Steve Clarke says there’s a whiff of ‘bulls***’ about Greg Stewart’s Aberdeen move

Bonnyloyal

KILMARNOCK manager Steve Clarke insists there is a whiff of 'bulls***' about Greg Stewart’s loan switch to Aberdeen.
Stewart spent the first half of the season on loan at Kilmarnock, scoring eight goals, but was recalled by Birmingham City

Killie were hoping to bring the hitman back to Rugby Park on loan but he has instead moved to Pittodrie.
Clarke was at pains to point out he has no problem with Stewart but believes something smells funny about the deal.
Following the 2-0 Scottish Cup win over Forfar, Clarke said: “I only want to talk about players who are committed to Kilmarnock and want to play for us.
“If I am honest, the whole deal had a slightly strange smell right from the very start, but that happens in football

“So we’ll move on and I’ll work with players who want to be here and, hopefully, they do just as well in the second-half of the season.”
Asked what he meant by a strange smell, Clarke clarified: “Bulls***.
“I am not talking about the player here. It’s not the player. It’s the deal.
"But the deal is private and what happens when you speak with other clubs stays private. You can work it out. Look at the deal.”

They were barely paying f*ck all of Stewart’s wages.

Aberdeen are now paying more.

Birmingham well within their rights to do that.

A club like Kilmarnock calling bullshit whilst they pay players buttons but knock back big money moves reeks of hilarious hypocrisy.

So you would be cool if Bournemouth done it with us?

Sound like aberdeen contacted Birmingham while he was still at Kilmarnock and told them they would cover more wages

Mcinnes probably told him he had big plans of finishing second but made it clear he is not going to be part of a title race
Now that's what won't be published in tomorrow's papers. :))

giphy.gif

I agree with Clarke. The Sheep will indeed be paying more of Stewart’s wages. Let’s say they are paying £1000 - or even £2000 - a week more than Killie. For Birmingham City that amounts to peanuts over the next few months. I think they’ve treated Killie appallingly.

For the player as well, staying at Killie would have seemed the more sensible option to me as well. Particularly given his history at Aberdeen.

If we had a deal in place where he can be recalled then there’s f*ck all we can do.

I know for a fact that Gerrard wouldn’t whine in the press like that about it.

Nor do we knock back bids then refuse to play players their worth afterwards. For example, look at how we’ve looked after Morelos after big money bids. Compare that to the way Kilmarnock have treated Jones for the last 12 months.

Big bad world out there and money talks . Thought chelski Clark Would have known that by now.
Guzzumped by the sheep. Do things get any lower......

Surely it’s simple the sheep are paying more to Birmingham

as @JD1872 says above, It looks like they went straight to Birmingham while he was already on loan

If they recalled him then he was on a season long deal. How did Aberdeen know what Killie were paying & that they could afford to pay more? & why would they recall him (and lose out on the money) if they didn't already have a better offer?

Unless there trying to buy someone from Aberdeen and are loaning Stewart to sweeten the deal why is a team with a 750k a week wage bill really bothered about an extra £1k a week for 4months till his contract expires

Since Defoe was mentioned he can be recalled "if needed" in the summer(or next Jan) You can't just phone Bournemouth up and go "hey how much does Defoe get paid, and what % are rangers paying"

Doesn't matter whether any of us would be cool with it or not, they are entirely within their rights to do it & he is their player.

Killie would not be paying anywhere near half his wage, Aberdeen comfortably could, especially now - not sticking up for the sheep in any way but if we wanted him and done the same thing none of us would care and rightfully so.

as @JD1872 says above, It looks like they went straight to Birmingham while he was already on loan

If they recalled him then he was on a season long deal. How did Aberdeen know what Killie were paying & that they could afford to pay more? & why would they recall him (and lose out on the money) if they didn't already have a better offer?

Unless there trying to buy someone from Aberdeen and are loaning Stewart to sweeten the deal why is a team with a 750k a week wage bill really bothered about an extra £1k a week for 4months till his contract expires

Since Defoe was mentioned he can be recalled "if needed" in the summer(or next Jan) You can't just phone Bournemouth up and go "hey how much does Defoe get paid, and what % are rangers paying"

Not sure that approaching a club to take on a player already out on loan elsewhere is against any rules. It's been done before many times.

I agree with Clarke. The Sheep will indeed be paying more of Stewart’s wages. Let’s say they are paying £1000 - or even £2000 - a week more than Killie. For Birmingham City that amounts to peanuts over the next few months. I think they’ve treated Killie appallingly.

For the player as well, staying at Killie would have seemed the more sensible option to me as well. Particularly given his history at Aberdeen.

Treated them appallingly? Mate, he is their player, they executed a clause in the loan deal that was agreed by both parties at the start - whether it's unfair on Killie or not simply doesn't matter.

If we sent Ryan Hardie down-south instead of Livi because we were offered a small loan fee by an English team, would you even care about it? I know I wouldn't.

Yet Mcinness was on the radio saying it was nothing to do with money it was the players choice...who to believe?

Not sure that approaching a club to take on a player already out on loan elsewhere is against any rules. It's been done before many times.

I agree that its not, although I assume you would not be party to the current agreement so you couldn't just ask what they are getting and offer more. Looks a lot like they simply asked the question if say £5k a week would get him and they said yes

Clarke is alluding to some big conspiracy, but at the end of the day the player himself will have made the decision, Maybe his agents simply told him that Aberdeen can afford his wages were he to sign on a free after his loan and he's hasn't had any better offers & fancy's a backup plan

I’m not really bothered too much TBH but tend to agree that there is a unpleasant whiff to this one.

As an aside anyone on here backing the sheep over Killy simply hasn’t been paying attention have they?

From what I have been told, the player wanted to return to Killie however with Aberdeen willing to take on a far higher % of his wages it was the only offer they (BCFC) were prepared to accept!

Surely it’s simple the sheep are paying more to Birmingham

Not the point he is making thiugh.

TBF the point us not totally clear.
Does he me the start as in when Stewart signed?

Or is he talking about the start of Dons renewed interest post Dubai summit? And a possible cash injection for the sheep through a player sale during the next week ?

He’s going to a team that will finish behind Kilmarnock simply because the manager of that team is a shitebag. Hopefully Jordan Jones plays out of his skin against for the rest of the season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mulumbu back at Killie on loan too.

Birmingham will be trying to save any money they can. It'll get to the point though that Scottish clubs will have to make these loans without options of recalls. Feels like too many times a player does well and they get called back just to get loaned out again and this time the player has been loaned to a competitive rival in the same league

Being able to recall Defoe in the summer means it's a distinct possibility.

If it happens, it's as much our fault as anyone.

So just to clarify - you would be happy if Defoe was recalled by Bournemouth in the summer and then immediately loaned out to the bheasts??

That is in effect what is happening here.

Birmingham will be trying to save any money they can. It'll get to the point though that Scottish clubs will have to make these loans without options of recalls. Feels like too many times a player does well and they get called back just to get loaned out again and this time the player has been loaned to a competitive rival in the same league
Works both ways. Often the player doesn’t cut it and best to send him back.

So just to clarify - you would be happy if Defoe was recalled by Bournemouth in the summer and then immediately loaned out to the bheasts??

That is in effect what is happening here.
Not really though is it. Stewart is going from on mid table team to another. There is no bad blood between the two teams or between the player and either team.

Back