davis' natural succesor.

If he goes on loan it's got to be a higher standard than last year. Maybe at English Championship level.

Back