Steve Clarke - What did O'Donnell do wrong?

Clarke has never been a manager in charge of high profile players. He's clueless when he has some talent at his disposal. Being manager at West Brom doesn't cut it

As a “new age” right back (particularly when playing specifically as a wing-back) O’Donnells ability to produce in the final third is equally important as preventing attacks in his own defensive third.

On both counts, O’Donnell is quite simply pïsh!
I would say it is more important to go forward it gives width and more options for the striker and midfielders attacking it then puts the other team on the back foot making them defend more.

It is the lack of balance that is the problem. Opponents only have to concern themselves with Robertson. Whether it is Patterson or Forest, you have to give the opposition something else to worry about. Spread them out more and open up things for McGinn or Adams or Armstrong.

I'd go as far to say that O'Donnell is the worst footballer at the tournament.
To be honest O’Donnell is a decent full back at spl level not great that's why he is at a bottom 6 level team but never in a million years is he international class . You could pick out a half dozen right backs in the spl who are an equal to O’Donnell that will never play at national level , he only gets selected because the dinosaur manager had him at killie , The Scottish national team will never move on because we keep to this theory that you have to be a 6 footer plus & be of a certain age, youth has never been given a chance it's just the Scottish way , Evan at club level we don't play youth . Ineasta & xavi would have got about 30 caps between them if they were Scottish .

Clarke is one of those characters who you know is immune to change even when it's staring him straight in the face, much like Strachan was before him he gets a kick out of being an awkward bassa.

Not exactly the best type of guy who should be calling the shots as national manager - he will only momentarily change once he is backed into a corner which may be sooner than he thinks.

Stephens first job is a defender and yet you played him as an attacking wing back to provide creativity?

Nailed it one. It's like the moron doesn't understand the needs of the formation he used. In a flat back 4, O'Donnell is perfectly fine as a limited but effective defender. In a back 5 with 3 midfielders in front, all your attacking width is coming from left and right back. You don't really need a right back that is scared to cross the halfway line, and couldn't deliver a letter never mind a devastating ball into the box!! I guess our only objective in Euro 2020 has been achieved, i.e. participate don't impact.

I don't understand, is the Celtic supporting journo's in the scottish media wanting patterson to play, where is the need for that statement.

I knew these euros were going to be very difficult for Scotland the second I saw the team on Monday. One thing Scots know is football and for him to double down and defend O'Donnell, when the whole nation could see how limited a footballer he is, will be a mistake that will come back to haunt him. The tartan fanny element will turn on him when the inevitable defeat against England happens with a very similar team on the park. The stubborn old booze bag will then be chased.

Hes the worst player at the tournament. No joke he is terrible

The highlight from him this season was greeting in the BBC studio when hes boyhood team got pumped by St Mirren at home

The media in Scotland are embarrassing i cant believe how they wont criticise him and admit Patterson should play and its simply because he plays for us.

When your picking people like O'Donnell you deserve all you get. Steve Clarke absolute dinosaur

Friday is going to be a fuckin massacre now.

What a donkey Clarke is... and guaranteed he still keeps his job after we're pumped out the euros with zero points. Same old "Well we got there" rhetoric will be parked out.

Just because of who they are and where they play , to what is the drunk alluding to Is he suggesting O'Donnell is being unfairly rated by some , because O'Donnell is a Roman Catholic , self confessed Celtc supporter desperate to play for them , who on earth would he be hinting at there then....? If it is us then is he saying we shouldn't have an opinion on his quality .?Surely not a snide dig at us..? Or is it because he plays with Motherwell where the Hamilton Accies fans don't hold him in high esteem . O'Donnell is way out his depth , and should not be playing International football , nor should his manager be near the National side

Hail hail lay off the Ale......

Oh p!ss off Clarke,

I had built up some hope that England could have an off day and we could snuck a result on Friday but that hopes gone now.

Goal 1 came from a cross on the right
he backhealed the ball out for a throw
he tackled Ryan christie in the Czech penalty box…

Stubborn old fool.

I predict little change on Friday, a tanking, forced into playing Patterson/Gilmour etc against Croatia, win that and out on goal difference.
That stupid @rsehole is likely to throw them to the wolves. Wait till England are winning 4-0 and then bring them on with ten minutes to go, ergo they become part of the collective group embarrassed by the English.

The problem is that he can’t see what’s he done wrong which makes him even more clueless.
His only hope for Friday is for the SFA to pay carpet right millions to sneak into Wembley and resurface the pitch .

