Sterling dropped by England after training ground bust up with Joe Gomez

mkgers

SPORT
BREAKING Raheem Sterling dropped by England after training bust-up with Joe Gomez
The two Three Lions' stars had a heated exchange during the Premier League title clash on Sunday which has spilled over into international duty

• BY JOHN CROSS
  • 23:17, 11 NOV 2019UPDATED23:24, 11 NOV 2019
IN PICTURES: LIVERPOOL BEAT MANCHESTER CITY 3-1 AT ANFIELD
Raheem Sterling has been sensationally axed from England’s Euro 2020 qualifier with Montenegro after a remarkable bust-up with Joe Gomez.
England boss Gareth Southgate has taken the amazing step after players witnessed Sterling re-ignite a row which started at Anfield on Sunday.

Sterling is understood to have still been simmering after the title showdown and immediately continued the row when they reported up at St George’s Park on Monday.
Manchester City star Sterling is understood to have tried to provoke a reaction from Gomez and witnesses said they heard him ask the Liverpool defender whether he was “still the big man.”

Read More

Teammates had to pull them apart during the Premier League match(Image: Getty Images)Gomez was in good spirits when he joined up for duty but soon rowed with Sterling(Image: Eddie Keogh for The FA/REX)
Gomez kept his cool and resisted getting involved but was left fuming by the row and was shocked that Sterling would react in such a way.
It is understood that Sterling later apologised to his England team mate but it was not enough for Southgate who decided to take the extraordinary action.

Sterling will remain with the squad and could play against Kosovo but Southgate wanted to make a statement after the row which happened in a private team area at St George’s Park.

Southgate said last night: “We have taken the decision to not consider Raheem for the match against Montenegro on Thursday.
“One of the great challenges and strengths for us is that we’ve been able to separate club rivalries from the national team. Unfortunately the emotions of yesterday’s game were still raw.

Mirror Football's Top Stories
Premier League team of the weekIs the title race over?10 Premier League talking pointsKeane and Mourinho make title prediction

“My feeling is that the right thing for the team is the action we have taken. Now that the decision has been made with the agreement of the entire squad, it’s important that we support the players and focus on Thursday night.”
It is believed Gomez is still angry after the row but Southgate will be hoping his action has defused the row.
The pair had shaken hands and embraced after the row at the end of the game at Anfield and that is why Gomez was so shocked that Sterling started it again 24 hours later.

The words "sensational", "remarkable" and "amazing" all used in just the first paragraph when it's really not. He's likely to miss just one game if even that. So tabloid it's painful.
Not every day this happens and to get quotes from southgate. Field day for papers.

Yep, made a right rip roaring c*nt of himself yesterday did Pep. Cringeworthy stuff.

He did, I could understand his anger though, the inconsistency of the officials and what went down in the first 20 minutes of the game has potentially all but ended their chances of retaining the title.

If they’re Liverpool players then yes
They are all there as England players.
Strange comment to make, though I assume it's probably tongue in cheek, when we have a Liverpool player playing most games for us.

He did, I could understand his anger though, the inconsistency of the officials and what went down in the first 20 minutes of the game has potentially all but ended their chances of retaining the title.
Not losing at home to Wolves or to bottom of the table Norwich?

They are all there as England players.
Strange comment to make, though I assume it's probably tongue in cheek, when we have a Liverpool player playing most games for us.

It was tongue in cheek, but I don’t really like Liverpool and as far as I’m aware I don’t have to like them as a result of having Ojo on loan. In fact I find the recent Liverpool love in a bit embarrassing, especially after the ribbing they’ve taken on here over the years.

It was tongue in cheek, but I don’t really like Liverpool and as far as I’m aware I don’t have to like them as a result of having Ojo on loan. In fact I find the recent Liverpool love in a bit embarrassing, especially after the ribbing they’ve taken on here over the years.
Likewise, I couldn't give a shit for them but there's no getting away from the fact they've done us a decent turn since Gerrard arrived.

Sterling absolutely lost it yesterday, I actually thought he wanted sent off with his constant dissent.
For him to shake hands yesterday, then start again today when it's fùck all to do with England shows him in a very bad light.

Likewise, I couldn't give a shit for them but there's no getting away from the fact they've done us a decent turn since Gerrard arrived.

Sterling absolutely lost it yesterday, I actually thought he wanted sent off with his constant dissent.
For him to shake hands yesterday, then start again today when it's fùck all to do with England shows him in a very bad light.

We’ve done them a turn, their players whom are not yet good enough to get in their side are getting invaluable experience of playing under pressure at a big club and of playing in Europe.

Yeah it’s absolutely petty from Sterling, no doubt about it. In saying that if it was a really meaningful game against top opposition something tells me Southgate would be happy to let him off with a slap on the wrist.

We’ve done them a turn, their players whom are not yet good enough to get in their side are getting invaluable experience of playing under pressure at a big club and of playing in Europe.

Yeah it’s absolutely petty from Sterling, no doubt about it. In saying that if it was a really meaningful game against top opposition something tells me Southgate would be happy to let him off with a slap on the wrist.
That's purely speculative.
I guess we'll need to wait for Raheem to have another meltdown.

I've never understood the way some seem to hate Sterling. Feel as though I've missed something because usually I can at least see a reason even if I don't share the sentiment.

England have had issues in the past with players carrying grudges from club to country. Be interesting to see if Southgate calling it out will work better than previous managers approaches.

Liverpool would be getting ribbed by people who were fooled by the invented mentally challenged love in.

Liverpool have always stood beside Rangers. Only their new age uneducated fans buy into any Bheast love in.

We wouldn't want our players to be lovey-dovey with Celtic players, particularly aftercare game where there's been flash points and we feel we've been cheated.

If it was Jack squaring up to Brown, would we be accusing Jack of acting like a wee dick?

I like that Sterling is still feeling emotional after Sunday.

Gomez comes out of that very well.
Particularly given he could probably throw the wee dick about like an empty tracksuit.

If I was Sterling and I had a serious problem with Gomez after Sunday’s match I would have waited until the first England training pitch opportunity and left one on him. Actions speak louder than words. But in all honesty in the heat of 90 mins I’m sure most of us who have played football have had fall outs with mates who were playing for the opposition but after the game you shook hands and forgot about it..........until the next time.

Was it Gomez that Sterling took the dive against to try and win a penalty, maybe it's the aftermath of that?

Unless Sterling has actually hit Gomez or said something about him that was really unacceptable then I don’t really agree with Southgate’s response. Altercations happen all the time in sport, pull them both aside and ask them to sort it out for the good of the team then draw a line under it. I don’t understand why Southgate mentions that the entire squad agree with the decision. Did he consult everyone before telling Sterling he wouldn’t play in the next match? Sounds weak and like child’s play to me.

Stuff like this happens all the time, sending him home seems a bit extreme tbh. Could come back on Southgate in time that decision.

If I was Sterling and I had a serious problem with Gomez after Sunday’s match I would have waited until the first England training pitch opportunity and left one on him. Actions speak louder than words. But in all honesty in the heat of 90 mins I’m sure most of us who have played football have had fall outs with mates who were playing for the opposition but after the game you shook hands and forgot about it..........until the next time.

Probably just as well you most likely don't play football at any serious level then, FFS.

Southgate is an embarrassment. He will take serious flack for this, and deservedly so.

Take the two players aside and deal with it in house.

Bet he would not have been so quick to bin Sterling if it was a must win game v Spain or Germany.

Rumour is that Sterling put his hand on Gomez throat while he was sitting at a table.

It could be nonsense but if it’s true you could see why Southgate would drop him.

Back