Stephen Kelly

jomacbe

Good to see him up there in the running drills.

Interesting to see where he might go if it's a loan.

Loan would be beneficial for him as his first team chances will be very limited this season especially with amount of players we have for that position.

Hopefully a loan to a team like Dundee.

Morton as it’s just down the road from his house and it’s not done Robbie McCrorie any harm getting game time down this neck of the woods

I think he could make the breakthrough to the first team soon. However this season I would hope he gets a loan at as high a level as possible maybe someone like Hamilton

He’s clearly well thought of and has bags of talent.

His inevitable loan move is crucial though, needs to be the right one. Andy Dallas to Morton didn’t really work whereas Robby McCrorie seems to have been a success.

No point him going down the leagues IMO. He needs to go out and prove he can do it in the SPL.

There’s people questioning whether Turnbull would’ve been good enough to get in our side. That’s on the back of a very good 6 months playing for Motherwell.

Kelly needs to prove he can perform well at a similar level.

Do we see Kelly making it with us?

He seems a really good, classy player and clearly it seems like his fitness is up there.

He is highly rated by the management, academy and the Scotland youth setup.

But can we see him in the next 2-3 years, say in Arfields position, making a meaningful impact?

I don't know what it is, but I see a lot of Robbie Crawford about him from the way he plays, his reputation within the club, even his build and the aforementioned fitness.

I am just unsure if I can see him making that final step up.

Obviously, as much as any other youth player, I want him to and I would love to have 11 academy graduates playing for us but I see more potential (granted in different positions) in players like McPake and Dapo.

Kelly seems like a decent young prospect. We need to look after him and help him mature into the player we all hope he can become. He's a good bit off first team football right now but a season in the lower SPL team or top half Championship team would do his development no harm.

High hopes for young Kelly.
A loan would prove invaluable for his development, and as others have said in posts above, to another SPFL team would be most beneficial.

I'd like to see him go to Hamilton. You know younger players will get looked after there and the manager has been very complimentary of us previously. Just a shame about that bloody pitch.

His playing style when he is on the ball is so similar to Paul Scholes.

Obviously not saying he's as good as him but his technique on the ball is so good. Even is running style is the same.

I'm excited about Kelly, a naturally gifted midfielder. He clearly has great potential.

There was an interesting discussion with Michael Beale on the H&H podcast about this.

Saying that in loaning out players you identify where their ceiling is and then find an appropriate club/league.

It may be that they stay at Rangers if they're identified as a potential SPL first team player.

Stephen Kelly was actually specifically mentioned as one who wouldn't go down to the Scottish lower leagues - presumably as they see him as an SPL player.

Back