He is a poor manager - basking in the glory of qualifying from a third rate competition on penalties.
Plays not to lose at all times.
I just don't understand the excitement of watching Scotland with his tactics.
Dull, boring and as arrogant as they come.

Surely his team formation requires his fullbacks are more than defenders.We already have three centre halves. Is he playing a back five? So are to objectively review his performance based only on defending? defensively he was maybe not too bad. What about the other aspects of his role, are we not to expect he should be able to control the ball, not pass it out of play, not impede his own players, offer some width and pace in attack? Clarke treats everyone with arrogant contempt. He's an arsehole.

Last edited:
Just because of who they are and where they play , to what is the drunk alluding to Is he suggesting O'Donnell is being unfairly rated by some , because O'Donnell is a Roman Catholic , self confessed Celtc supporter desperate to play for them , who on earth would he be hinting at there then....? If it is us then is he saying we shouldn't have an opinion on his quality .?Surely not a snide dig at us..? Or is it because he plays with Motherwell where the Hamilton Accies fans don't hold him in high esteem . O'Donnell is way out his depth , and should not be playing International football , nor should his manager be near the National side

Hail hail lay off the Ale......
It was clearly at us and how highly we rate our reserve right back

Wasn't O'Donnell also the player who was slow to shutdown the cross for the first goal? Failed in his first duty then, no?
To be fair to O’Donnell I don’t think it is the right backs job to shut down crosses from the left.

Cant defend him on anything else though. We are so one sided going forward it is easy for teams to defend against us.

To be fair to O’Donnell I don’t think it is the right backs job to shut down crosses from the left.
Cant defend him on anything else though. We are so one sided going forward it is easy for teams to defend against u
I get your thinking but was he not the closest player the the cross and ducked out the way?

It wont make any difference, but if it was guaranteed to imprive Scottish football, I really hope we get murdered on Friday

Cant defend him on anything else though. We are so one sided going forward it is easy for teams to defend against us.
nonsense , he was on that side of the park ( only he knows why ) and was in position to shut the cross down , which he didn't . So because he's out of position are you saying he doesn't have to bother...?

Last edited:
It isn’t Connor Roberts job to score goals from full back & yet, there he was scoring in the 92nd minute for Wales.

O’Donnell offers nothing going forward and it’s a total myth that he’s steady defensively. Carthorse who isn’t international level. Get Patterson in.

Clarke can't see past McGinnis Forrest Christie & mcgregor natpatterson & billy Gilmour should have started manager is useless

Tbf, Clarke is just doing what numerous Scotland Managers have done in the past by refusing to pick the best or in-form players. O'Donnell should never be anywhere near an international squad. He's just an average, journeyman footballer.

Clarke is one of those characters who you know is immune to change even when it's staring him straight in the face, much like Strachan was before him he gets a kick out of being an awkward bassa.

Not exactly the best type of guy who should be calling the shots as national manager - he will only momentarily change once he is backed into a corner which may be sooner than he thinks.
I came on here to make a very similar point re: his personality type being so similar to Strachan.

Too stubborn to admit he got it horribly wrong and would rather go out in flames than make the obvious changes. Disgusting and such a waste

Broadfoot was in title-winning Rangers sides and played a strong role in the 2nd half of the season the year we got to the UEFA cup final.

He might be a dumpling nowadays, as well as a pr*ck but he was levels above SOD at RB on his day
Totally agreed different levels altogether . Was never worried about Broadfoot even against the likes of Arshavin, punched well above his weight.

O’Donnell is a run of the mill SPFL right back, nothing wrong with that, and he rarely gets absolutely torched. But he also rarely ever does anything positive whatsoever, and in the modern game that’s simply not good enough for a wingback

He’s got to defend the guy to keep confidence and morale up in the team. I’m fine with that. But, you have to acknowledge that we are in a knockout tournament, this match at home was our best chance for a win, and the opposition quickly realised there was nothing coming from that side, so didn’t need to defend it.

His teammates didn’t even want to pass it to him in an attacking zone!! Robertson started well, but they soon managed to shut that space down. With any sort of attacking threat from the opposite wing back, that becomes more difficult as the team has to spread thinner. They could just leave him open at all times knowing it’s either a backward pass or lost possession. Look at how we struggled at times with everything down the right and nothing on the left until Borna came good.

I’d actually buy him starting him in a backs to the wall, try and get a point situation, but not when we’re playing a team of a similar standard and trying to get a win. He set up quite an attacking system, but didn’t use the best players at his disposal for it, thus nullifying it. Totally crazy.

Back